In 2012 a small group of women formed an informal retriever training group. We've expanded to include flushing spaniels this year. We are interested in having additional women join us. So here's the information:
1. We are informal. There is no trainer or pro. We help each other out.
2. We throw bumpers, ducks, and pigeons, or whatever else someone has brought with them.
3. We meet mostly in Anchorage, but also Eagle River and Mat Su Valley. We are open to training in new locations.
4. We work water and land.
5. We help each other out, we encourage each other, we have fun with our dogs.
6. No dog abuse will be tolerated.
7. We don't have any problem with e-collars unless a dog is abused.
8. You don't have to have a dog with field breeding, any dog will work just fine as long as it retrieves. So mixed breeds are fine.
9. Age of person and dog is not a factor.
10. Knowledge of field work is not required.
11. We work on retrieves and blinds and quartering.
12. We plan for AKC retriever test/trials and spaniel tests, and NAHRA tests. We would do HRC rules too, but there is no active club in Alaska. Some people DO NOT compete in our group and just enjoy training their dogs. So competition is not required or expected.
13. We prefer to be female only. Some women get intimidated when guys are around, so we like to keep that part out of the picture.
14. We want to have fun, enjoy time with our dogs, and learn how to be better handlers.
We meet generally on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. We can meet additional evenings, it's whatever people have time for. We generally decide where we will meet every week and whether we want to work land or water. We meet year round. Potter Marsh is excellent in the winter.
So post back here if you are interested and I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for reading.