Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this hideous little bug a tick?

Default Is this hideous little bug a tick?

I don't play with bugs as much now that I'm a grown man, but I saw this guy on the piping on my jobsite today and it really got my curiosity going. Is this a tick or other parasitic bug? I've never seen a bug like this since I've been in Anchorage (1990). Have they made it up here already? Does anyone have info on the parasitic bugs in Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Nope, not a tick...they are from the evil weevil family of bugs and a strawberry pest though, and will eat into the fruit. I crush every one of those that I find.
    http://www.chris-schuster.com/Curculionidae
    "Grin and Bear It"

Looks like a Coleopteran (beetle) at a quick glance. Definitely NOT a tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Nope, not a tick...they are a strawberry pest though, and will eat into the fruit. I crush every one of those that I find.

Beat me to it.

Not a tick.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Looks like a strawberry root weevil.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Looks like a strawberry root weevil.
    Bummer...didn't know they liked the roots as well On a side note, this thread should probably be in the gardening section...unless someone is planning on hunting them.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Looks like my Ex-wife.........please crush with extreme prejudice.

That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

There are ticks here, and more coming north all the time. Likely only a matter of time before it's as bad as down south. Plug this into your search engine (without the quotes): "ticks site:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com"
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

These also eat notches in the edge of Rhododendron leaves-very crunchy little hard bodies

Future reference: at 1.2 million to 1, it is safe to say " if I don't like the looks of this I will kill it".

Lawyers disclaimer: this logic can not be used on people

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Future reference: at 1.2 million to 1, it is safe to say "if I don't like the looks of this I will kill it"...
    For me, it really doesn't have much to do with the way the bug looks, it's the damage they do in my strawberry patch...they are not allowed to chew on my berries, and will be crushed accordingly.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Those eat my 12" royal hibiscus plants. I kill them wholesale along with the green Chinese beetles.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :-)
    Oh isn't that nice...!!! Unfortunately, though I can't be sure, I may have found one attached to the side of my lab's mouth a couple days ago. The dog may have already scratched away the body and only head may have been attached. I noticed some blood there and just plucked away whatever it was. It bled off and on for awhile after that.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We didn't have ticks till about ten years ago. Since we are warming, next will be killer bees and armadillos.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    We didn't have ticks till about ten years ago. Since we are warming, next will be killer bees and armadillos.

Ron
    Ticks have been around up here a lot longer than that. People just were not as aware of them because they aren't the type to typically see on humans or dogs. Here is a story from the Fairbanks Daily News Miner from this spring about it.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7a43b2370.html

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Here is a story from the Fairbanks Daily News Miner from this spring about it.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...7a43b2370.html
    Wow....that was quite the enlightening article.........unfortunately.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The article is right, just like in Michigan, climate change is to blame.

Edwin Hubble

Here in the lesser 48 the whitetail population can take a lot of blame too. Here in MD you see deer everywhere, all of them are covered in ticks, and they spread them everywhere. Every time I take my dog out I have to check him, even with the K9 Advantix I still find them on him. Found one on him the other day that got engorged to the size of my fingernail.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast