Thread: Remove 'Ask a trooper' forum?

Default Remove 'Ask a trooper' forum?

Although I find some of the questions asked in the "ask a trooper forum" interesting, the forum has never been updated or answered by a trooper in almost two years. It seem like it would be better off as a FAQ anymore, since obviously you can't expect your questions to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Although I find some of the questions asked in the "ask a trooper forum" interesting, the forum has never been updated or answered by a trooper in almost two years. It seem like it would be better off as a FAQ anymore, since obviously you can't expect your questions to be answered.
    While we're at it, how 'bout we dump the Surfing forum too.

And why is there no Alaska Sailing forum under the Alaska Boating Section?

why not let them be? they contain information that will only be lost if they are taken away. I believe that the "ask a trooper" forum is not active because (a) nobody wants to ask because they would prefer to speculate about regulations in the other forums and (b) people are not using the Ask a trooper forum correctly.
    A sailing forum sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    So true!

There are already so many sub-fora that it takes forever to scroll down.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    So true!

There are already so many sub-fora that it takes forever to scroll down.
    I can think of more than just one or two forums to dump; more like 10 or 12--or more. Seems like the goal is to have the most amount of forums, regardless of their usefulness. Maybe we're purposefully aiming for 100 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I can think of more than just one or two forums to dump; more like 10 or 12--or more. Seems like the goal is to have the most amount of forums, regardless of their usefulness. Maybe we're purposefully aiming for 100 or something.
    On the contrary. We don't have any number in mind at all. The "Ask a Trooper" forum was actually requested by the Alaska State Troopers, and they intended to be more engaged in it. We can follow up with them to see what gives, but they asked us for that one. As to the others, we add forums as there seems to be interest. That's really the only criteria, besides the fact that it needs to be focused on topics of interest related to the Alaska outdoors.

The 10-12 forums you would like to dump are very likely important to some of our members. Not all of us like the same things... our primary interest is in serving the Alaska outdoor community.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ... they intended to be more engaged in it.
    My wags:

• It was a well intentioned idea from someone who has moved on.

and/or

• Most of the questions inevitably ask for interpretation of law, and whereas rendering legal opinions is outside the scope of the Troopers authority, someone behind the scenes has brought that to their attention.

IMHO, a more useful forum would be: "ask the State Attorney".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The "Ask a Trooper" forum was actually requested by the Alaska State Troopers, and they intended to be more engaged in it. We can follow up with them to see what gives, but they asked us for that one.

-Mike
    It's great for them to do that, but to insist on so many "ground rules" it makes people not want to bother. Which I feel is unfortunate.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Too bad they can't be bothered. Could be a useful forum.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

We will revisit this issue once our hunting and gathering season is over. Some good comments here that we should look at.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay