Thread: EO closes L'il Su.... who'da'thunk'it?

Default EO closes L'il Su.... who'da'thunk'it?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1968

LITTLE SUSITNA RIVER CLOSED TO KING SALMON FISHING

The Little Susitna River is closed to fishing for king salmon effective 12:01 a.m., Friday, June 20, through the remainder of the king salmon sport fishing season. The closure prohibits sport fishing for king salmon, including catch-and-release fishing. King salmon may not be retained or possessed; king salmon caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately. The closure includes all waters of the Little Susitna River from its confluence with Cook Inlet upstream to the Parks Highway Bridge. Little Susitna River anglers may continue to fish for species other than king salmon downstream of the Parks Highway Bridge.

To date, only 19 king salmon have passed the Little Susitna weir, which is located at approximately river mile 32.5 and four miles upstream of the Little Susitna Public Use Facility (LSPUF).

The escapement goal for the Little Susitna is 900-1,800 king salmon based on a post season aerial survey. Over the past three weekends approximately 200 harvested king salmon have been reported in an exit survey conducted by the Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation at the LSPUF. Staff surveys and angler reports indicate king salmon holding in the lower river under conditions of low water making them vulnerable to harvest. Staff surveys, harvest reports, and weir counts to date indicate the escapement goal is not likely to be achieved without further restrictions. At this time it is prudent to prohibit further harvest until the run can be more fully assessed and close the Little Susitna River to king salmon fishing.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Knew this was coming last week. F&G was hoping the counts would come up but they didn't. Like the release stated, the fish are just hanging in the lower river and not moving up.

Someone in Fish and Game needs to be fired. Right now. How can they justify dropping the EO restrictions on Northern District setnet, then a couple days later drop the hammer on the Little Su sport fishery because of no fish through the weir? They have 2 weir counts in the system, tracking Susitna runs and Knik runs. One is ok, the other is dismal. Does Fish and Game commercial division have any capability of "conservative management?"

I can't believe they waited this long to close the river down.

I can't believe they opened it in the first place.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I can't believe they opened it in the first place.
    DITTO, can't believe any of the valley streams were open to kings this year.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Someone in Fish and Game needs to be fired. Right now. How can they justify dropping the EO restrictions on Northern District setnet, then a couple days later drop the hammer on the Little Su sport fishery because of no fish through the weir? They have 2 weir counts in the system, tracking Susitna runs and Knik runs. One is ok, the other is dismal. Does Fish and Game commercial division have any capability of "conservative management?"
    No kiddin'- Did Obama appoint the F&G management or what?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Never should have opened it in the first place and then for them to watch 200 kings get bonked - W T H...........lashed first - then fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Never should have opened it in the first place and then for them to watch 200 kings get bonked - W T H...........lashed first - then fired!
    They are most likely just following orders from the guys who are higher up in the chain of command...politics as usual.
    "Grin and Bear It"

They are most likely just following orders from the guys who are higher up in the chain of command...politics as usual.

No doubt there are politics at work. Too much of what goes on in the management of the upper cook inlet salmon stocks is behind closed doors away from the public eye. Upper cook inlet salmon management has also been the "red headed step child" of F&G for years. 75% of the management effort has for years been on the lower inlet and the Kenai River.

I know this will probably fire up the commfish folks (sorry guys), but maybe it's time for an organization similar to KRSA for upper cook inlet/susitna drainages? I know that a lot of folks aren't fond of KRSA and there have been accusations of shady back room deals but you have to admit that they at least have a united voice and enough political horsepower that F&G listens to them. Without some kind of unified group that represents the interests of all the users in our area and garners a seat at the table for constructive dialog with F&G, we are stuck.

Whoever "They" are - I would be happy to help with the lashing - it should be a televised event.

Thumbs down This stinks!!!!!

I find all of this depressing, AND THEN, as I'm running the big Su yesterday.... What do I see???
    Any guesses?? You'll love this... Not 1, but 2 fish wheels below the Yentna river. I'm like WT*!!!!
    I've never seen fish wheels on the Su, EVER.. Dismal fish counts, EO's, and here's two wheels going...
    Oh, and the processing camps and tent city looks like South Rolly campground on Memorial weekend!!! Something is SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE!!!
    My rant....

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I find all of this depressing, AND THEN, as I'm running the big Su yesterday.... What do I see???
    Any guesses?? You'll love this... Not 1, but 2 fish wheels below the Yentna river. I'm like WT*!!!!
    I've never seen fish wheels on the Su, EVER.. Dismal fish counts, EO's, and here's two wheels going...
    Oh, and the processing camps and tent city looks like South Rolly campground on Memorial weekend!!! Something is SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE!!!
    My rant....

Pretty sure those are the F&G wheels used to estimate the king run. I saw them setting them up back in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Pretty sure those are the F&G wheels used to estimate the king run. I saw them setting them up back in May.
    Don't you know you shouldn't disturb people when they are jumping to conclusions, they might miss their landing....

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Don't you know you shouldn't disturb people when they are jumping to conclusions, they might miss their landing....

No biggie, I thought the same thing when I first saw them. My buddy that was with me clued me in.

You're right, I digress...my bad... I never had heard about this "project"...
    I just called Fish n Game... It's just when you see all that going on and there are no boat decals or FnG signs, it gets ya wondering. They said they don't have funds for a sign or stickers.. Go figure..

And Anchskier, you'll be alright, get over it.... It was "No biggie"!! Thanx for the encouragement and correcting me tho... Much appreciated...

My rant....
    The fish wheels are for various projects being ran by ADF&G and other agencies.

Edit: Someone beat me to the punch
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

My rant....
    F&G has been putting up those 2 fish wheels below the Deshka on the Big Su for years.. Should you ever catch a salmon (of any species) with a yellow "tag" It will have a serial number on the tag, and a F&G phone number to call and let them know.. it's one of their ways of tracking what fish are going where... F&G also puts up 2 fish wheels on the Yentna, a little ways below Luce's. I think their primary concern there is the Reds..

Glad to see they closed it. It should have never opened. Hopefully they'll keep it closed for a few years.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com