Thread: Advice on 20 Mile River and Placer Creek

Default Advice on 20 Mile River and Placer Creek

Gents,
    I have a 16.5' inflatable boat w/a 40HP outboard. Is either 20 Mile or Placer doable for that kind of boat, or do you pretty much just see jet boats running those creeks? I'd estimate my boat can do about 18 - 24" of water safely.

I'm not looking to do anything too intense, just hoping to expand the boating locations I've been taking the wife and kids to. So far we've done lakes (Kenai, Skilak, Big Lake) and a short trip in PWS. When driving down to the Kenai, I've seen guys putting their boats in on both of those creeks and thought they looked interesting.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Pete

I would not take a prop on either of those rivers.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I would not take a prop on either of those rivers.
    BK
    Ditto. I have seen lots of jets hit bottom and/or get stuck

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    Ditto. I have seen lots of jets hit bottom and/or get stuck
    Check. Thanks for the advice, that would have made for a frustrating trip!

I've done it a few times with an inflatable and 15hp prop. Had to buy a new prop afterwards though. It's doable but you will hit in a couple places
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

There was a jetboat tour company that ran the 20 mile a few years back. Not sure if they still run it. They had custom made steel hull boats and they tore them up on all the rocks. That was the one river I refused to run with my boat. Too many folks did too much damage to their boats for my comfort factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    There was a jetboat tour company that ran the 20 mile a few years back. Not sure if they still run it. They had custom made steel hull boats and they tore them up on all the rocks. That was the one river I refused to run with my boat. Too many folks did too much damage to their boats for my comfort factor.
    Andy is still running it with a jet craft I think it is, and a sport jet inboard. He has 1/4" plate steel down the middle and around the intake. Just looked the other day, it is wicked dented and it is amazing the abuse it must take. Lifespan on that boat can't be very long.

I would'nt even dare run that river with a prop unless you like to buy lower units and props!!

I've done it many times in my 12' porta-bote and 6hp. Prop is very shiney and a little ragged. If not for the Mac's river runner prop guard, I'm sure it would have been history long ago. I consider myself very lucky. Nice thing about that light, little rig is you can get out and pull it along while you look for some water. My neighbor has left parts of 2 different jet units up there. As with any stream it can get dangerous in a heartbeat. There are lots of sweepers in the upper river and a new crop every year to go along with, and/or cause channel variations. All you have to do is lose power and commence to enjoy a leisurely float back out...get hung sideways on some debris because you didn't have oars or poles to help maintain a course...tip a gunnel under and that's that. Wasn't it just last year that there was a fatality on 20 Mile due to following the above recipe or similar? I realize the OP is talking inflatable, but I see a lot of minimal freeboard craft up there. Deceptively gorgeous place.