Thread: New (to me). Scott Albany

Default New (to me). Scott Albany

So the girlfriend bought a Subaru down in Oregon, just so happens there was a Scott Albany on craigslist. Needless to say I swooped it up as fast as I could dial the number. The downside is there is a small crack along the bottom that I will have to repair, which I wasn't informed of when we had talked on the phone. I have no experience working with fiberglass so it kind of worries me but I couldn't pass it up for the price. What size motors does everyone run on their albanys? I was thinking a 9.9 but I am curious of running a 15 on it, good idea or bad? Any advice for repairing it would be greatly appreciated as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just got back into town and have been looking and searching through past posts trying to find info about actually making repairs on these canoes and have yet to find anything specific. If anyone could at least direct me to a place somewhere in anchorage where I could get some help figuring out what product to use and maybe some tips so I don't screw it up I would really appreciate it.

I have an Albany. Great find. What motor can depend on a few things, including your own lifting ability, if you're going to lift your canoe's motor, 2 stroke vs. 4, and more.

The short story is I've got a Tohatsu 15 4 stroke and it does work very well for me. A phone call might be a good way to help more than that.

Here's what FM's Albany canoe looks like when he loans it out:

Quote Originally Posted by AKSasquatch View Post
    Well I just got back into town and have been looking and searching through past posts trying to find info about actually making repairs on these canoes and have yet to find anything specific. If anyone could at least direct me to a place somewhere in anchorage where I could get some help figuring out what product to use and maybe some tips so I don't screw it up I would really appreciate it.
    Fiberglass work isn't that difficult. It would be a little hard to explain here on the forum, but there's a wealth of info here on youtube.... http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ss+boat+repair
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the info, I've watched a few videos but I wasn't sure if there was a difference with the Scott's construction and that of other fiberglass boats that I would need to take into consideration. I have a line on a 4 stroke suzuki 9.9 for a good price, I was originally thinking of a surface drive but I think I'm just going short shaft until I get comfortable with it

Quote Originally Posted by AKSasquatch View Post
    I have a line on a 4 stroke suzuki 9.9 for a good price
    That should be a fine motor. Bring extra props and know how to change them. Bring an extra prop nut to replace the one the your cold fingers let fall into the water. ;-) Research lifts that you can add to that boat and motor in a year or more. Two thumbs up.

if you are looking at a lift an want to see what they look like I will show you what I have , if you want one, a man on this forum has
    made some , find him on this forum under the for sale section his handle is AKMUD custom IRON WORK
    I think or some thing like that , SID 677-0205 Anchorage

was wrong it iis """ welding fab jobs """ this forum under for sale section

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Bring extra props and know how to change them. Bring an extra prop nut to replace the one the your cold fingers let fall into the water. ;-) Research lifts that you can add to that boat and motor in a year or two
    Thanks for the tips, I read through the build for the lift you put on before I had even bought my Albany and I am thoroughly impressed, you did an awesome job. I doubt I would be able do do something that intricate with my lack of fiberglass experience. I'm afraid just fixing a 3" crack, which will be my project when I get back to town in two weeks and I'm already worrying about how I can mess that up before I've even taken it out.

Do you have any pictures of your lift Sid? I am back at work for a few weeks(also known as research time) and am interested in looking at all my options

Hi Family Man, with your experience with the 15 on your Albany, any thoughts on whether the Albany could make any use of an extra 5 HP without things going sideways? The reason I ask is I am looking at the new Suzuki 15 as an upgrade to my current 8, and I see the weight of the 20 is the same as the 15, only a little more money, so it begs the question...

Last year my wife and I spent a month in our Albany in the waters inside Vancouver Island, for me its just a bit more safety margin when we need to beat some weather, get through some tidal currents, etc. Most of the time we are happiest plodding along about 6kts.

I own a 19 Grumman , an I vote for the larger HP you might never need it but it is ther if you need it , an on long trips you will use it I think.
    SID