Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All king closed in interior...

Default All king closed in interior...

NO KING FISHING NONE . NO CATCH AND RELEASE.....AT ALL .IN.THE TANANA WATERSHED..THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER ,,,,DFAGS # ARE ALL WRONG....WERE NOT THE ONES WHO DID THIS....THIS KIND OF CONTROL ON US FROM DOWN RIVER FISHERYS IS WRONG ...LET US TAKE OUR KIDS FISHING,,CATCH.. AND RELEASE. I WILL FISH......CALL TIM TAUBE ADFGS 459-7200 ASK WHY NO CATCH RELEASE.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    NO KING FISHING NONE . NO CATCH AND RELEASE.....AT ALL .IN.THE TANANA WATERSHED..THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER ,,,,DFAGS # ARE ALL WRONG....WERE NOT THE ONES WHO DID THIS....THIS KIND OF CONTROL ON US FROM DOWN RIVER FISHERYS IS WRONG ...LET US TAKE OUR KIDS FISHING,,CATCH.. AND RELEASE. I WILL FISH......CALL TIM TAUBE ADFGS 459-7200 ASK WHY NO CATCH RELEASE.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And, by all means, when you do contact ADF&G, use this style of dialog, I'm sure it will work wonders....

/sarcasm.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Spent 2hr. On phone with dfags...asked tim wats up and why......shut down catch and release......salcha......

Perhaps, due to low numbers, ADF&G has opted to allow Kings to (hopefully) reach escapement goals. And while it sucks, it is looking ahead, and not opting to cater to the "ME ME ME!!" mentality.

King returns are dismal in a number of areas, and closing down the fisheries affected, while inconvenient, is likely a, ummm, ya know, good idea.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

We dont keep these fish,, localfishery ..were you can get out and fish with the kids catch release..30 years fishing the salcha river... Let the kids fish...!!!!

Nothing on the official EO website yet.... and there were two interior EO's issued y'day.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...ADFG=region.R3
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Not surprising, total shut down should have started years ago. The Yukon kings are in dire straights, there's not a reason in the world that folks need to be stressing them to death in the Salcha just for fun.

Stressing them to death ...wow....no reason. I dont think so..its called fishing .. And that run is strong over 10.000 fish some years up to 15000 kings ....min. Excapment 3300 fish made that in 3 days last year so dont tell me that run is hurting...its not,, they closed the salcha because no fish in the chena...... U work at afags......???/ its the tanana not the yukon...

eo 3-ks-02-14 5-6-14......

eo 3-ks-02-14 5-6-14......
    I was ex
    Gotcha… it was issued over a month ago. I was expecting something newer.

I believe the justification outline in the EO is pretty self-explanatory.

If Salcha were the only opportunity available, it would make for an extremely chaotic fishery with disproportionate exploitation on the only fishable stock. Not worth it.

Well done, managers.

May 06, 2014
    TANANA RIVER DRAINAGE CLOSED TO SPORT FISHING FOR KING SALMON EFFECTIVE MAY 12TH
    The Division of Sport Fish is closing all waters of the Tanana River drainage to sport fishing for king salmon effective 12:01 a.m. Monday, May 12, 2014. This closure prohibits all sport fishing for king salmon, including catch-and-release fishing. King salmon may not be retained or possessed. King salmon incidentally caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.

The 2014 Yukon and Tanana rivers Chinook salmon run is expected to be extremely poor and could be the worst on record. Strong conservation measures are necessary to meet escapement objectives. Severe restrictions are being placed on the Yukon River subsistence fisheries. The Koyukuk, Innoko and Coastal District subsistence fisheries are all being restricted for the first time. Also for the first time, subsistence salmon fisheries will be restricted to fishing gear that will allow the live release of all king salmon.

King salmon escapement goals have not been met in the Chena River in 3 of the last 5 years. Although the Salcha River continues to meet escapement goals, it is likely due to the heavy restrictions placed upon the downriver fisheries.

Restricting the Tanana River king salmon sport fisheries is warranted in order to meet the king salmon escapement goals on the Chena and Salcha Rivers and to support the conservation measures being taken by Yukon River drainage subsistence users.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

disproprotionat exploitation.... wow big words for for someone whos doesent know what goes on here .have u ever fished the salcha.....ive fished that river over 3000 hr for kings 33 years what do u know...about it......?????.

