Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Making a CLAM GUN

  1. #1

    Default Making a CLAM GUN

    Hi guys-

    I work in a RR maintenance manufacturing plant and going out on a charter for clams. What thinking of making a clam gun, Now we have different sizes of thin walled tubing- what would be the min. and the max. and what length you would make the tube.


    I'm going to weld the top on the tube with pipe fitting to put the 1/2 pipe handle

    I know that it works on vacuum. I'm not a small guy either.

    Just thinking that if I make it 5 1/4" ID and about 16" long-it shouldn't break the shell, but would the vacuum be there?

    Thanks for the help.

    Thanks for the help with the rest of the trip

    14th for reds
    15th for clams
    16th for reds
    17th overnight for double halibut.

    Hopefully we can figure out the reds without to much problems.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and have fun.

  3. #3
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    You do realize how a clam gun works don't you?
    In a clam gun the handle is hollow but the ends are sealed.
    There is a small hole underneath the handle to allow air out as the gun goes in.
    Then you plug the hole with your finger to create the suction.
    You would likely need to test it to ensure it works properly.
    I like the Aluminum ones as they are much easier to carry.
    Please post pics and a report when you get back.
    I take it your charter is to the west side of the inlet?
    Good luck.

    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  4. #4

    Default

    I have a 4.5-14 Veri-X III Leupold on my Clam-Gun, and have taken clams out to 500 Yards.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    723

    Default

    I would think a Mark AR with firedot would make more sense. But some people always have to see how far away they can kill something.

  6. #6
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,839

    Default

    I heard tales of paralytic shellfish poisoning maybe at clam gulch area last weekend.

  7. #7
    Member Daveintheburbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    648

    Default

    I was always interested in making one out of PVC or similar plastic tubing. You see some made this way for sale occasionally. They just cap off the end, put a T handle on it and drill the hole where you can seal it with your thumb. As I recall 4" tube. The standard metal ones always seem to have too short a handle. Let us know how it works.

  8. #8
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I heard tales of paralytic shellfish poisoning maybe at clam gulch area last weekend.
    I am doubtful of it being clam gulch. I hear that beach gets tested regularly.
    Guess it still could be.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    It actually was clam gulch. I remember reading in the article about the ones they tested, something like "f & g caught and tested clams" and my first thought was not about the result. I was surprised they found clams there at all. Whoever named it did that beach no favor...

  10. #10

    Default

    OK-What I'm looking at is 5 1/4" thin walled tubing. Putting a 11gauge top on it with a 1/2 hole-to fit the 1/2" pipe(handle)-

    How long do you think the 5 1/4" pipe should be? I'm thinking about 18"- 24"

    Also- do you think using a clam knife for cleaning or I seen on you tube a quick steam bath to open them(question is availability)

    We are going out with Ninilchik.

    Do you think we stand a chance with the reds? My son has aspergers(you wouldn't know it though)- he is fired up and is not going to let anything to stop this time.

    Thanks for all the help

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default yes on reds

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    Do you think we stand a chance with the reds? My son has aspergers(you wouldn't know it though)- he is fired up and is not going to let anything to stop this time.
    This is looking to be a banner year for those sockeyes. You and your son should do well if you mind the timing. Those salmon are there when they're there and otherwise not. Salmon run timing historical escapement numbers are easy to find online.

    Great job getting your son out. He sounds like a lucky kid.

  12. #12
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Last time we went we got out my turkey fryer/crab boil pot and burner.
    Loaded the basket AMD dipped in boiling water for just a few seconds.
    Then in ice water.
    They all opened up and no knife needed.
    100 clams opened in seconds.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ANCH.
    Posts
    488

    Default

    We always put our clams in a cooler with fresh water and dump corn meal all over them. Dump and repeat a couple times about 30 to 45 mins apart. Never had any problem "shucking" them out of their shells with a knife so we never tried the boiling water thing. The corn meal helps them push out any sand they have in them and makes them easier to clean in the end.

    I would say a tube about 20 to 24 inches should be long enough. When you do the handle I would keep in mind how far you want to bend over (inserting into dirt) and how high you want to lift with the suction fighting you and make the handle length accordingly. One thing I recommend you keep in mind is the strength of the joint where the handle meets the tube body. Regardless of how hard I have tried to make sure I am pushing and pulling a clam gun straight both ways I still tend to put pressure on it at an angle and end up bending the joint.

    Have fun with the clamming and fishing, may you have an enjoyable safe and rememberable trip. Good luck with the harvesting and catching, may your freezer end up as full as your memories!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am doubtful of it being clam gulch. I hear that beach gets tested regularly.
    Guess it still could be.
    It was Clam Gulch. It wasn't from their testing, it was from an individual who reported the illness after eating clams from there.

  15. #15
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It was Clam Gulch. It wasn't from their testing, it was from an individual who reported the illness after eating clams from there.
    I actually read an article on it and you are absolutely correct.
    I am surprised though as I was always under the impression that Clam Gulch was tested regularly and this is the first case I have heard of from the peninsula.

    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I actually read an article on it and you are absolutely correct.
    I am surprised though as I was always under the impression that Clam Gulch was tested regularly and this is the first case I have heard of from the peninsula.

    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I think I recall hearing a discussion on the news about this and ADF&G or someone similar stating that this was the first time they have ever seen or heard of it in this area. I guess it serves as a good reminder to everything that just because it hasn't been seen somewhere before or just because it is tested regularly doesn't necessarily mean you are in the clear. There is always going to be a chance of running into it, however low the odds, and people should be aware of the potential. I don't know enough about it to know if there really is any precautions that can be taken other than not eating it in the first place (not really a good option for those who like that stuff), but at least if people know the symptoms they can recognize it earlier and get treatment before it gets worse.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    We always put our clams in a cooler with fresh water and dump corn meal all over them. Dump and repeat a couple times about 30 to 45 mins apart. Never had any problem "shucking" them out of their shells with a knife so we never tried the boiling water thing. The corn meal helps them push out any sand they have in them and makes them easier to clean in the end.

    I would say a tube about 20 to 24 inches should be long enough. When you do the handle I would keep in mind how far you want to bend over (inserting into dirt) and how high you want to lift with the suction fighting you and make the handle length accordingly. One thing I recommend you keep in mind is the strength of the joint where the handle meets the tube body. Regardless of how hard I have tried to make sure I am pushing and pulling a clam gun straight both ways I still tend to put pressure on it at an angle and end up bending the joint.

    Have fun with the clamming and fishing, may you have an enjoyable safe and rememberable trip. Good luck with the harvesting and catching, may your freezer end up as full as your memories!
    THANK YOU- I will start the project this week.

    We have some weld flange fitting- I'm thinking a 1/2" handle-probably 24" long also.

    I'm not going to assemble it until we get up there. with pipe dope and PFE tape to seal the suction.

    Thanks again for everyone posting- Is there places a guy can get spotted shrimp (frozen) for the trip home after we are done?

  18. #18
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    THANK YOU- I will start the project this week.

    We have some weld flange fitting- I'm thinking a 1/2" handle-probably 24" long also.

    I'm not going to assemble it until we get up there. with pipe dope and PFE tape to seal the suction.

    Thanks again for everyone posting- Is there places a guy can get spotted shrimp (frozen) for the trip home after we are done?
    Cool let us know how it turns out.
    For the shrimp stop at Johnson brothers guide service office on the sterling highway in downtown Soldotna. They usually have it for sale.

    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •