Thread: Got my buddy a bear!

Default Got my buddy a bear!

Just got my buddy a nice bear today.... 6'10" Chocolate Blackie, taken in SE AK..

AWESOME, nice bear
    great of you to help a buddy get a bear.

Default Nice

That is a giant bear you guys took.

Beautiful Bear

Question

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Just got my buddy a nice bear today.... 6'10" Chocolate Blackie, taken in SE AK..

You should be proud...tremendous bear! What method, spot & stalk or over bait? And what cal. Marlin did you use? Also, rug or lifesize? Thanks, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I didnt shoot the bear - My friend that I work with did - He's hunting as a non-res and it was his first bear ever. I just put him on it

He was shooting a .444 Marlin.

We cant bait here so it was all spot and stalk....

I was really happy for him...Its an awesome first bear. The guy didnt even have a rub on him!

Its just a touch smaller than the blackie I took myself earlier than this year...but the color alone is absolutely AWESOME.

Default well done

One lung,

Do you SE guys/gals see many color phase bears? Every once in a while I will see ablack bear with the white blaze in PWS, but never any chocolale or cinnamon phases. What a trophy!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

In the particular area we hunt, we do see A LOT of color phases...Anything from cinnamon, to chocolate....Glacier....and sometimes Spirit bears - However we are not allowed to harvest "spirit bears" anymore...

Here is a true cinnamon phase blackie my buddy took in mid-late may this year (different buddy took this one)

That one is about 6'5" or so...nice animal too, side from the rub mark front and center...

Nice bear... Its always a good time when you can take a good friend on a hunt, even better when its a successful hunt.

I dont know if its the way the picture was taken or what but the bears front legs look real long to me..

Talking dog bear?

Quote Originally Posted by sean77 View Post
    Nice bear... Its always a good time when you can take a good friend on a hunt, even better when its a successful hunt.

I dont know if its the way the picture was taken or what but the bears front legs look real long to me..
    It could very well be a "dog" bear...long legged and more lanky, as opposed to the "hog" bear that is short legged, fatter and squaty, similar to a marmot. There can be both in the same area. Some claim that the dog's will square more because of the longer legs, but I'm not sure about that. Shorter legs, but a larger circumference (like wider across the back) I think might even it out.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.