Thread: More Trailer Stuff...

Default More Trailer Stuff...

This is the trailer my 22' Harvey project was on. The frame is chopped off so it is 17' 6" from the base of the V block above the winch to the aft end. It was decked with 4, 2X10's which extended 2"6" beyond the frame to accommodate the boat. I imagine that was quite the springboard back there as it had a Johnson 115 on it when I bought it. The question is...could the frame be safely lengthened those 2'6" or should I just send it down the road? I almost hate to sell the darn thing because it is the smoothest towing trailer I've ever experienced. I guess that could be due to the 15" tires and 10 leaf springs. Any idea as to how much something like that would cost if it was even doable? Maybe I should just keep my eyes out for a used one that fits right from the git go. Thoughts?

That looks to be a very easy job for any welding shop to be able to extend that frame 2'6" since the way its built. I would caution that you might need to slide the axle back, but shouldn't have to if you're putting the same boat back on it. The balance should be the same minus the 100#'s or so of steel you're adding to the rear. Call around your local welding shops.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    That looks to be a very easy job for any welding shop to be able to extend that frame 2'6" since the way its built. I would caution that you might need to slide the axle back, but shouldn't have to if you're putting the same boat back on it. The balance should be the same minus the 100#'s or so of steel you're adding to the rear. Call around your local welding shops.
    The trailer was originally a tandom and now the aft axle remains after the chop job. With the 2'6" addition figured in, it would be exactly 6 feet from the center line of the existing axle to the aft end of the trailer.

Point is, the boat wont be changing position on the trailer. And since you has 2x6's running lengthwise down the trailer you really wont be altering the balance of anything. Just now supporting the ends of them for loading/offloading more than anything. The frame rails appear to be pretty much a parallel run of stand c-channel material. Box across the tails and maybe one new cross member. Shouldn't take but a couple of hours to extend and standard material. Good luck with the project.

I see what you mean. Thanks for the help...much appreciated!

Reach out to AKmud on here, he'll fix you right up for the right price.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Reach out to AKmud on here, he'll fix you right up for the right price.
    10/4 Steve, I know he has a good rep around here. The project boat went on a different trailer only to prove that I ain't no engineer. At this point, I'm trying to decide which trailer is the more logical to alter. Either way, I'll probably smarten up and involve a fabricator.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    10/4 Steve, I know he has a good rep around here. The project boat went on a different trailer only to prove that I ain't no engineer. At this point, I'm trying to decide which trailer is the more logical to alter. Either way, I'll probably smarten up and involve a fabricator.
    Rob has something a lot of guys don't have, common sense. You have the basics just make it work. Take a look at Loadmaster trailers of port clinton ohio website, they built my trailer no problem when others just about hung up the phone when i asked about a trailer for a lobsterboat hull and they have a lot of pictures of their trailers on the website.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692