Moratorium on the imitation crab fishery
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I think there are many measurements to a person to include my-self some are good some are bad and some are in between. You have a right to be frustrated Whitefisher. In reality and as much as it pains me to say this being that I tend to lean in a certain direction "we" as sportsmen / women can and most times are our own worse enemies concerning "what" we allow to happen. There is no one group or person that causes such tragic events such as the closing of a favorite fishery a wise person once said you can only slice a pie into so many pieces before you have no pie! So we have the Feds / State / Commercial Business / Local Guide Businesses / Native Corps / Sportsman all vying for the same piece of the pie and all with there own pro's / con's why they should have more say and or harvest over the available species between groups. Sad part about it in reality we are all part of the problem and or part of the solution.

And if you wish to toss a poop bag my way for this feel free I know you are frustrated: Most of us tend to look at our situation i.e. what has happen to me our can happen to me in this case the Salcha River or Chena it is what we enjoy and have enjoyed for years including my-self however the ADF&G based on several factors is making its best attempt to maintain sustainable numbers of fish for all just not us. Nope I don't like it either not one bit and we should ask the questions and be firm about our position however such terms as D'FAGS etc.... and hostility over a fish may not be the best approach. All information concerning their EO's are public information might I suggest you make a request for that data for the entire drainage and see why they have taken the approach it just might they are correct and after reviewing it if you feel they are not heck post it on this Forum and see if you can gain support to raise the question from many people :-)

Regards
    RMM

Take your kid pike fishing and leave the kings alone.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Stressing them to death ...wow....no reason. I dont think so..its called fishing .. And that run is strong over 10.000 fish some years up to 15000 kings ....min. Excapment 3300 fish made that in 3 days last year so dont tell me that run is hurting...its not,, they closed the salcha because no fish in the chena...... U work at afags......???/ its the tanana not the yukon...
    Well Sir,, the Kings that spawn on the Salcha, swim up the Yukon to the Tanana and then past the Chena and into the Salcha river.

I have fished that run for years as well almost always with kids or older folks that can't get around very well.

I agree with the total closure. There are so many user groups that depend on this run that any management efforts will upset one group or the other. That is why it has been allowed to get to the point it is now.

Hard to get folks upriver that have ate these fish for generations not to keep any when you have city folks "playing" with their food "which many find disrespectful" anyway. I practice catch and release myself and do so on the Salcha only retaining those fish that are gilled.

I enjoy fishing Kings every year on the Salcha and that was a deciding factor when I bought my boat, but the resource has to come first, so that those kids you want to fish with, can fish with their kids.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 06-20-2014 at 10:30.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

alaska fish and game - wrong about king # on the salcha ,, i have more time trying to save this run then anybody out there i spend many hours talken to tom taube at adfag have you .....im well informed seams like you got your head in sand ........i was told i could set a net for whitefish n suckers----yum yum. lol at least i can go chum fishing a dog needs to eat.......

alaska fish and game - wrong about king # on the salcha ,, i have more time trying to save this run then anybody out there i spend many hours talken to tom taube at adfag have you .....im well informed seams like you got your head in sand ........i was told i could set a net for whitefish n suckers----yum yum. lol at least i can go chum fishing a dog needs to eat.......
    "I I I, Me, Me, Me"

I thought you where hiding behind "It's for the kids"?

What, precisely, have you done to "try and save this run" (which you also claim doesn't need saving)?

King runs are down in a lot of areas, and if you where so honestly concerned about kids, and future generations, getting to experience what we've been fortunate to have seen in our lives up here, you'd put on your big boy pants and stop ranting and raving like a spoiled kid, and perhaps recognize that ADF&G is trying to insure healthy runs on ALL waters up here.
    I quit targeting Kings years ago, due to the fact the numbers have been declining. It sucks, and I miss it, but I also recognize that there is a Bigger Picture, and it involves my Daughter, and her kids, and their kids, etc etc all getting to fish for Kings, long after I'm gone.

If we keep up this self absorbed bias that you exhibit, then the only stories of catching Kings that our future generations will know of will begin with "Once upon a time"......

I was wondering how those Kings look up north? ( Chena, Salcha ) Are they still nice and chrome, or are they blush, or mostly red, by the time they get there.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I was wondering how those Kings look up north? ( Chena, Salcha ) Are they still nice and chrome, or are they blush, or mostly red, by the time they get there.
    Having fished the Chena in my younger days, for Kings, that far upriver "Chrome" isn't much of a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I was wondering how those Kings look up north? ( Chena, Salcha ) Are they still nice and chrome, or are they blush, fire engine red, by the time they get there.
    Fire Engine Red!!! But the flesh can be very good still.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast