Thread: Women's retriever & spaniel training group

Default Women's retriever & spaniel training group

In 2012 a small group of women formed an informal retriever training group. We've expanded to include flushing spaniels this year. We are interested in having additional women join us. So here's the information:
    1. We are informal. There is no trainer or pro. We help each other out.
    2. We throw bumpers, ducks, and pigeons, or whatever else someone has brought with them.
    3. We meet mostly in Anchorage, but also Eagle River and Mat Su Valley. We are open to training in new locations.
    4. We work water and land.
    5. We help each other out, we encourage each other, we have fun with our dogs.
    6. No dog abuse will be tolerated.
    7. We don't have any problem with e-collars unless a dog is abused.
    8. You don't have to have a dog with field breeding, any dog will work just fine as long as it retrieves. So mixed breeds are fine.
    9. Age of person and dog is not a factor.
    10. Knowledge of field work is not required.
    11. We work on retrieves and blinds and quartering.
    12. We plan for AKC retriever test/trials and spaniel tests, and NAHRA tests. We would do HRC rules too, but there is no active club in Alaska. Some people DO NOT compete in our group and just enjoy training their dogs. So competition is not required or expected.
    13. We prefer to be female only. Some women get intimidated when guys are around, so we like to keep that part out of the picture.
    14. We want to have fun, enjoy time with our dogs, and learn how to be better handlers.

We meet generally on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. We can meet additional evenings, it's whatever people have time for. We generally decide where we will meet every week and whether we want to work land or water. We meet year round. Potter Marsh is excellent in the winter.

So post back here if you are interested and I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for reading.

Nice idea.
    Have fun with your dogs. That's really what it's all about.
    Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Thank you!
    We want to be inclusive, not exclusive. We don't have it all figured out, but we want to have fun and enjoy our time with our dogs. At events it always surprises me how many women are in the game. Then I meet many who would like to be, but don't know how to get started. We're all about working together to get where we want to go.

RR
    I do a Wednesday evening training class out in the Peters Creek and Hay Flats area, geared for NAVHDA and VDD style hunting dogs and we have a number of gals that show up every session.
    It's fun and the gals we have are serious. We do versatile dog training, plenty of water work and upland pointing dog stuff. I am sure on day we will cross paths.

Are you tied in with any of the retriever groups or Arctic Bird Dog? I did the Arctic Bird Dog Family Fun Day last Saturday and it was a blast. There are some upland flusher guys in that club. NAVHDA is geared more toward pointing style upland hunting.

Good Luck and above all, have fun with your dogs.
    Don

I was there! I was the woman with the golden retrievers. We did the spaniel tests. It was a lot of fun. I definitely will be back. I did not go watch the pointer tests, I didn't want to miss how the spaniel tests go together. So I missed you and your dogs. Now that goldens can run the spaniel tests, we're looking forward to those tests later this summer. I am encouraging all my golden friends to come to the spaniel tests. So next year I think there will be a nice contingency of goldens at the field fun day. So we have already crossed paths!

Ha Ha Ha.
    Small world. I remember and that's no little feat for me. Keep in touch.
    Don

Sounds great. Send any women that want to get together on Thursdays or Sundays my way if they are spaniels or retrievers.

I was there as well. Good to have you join us.

Dori, did you go with the spaniel group or he pointers? I regret not watching the pointers since it's something I know nothing about. Next time I will. I'm hoping to run my dogs in the spaniel test in July, but my MIL is in town and my husband has this crazy idea that I stay home and help entertain her...

Quote Originally Posted by Runningreds View Post
    Dori, did you go with the spaniel group or he pointers? I regret not watching the pointers since it's something I know nothing about. Next time I will. I'm hoping to run my dogs in the spaniel test in July, but my MIL is in town and my husband has this crazy idea that I stay home and help entertain her...
    Get the MIL tossing bumpers.............
    Don

Thanks! Great idea. She loves my goldens.

Quote Originally Posted by Runningreds View Post
    I was with the pointing group. It was a fun weekend.