Thread: Moose Hide

Default Moose Hide

What are the chances of getting money for a moose hide in Alaska after a hunt while in Alaska?
    "Everything in moderation including moderation"

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    What are the chances of getting money for a moose hide in Alaska after a hunt while in Alaska?
    Do you mean the hide or the cape?
    If you were able to have it fleshed and salted you might be able to sell the hide to skin sewers for use as leather - although as leather it is very very thick, so has somewhat limited use as a garment hide.

Cape - if you had it fleshed and salted would bring more money outside (lower 48) than up here - the larger the bull, the better. Your best be would be to freeze and take it with you.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Do you mean the hide or the cape?
    If you were able to have it fleshed and salted you might be able to sell the hide to skin sewers for use as leather - although as leather it is very very thick, so has somewhat limited use as a garment hide.

Cape - if you had it fleshed and salted would bring more money outside (lower 48) than up here - the larger the bull, the better. Your best be would be to freeze and take it with you.
    I mean the whole thing. Head to tail. Although the leather might come in handy for belts and axe guards in such. I guess it would be a good choice to freeze and have a person turn it into leather.

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    I mean the whole thing. Head to tail. Although the leather might come in handy for belts and axe guards in such. I guess it would be a good choice to freeze and have a person turn it into leather.

aha - a life size skin - I hope you know how much work that is LOL! There are a couple of taxis up here who might be interested, but the market for life size moose is not that big... Again you'd probably be better off selling it in the lower 48.

leather wise - it is supple, not like steer or cow hide - so using it for belts and such probably would not work...Think of elk leather, tripled in thickness. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

aha - a life size skin - I hope you know how much work that is LOL! There are a couple of taxis up here who might be interested, but the market for life size moose is not that big... Again you'd probably be better off selling it in the lower 48.

leather wise - it is supple, not like steer or cow hide - so using it for belts and such probably would not work...Think of elk leather, tripled in thickness. LOL
    That is pretty thick I guess.

~~Oscar Wilde~~

Just think how many people get Moose in AK. It's a popular meat animal and the trophy is most often just a rack as the full shoulder mount is very space and cost prohibitive.
    Historically Native Alaskans would camp on a Moose kill and do all the processing on site.

My wife loves to work with moose hide for her beadwork.
    It must be tanned soft though. Otherwise it is too tough to get her beading needle through.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I would think a full green moose hide less salt would weight over 300#.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Gonna need a Argo for sure.

~~Oscar Wilde~~

I fleshed, salted and then rolled (sorta folded) a moose hide to have it sent out for tanning last fall. It was not a huge moose but not a small one either. I was able to pick up the hide green and salted alone and I'm a desk jockey so it probably weighted around 100lb. It cost me $140 to ship it to Idaho, mostly because I couldn't get it very small (it was super stiff) so I had to pay oversized shipping. Taxidermist in the valley wanted $800 to tan it.

Hope this info helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    ive packed out a few back capes, from the neck to the tail, and they are probably somewhere around 120#s soaking wet. Cause I don't think I'd carry anything heavier than that

weighed a shoulder cape off a 70+" bull from cordova, after two days in the salt it was 150lbs....i can almost garuntee you won't be moving a lifesize hide off a mature bull. but...some guys are not normal either.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I fleshed, salted and then rolled (sorta folded) a moose hide to have it sent out for tanning last fall. It was not a huge moose but not a small one either. I was able to pick up the hide green and salted alone and I'm a desk jockey so it probably weighted around 100lb. It cost me $140 to ship it to Idaho, mostly because I couldn't get it very small (it was super stiff) so I had to pay oversized shipping. Taxidermist in the valley wanted $800 to tan it.

Hope this info helps.
    Yes, it is helpful.

~~Oscar Wilde~~

We just got a hide done. Was $700 bucks. Caribou was $125. Wife is picking them up in Fairbanks now. Not sure what I'm going to do with them. Maybe just hang them on the back of the couch or the lodge wall. We'll see how much shedding they do. Going to be cool to see how they came out!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com