Thread: smith island?

Default smith island?

Well I have some family that wants to go out on the boat and do some fishing. There not very sea worthy and one of them is pregnant or else we would be going to seward. So trying to stay in relatively calm water we decided to go out of whittier this weekend. Be as it is I have never been to smith island and was curious if this a decent place to take the family to do some fishing and sight seeing. This is about as far as I will comfortably go due to fuel range, unless I take extra fuel. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Smith can be productive for Halibut if the long liners haven't it cleaned it out, but I've been out there after the long liners and with about 2 dozen sport boats in view there were only a handful of fish caught between all the boats.

I generally take visitors to the group of islands off the N end of Knight. If it's calm, fish the East side, if it's kicking up fish the West side. Should have no problem getting people hooked up on rock fish. Disk Island is a great place for a lunch break and to let people hike around.

There are some black bears on the island, but generally not a problem. On the way back I like to head through Culross Passage.

If they're more interested in sight seeing than fishing, I'd suggest deep water bay.

Shrimping can be good at the mouth of the bay. If the weather is nice, eating fresh shrimp on the sandy beach in Deepwater Bay will stick in your families memory as a high point of their trip if not life.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'd still go to Seward. There are more options available in the event some of the crew find that the water isn't where they want to be. They can do the Sealife Center or just walk around town and visit the shops etc. As far as boating/fishing in relatively calm waters, Thumb Cove, Humpy Cove, Sunny Cove are options...maybe even Mary's Bay and Agnes Cove.

That's a good point about options in Seward, really none in Whittier. But, if you have members of the group that are prone to sea sickness, PWS waters are generally gentler on passengers as you don't get those slow rollers out of the gulf. That said, I highly recommend bonine for anyone who is prone to sea sickness or even think they might get it. It's allowed my wife to go from, I hate boating to having a great time on the water.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Yeah, seward does produce some nice rollers out in the gulf and that is what I am trying to stay away from.

Paul H. what is bonine? I usually ask everyone before we head out if they get sea sick or if they think there is a chance and if so I give them Dramamine. Nothing like coming back early because someone is sick.

sea sick for the women because her is expecting, at some point get some hard candies to suck on not a cure but it will help a lot, no worry about
    the idea of her expecting , the candy won't hurt an it might help, works great for me , as well chewing gum for some people,
    SID

Bonine is an over the counter anti motion sickness medicine that isn't suppose to cause drowsiness the way dramamine does. All I know is my wife has been using it the last few seasons and it really helps her out. Ginger is supposed to be a natural method and having some ginger candies on board isn't a bad idea.

I rarely get seasick, but have had a couple times in Resurrection Bay where the fog is low to the water and you can't see the horizon and those slow rollers have you feeling green in the gills. I know if I felt that way every time I was on the water I'd also hate boating.

There is good halibut fishing out by little smith if you find the underwater finger that juts out from it. I could almost count on a hundred pounder every time I went there. Good red snapper fishing on the Whittier side of Lower Passage in 300-350 of water. In close to Disk Island you can get some black sea bass some times. Try drifting with jigs off of Ingot Island in 90-150 ft of water, you can do pretty good on halibut.

If you go to the Smith's, it's usually best to go around Eleanor Island to get there. The seas can get ugly on the east side of Knight Island if you take Lower Passage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    sea sick for the women because her is expecting, at some point get some hard candies to suck on not a cure but it will help a lot, no worry about
    the idea of her expecting , the candy won't hurt an it might help, works great for me , as well chewing gum for some people,
    SID
    When my daughter was preg we would take real ginger flavored hard candy for her to suck on as well as some real ginger ale and pickled ginger, like from a sushi place. Ginger is supposed to help and my daughter said it did. Hard peppermint candy is also recommended.

Thanks for all the info in regards to smith island, bonine and ginger. Lots of info that I did not know. Will definitely be picking up some bonine and giving that a try(sounds better that Dramamine).

Here's another one to consider: Motion Eaze. It's a liquid and you just dab a little behind the earlobes. It worked well for my boys when they were younger and prone to seasickness (fortunately, they all grew out of it). You don't have to use it hours before hitting the water, either.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson