Thread: Problem with new stainless duoprops

Question Problem with new stainless duoprops

I have been running B3 aluminum props on the SeaSport, and have switched out to C2 stainless. Everything seemed to go together ok, but upon starting her up in Whittier last week I experienced a "thumping" sound when I shifted into forward gear. Shut her down and looked everything over. No visible problems and I could easily turn props with boat stick.
    After playing with it at the dock for a few minutes I realized that it thumped immediately when it shifted into forward. If I pushed the shifter just a small amount more it was quiet. Pushing the shifter handle was not enough to increase the rpm. It was still at idle.
    Took her out of the harbor and turned a couple of circles to test out on step and everything was good. Ended up going out for a few days with no increase in problem. (NO decrease either).
    Now at home, I need to address this problem. I am hoping its a shifter cable adjustment due to the much increased weight of the stainless props. I have never fiddled with the linkage under my shifter throttle and I was hoping someone here could offer some experience on this subject before I dive in and try to fix it. Any information or tips would be much appreciated.

Gary you might start at the cable connection/adjustment on the drive. As to the thumping did you put all the washers/spacers/line cutters back on the drive when you put on the new props ?? Check that the drive is fully going into gear by looking at the lever on the top box of the drive. If you need help with the adjustments just call. More than happy to help.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Gary you might start at the cable connection/adjustment on the drive. As to the thumping did you put all the washers/spacers/line cutters back on the drive when you put on the new props ?? Check that the drive is fully going into gear by looking at the lever on the top box of the drive. If you need help with the adjustments just call. More than happy to help.
    agreed. easy to miss that washer between the duoprops as it usually gets wedged into the back prob pretty tightly.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for the offer of support Steve. I have not had the time to get back into it yet. Will check and recheck and hopefully figure it out. I'll give you a jingle if I need some assistance. I've got other pressing projects on the front burner right now and not planning on using the "Sandy Lee" until mid-July. Could be a few days. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W View Post
    Thanks for the offer of support Steve. I have not had the time to get back into it yet. Will check and recheck and hopefully figure it out. I'll give you a jingle if I need some assistance. I've got other pressing projects on the front burner right now and not planning on using the "Sandy Lee" until mid-July. Could be a few days. Thanks again.
    Just call me and i'll come over.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

As Steve said you can always disconnect the shift cable and engage the drive manually to see if this is a problem with the linkage. Which outdrive are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    As Steve said you can always disconnect the shift cable and engage the drive manually to see if this is a problem with the linkage. Which outdrive are you running?
    Good seeing you guys the other day ! How'd you make out with your snafu ??? How many pairs of those proctoligist's gloves did ya go through ?? Guess i wouldn't want to go into your office and see grease under your fingernails! Do you do any adjustments from the electrical shift box back to the drive or does the box make up for any adjustments electronically ?? Never dealt with that kind of stuff so just curious.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Great to see you Steve! There are no adjustments to be made at all. For the DPH-A outdrive you:

1) Set the electronic shifter to neutral.
    2) Then manually shift the outdrive to neutral.
    3) Place the cable assembly into the indexed portion of the sleeve and tighten the bracket that holds it in place. This keeps you from guessing where it is to be mounted.
    4) The threaded portion of cable tips allow one to spin on the tip that connects to the shifting linkage and adjust it to the appropriate length.
    5) The cable tip is connected to this linkage and the washer/cotter pin are used to secure the cable to the linkage.
    6) Shift it back and forth a couple of times to satisfy one's curiosity with the outdrive trimmed throughout the operating range. No problems were encountered either time that I've changed the shift cable. No adjustments required afterwards.
    7) Secure cable clamps in the engine compartment.
    8) Get back out on the water!

Pictures upon request. Hope that this helps out...and, yes, I try to keep my hands in good shape. I've met a gold miner who was also a general surgeon and wondered how long he'd have to scrub those hands prior to putting them in the gloves...