Thread: Shore fishing in Seward?

Default Shore fishing in Seward?

I have an unexpected trip to Seward this weekend... no time for a boat ride, though. I've never fished the bay from shore (or any saltwater from shore for that matter) - anyone know where to go and what to throw? Is this time of year even good for shore fishing?

I just heard yesterday from a fairly reliable source that the kings are moving into the bay in large numbers and folks are catching them from the shore on both sides of the bay... just fyi... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

So are they snagging the kings from the shore or are they fishing for them? If fishing, are we talking bait or lures? Wife wants to get out of town this weekend and not sure if we want to go to Seward or try and get a few more from the Russian.

Most are snagging.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

For the record, here's the scoop... I got to the campground at the end of the Nash Creek Rd at about 9am. POURing rain. About a dozen folks waist deep in the surf (presumably because it was dryer IN the water). About 1 silver every 5 minutes being hauled out by someone. About noon, the rain slacked off and people arrived in droves. It's almost 3 now, I'd guess about 70 or 80 people up and down the shore. Most using snaggers (weighted trebble hooks). All in all, I've probably counted about 100 fish walking out of here over the past few hours. HOT!

Those silvers wouldn't happen to be reds, would they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I did say silver. Yeah, they are definitely reds. Maybe I meant to say "silvery fish"? lol

I took a quick snooze to get reenergized for the evening tide. Here's the beach at about 6pm.

Get at 'em son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

dock butt.jpg
    So the Mrs. and I ended up doing both. We hit the Russian ferry at 9am on Saturday and by noon had 3 limits (mine,hers,proxy) on the stringer. She wasn't ready to head home so we drove over to Seward and went fishing off the dock in the harbor for flounder. Ended up with a few flounder and a 22Lb halibut on lights action rod/reel and 20# test line. A big thanks to the guys on the boat near us that lent us their gaff!

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    dock butt.jpg
    So the Mrs. and I ended up doing both. We hit the Russian ferry at 9am on Saturday and by noon had 3 limits (mine,hers,proxy) on the stringer. She wasn't ready to head home so we drove over to Seward and went fishing off the dock in the harbor for flounder. Ended up with a few flounder and a 22Lb halibut on lights action rod/reel and 20# test line. A big thanks to the guys on the boat near us that lent us their gaff!
    That's awesome! So theres actually halibut right in the harbor in Seward? What were you using for bait?

There are occasional halibut in the harbor that come in following the sent trail from the cleaning stations and the processor. I was using some old hooligan I had in the freezer but I've also used hearing and pieces cut off of cod or cabazon I have caught while on the dock. This was the biggest I have got from the dock but have caught several 8 - 10 pounders before.

Are you guys talking about spring creek area for the reds?

Yes, Spring Creek is great for reds... but that was two weeks ago. Chums are coming up though! They have great eggs for silver fishing and can be smoked if still firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonPtRocks View Post
    Are you guys talking about spring creek area for the reds?