Thread: I Think My Taxidermist Is Getting Senile...

Default I Think My Taxidermist Is Getting Senile...

I wasn't going to post this but its been bugging the crap out of me. I have been using the same Taxidermist for over 20 years now with no complaints but my last experience was total BS. I brought him a Grizzly to have made into a rug, the skin was in premo condition (fleshed, paws out, ears turned, exc. exc. exc.). He measured it and we agreed upon a price. Just recently I got a call to pick up my bear and he charged an extra $200 for fleshing and charged for the finished length of a stretched rug. I was pissed, I told him there's no way in hell I'm paying for the fleshing but he stuck to his guns charging for the finished length, not the green length we agreed upon. He stated that this has always been his policy but it wasn't on the previous 4 rugs I've had him do. Is this common practice now? Needless to say I've found a new Taxidermist... Rant over

Based on many of the reports I read on taxidermists I'd pay the higher prices if your confident in his work, at least you were getting your own stuff back how you wanted it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Based on many of the reports I read on taxidermists I'd pay the higher prices if your confident in his work, at least you were getting your own stuff back how you wanted it?
    Actually, the quality of his work isn't what it used to be either. Very disappointed

#1 rule, get all contractual agreements in writing. One of the biggest mistakes people make in all aspects of life. Sorry to hear about the issue though it sounds like you have moved on to greener pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Actually, the quality of his work isn't what it used to be either. Very disappointed
    Sorry to hear that, I find it very sad there are folks who don't respect the work their client put in to obtaining their specimens enough to do a quality job on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no comment on the F&S, but I always charge on the finished rug. I give you an estimate on the length if its brought in green and not salted, I can usually be within 6 inches on the finished rug. I take 50% down on that estimate and tell you the balance will be figured on the actual length. I'm charged per foot on the tanning and rugging and my prices are per foot on the finished rug. If it comes in salted rock hard I try my best to give you a quote, but qualify it by saying you pay for the finished rug length. Ive never had anyone complain that their bear came back too big.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Definitely not complaining that the bear came back too big but I am complaining about expecting to pay a certain price then getting a big surprise upon completion. I also forgot to mention I had my skull cleaned and it's now MIA. There was a bunch of stuff that went on that was completely unacceptable.

That's why I charge a Flat rate on my bear rugs.

No squabbling over an inch or two in length. It either is or it isn't.

All measuring should be done on the stretched & Dried finished rug.

I still cant believe guys are charging a FLESHING FEE. That is Rediculous.

We NEVER charge a Fleshing or a Skinning fee if we are mounting no matter how large the animal is.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Fleshing, skinning, salting and shipping is a large part of the process. Billing appropriately seems like a good business proposition. If I brought in a quality hide with a professional synthetic tan (not too old) would you provide me a discount?

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    That's why I charge a Flat rate on my bear rugs.

No squabbling over an inch or two in length. It either is or it isn't.

All measuring should be done on the stretched & Dried finished rug.

I still cant believe guys are charging a FLESHING FEE. That is Rediculous.

We NEVER charge a Fleshing or a Skinning fee if we are mounting no matter how large the animal is.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Hi RJ,

As far as I know your business and one other business in the state include the cost of skinning/fleshing in your mounts - every business person has to do what they think will work for them and what is fair for their customer.... But I was interested to find out WHY AK is different from the lower 48 in this aspect of taxidermy business..thought I would share it here..... According to a fellow who used to be at taxidermist up here, back in the day (70's), all the taxidermy shops separated out the cost of skinning/fleshing because there were a lot of guided hunts which (at that time) included the skinning and fleshing in their hunting trips. Thus, if the taxidermists got an animal to mount from a guided trip, they didn't have to worry about that aspect of the job. As a result, they decided to separate the costs of skinning and fleshing from the mounting price, and so it is and has remained to this day - at least for the most part.

Again, for my business, I believe it is more fair to the customer to see exactly what they are paying for - that is the way I learned to run my business, from another long lived taxidermy shop here in the state. Regardless, as long as the taxidermist is up front and honest about what the costs will be, and puts it in writing, on the invoice, no harm no foul, I believe.

As for the flat rate price, I do wonder if you ever have someone ask you for a discount on a bear rug that went an inch or two over the smaller size (lower priced) bear. That is probably the one and only reason I go by the foot on my prices. I think the flat rate price would be easier in just about all other aspects...BUT - I would feel badly for someone who had to pay the next size up cost, because it was 'just' over the length of the smaller sized rug. That could be a $500 - $1000 difference, depending on the taxidermist you went to...An expensive couple of inches, IMO.

And Bighorse,

I can't imagine a taxidermist NOT giving a discount for an already tanned hide to be mounted.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!