Thread: Just pulled the trigger on Pentax PF 65ED-A II

Thumbs up Just pulled the trigger on Pentax PF 65ED-A II

Whoo Hoo! I just got off the phone with Doug at cameraland and ordered my Pentax PF 65 EDA II spotting scope body and a Pentax XW 14mm eyepiece. From all the reviews I've read this is supposed to be one sweet setup. Lot's of good info here: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=396

Doug at cameraland is a great guy. If you need to buy optics give this guy a call.

Thanks Doug!

Good deal, Doug cant be beat as far as prices and customer service goes. You think that thing will see some legal rams this year? <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Good deal, Doug cant be beat as far as prices and customer service goes. You think that thing will see some legal rams this year? <grin>
    Oh man...I sure hope so!! That's the plan anyway. I guess that depends on the guide though! It should have no problem resolving horns. I've been waiting months to get this scope. I had a Burris Spotter similar to the Nikon XL and Bushnell Elite's but wanted something better. I bought it on ebay last year, used it on my sheep hunt and then sold it on ebay for what I paid for it. Decent scope but not in the same league as this Pentax with the XW14 fixed eyepiece. I'll let you know when I get it and you can check it out. I'll be posting a review here also.

Default Eyepiece

What power is that fixed eyepiece? 14X? That would seem pretty low for a sheep set-up?

The 65 ED has a focal length of 390 which makes the XW 14mm 28x (390/14), 70 degree FOV, 20mm of eye relief and very bright. With extremely high resolution. The eyepiece is what makes the scope and the XW's are known as some of the best eyepieces made. I have talked to numerous guys who have this combo and swear by it. High quality fixed power eyepieces produce a better image than zooms and in most cases even better that the big three zooms. From what I understand the XW eyepices are so optically superior that higher power eyepieces won't really resolve any more detail but rather just magnify the atmosphere and make the image a little larger and darker. In other words 28x with the XW will resolve much more detail than say a 40x or higher power, lower quality eyepiece or a zoom. For times when the atmosphere will permit I may buy a higher power fixed eyepiece like the Pentax XF 8.5mm (5ozs). Or vixen 8-24mm zoom (8ozs) instead for the flexibility. I'll try the XW14 first though. 8-24 would give me 16-48x. But, again 28x through the XW will produce a better image than 30x or higher in a zoom.

The nice thing about the Pentax scopes is that they take standard 1.25 inch astronomical eyepieces. Of which there are hundreds to choose from. I figure the XW 14 is a good place to start.

Pentax Eyepieces

Default Let me know how you like it . . .

I've been following your quest for the spotting scope with interest. The Pentax EF65 II with the xw eyepiece sounds like a great combination. I have been considering which scope to buy for some time and may just follow your lead if it works out well for you. I'm interested to see if you decide upon a variable power eyepiece in addition.
    Congratulations, and keep us posted.
    DrB

Ya, will do. It's tough to buy something lke this when you can't touch and feel everything. They have a PF 65 ED (not the new II model) at SW here in town with the Pentax XF zoom so I have at least been able to check it out enough to know I don't want the XF zoom. Not enough eyereleif for me with my overhanging brow. Plus they want 799 for it!

Vek just bought the same setup as me and pm'd me that he hasn't had a chance to use it yet.

For most of the time the 28x high resolution of the XW 14 eyepiece should be perfect but there may be times when a little more power may be usefull. Provided it's with a good eyepiece. I'll have to try this thing out and go from there.

Snyd,
    If you don't mind a few Q's
    Is the EDA an angled eypiece?
    How much for your setup?
    And, IYO how does the Pentax compare to it's Swarovski 65 equivalent?

I too am looking to pull the trigger on a high end spotter and so far the Swaro is the best thing I've looked through...but $1,800 bones is a bit steep for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Snyd,
    If you don't mind a few Q's
    Is the EDA an angled eypiece?
    How much for your setup?
    And, IYO how does the Pentax compare to it's Swarovski 65 equivalent?

I too am looking to pull the trigger on a high end spotter and so far the Swaro is the best thing I've looked through...but $1,800 bones is a bit steep for me.
    Ya, EDA is the angled. I have not been able to look through them both side by side with comparable eyepieces. From all the research I have done and guys I have talked to the bottom line is that Pentax scope bodies are as good as the big three, nikon, kowa, etc. That includes the 65, 80 and 100mm Pentax scope bodies. But, what makes the difference is the eyepiece. A pentax xw or other high quality eyepiece on a Pentax scope will give a better image than a shabby eyepiece on a swaro, zeiss or leica. and vice versa. Pentax has been making some of the best 1.25 scope eyepieces in the world for quite some time. They just never made any scopes. Now they have.

The problem is that when you compare scopes you aren't really comparing the scopes, you are comparing eyepieces. All the scope does is bring the image and the light to the eyepiece. They all have ed glass, good coatings,etc. The eyepiece does the work. Having said that- the swaro, zeiss, leica, nikon and pentax smc (not the xf) zooms are all in the same league. It seems that all the reviews you read between all these eyepieces/scopes ends up be rather subjective and depends on the individuals eye. It is strange that most hunters seem to poopoo any scope but the big three and don't even consider fixed power eyepieces if they do buy one of them. That 1800 dollar 65mm swaro with a 30x fixed ep will give a better image with a larger FOV than the zoom at 30x. And, the Pentax 65 with the XW 14 (28x) will give a better image with a much larger FOV (70 degrees) than the swaro zoom at the same power. Zooms are complex and some image quality is lost not matter what zoom it is. But, zooms are convenient and they sell, especially to hunters but not as much to birders, digiscopers and astromomers. Because, the bottom line is that you can get better, brighter image with larger FOV with a quality fixed eyepiece. The swaro zoom seems to have the reputation of having the best image at full power. But, is it worth an extra 1000 bucks over the pentax? Personally I don't think so. It's not twice as good as the Pentax. I got my Pf 65EDA II with one of the best eyepieces in the world for 788 bucks! The Pentax scopes use standard 1.25 inch astronmical eyepieces of which there are hundreds to choose from. I think I may order this zoom for my pentax and see how I like it. The Pentax smc zoom is very large, 19ozs and IMO to big to put on the nice compact PF 65. Who knows, if I does what I want I might sell the xw14, or not. http://www.williamoptics.com/eyepiec...2_features.htm Great specs by a top of the industry eyepiece manufacturer. Comparable to the swaro, zeiss and leica zooms but with even a larger FOV 42-66. That's 66 degres at 7.5mm which would be 52x on my 65mm scope. It would give me 17-52x. 52x might be pushing it with a 65mm scope but I have talked to guys that have resolved great images at 65x on the pentax 65mm scope. Conditions being ideal of course.

Anyway, sorry to go long but personaly I feel the Pentax is the best VALUE in a high quality scope. Especially since you can use astro eyepieces and get just what you want. No need to be locked into a zoom. Plus, I have an extra 1000 bucks!

One other thing. If a guy doesn't mind a larger heavier scope Doug has the Pentax 80 ED's for 850 bucks WITH the awesome Pentax 20-60 smc zoom! That's the sleeper scope deal right there! It will hold it's own with the big three 80mm scopes at one third the cost! I just wanted the more compact lighter model.

Just my .02 and reasoning.

Default Good info.

I picked up the a demo 65ED-A from Doug a couple of months ago. Mine came with the XF 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I say demo but don't think it had ever even been unwrapped. I've only played with mine in the yard but all ready think its worth every penny of the $600 I payed for it. Thanks for the info on the fixed eyepiece, I'm wanting to get a good fixed piece for hunting and you've saved me some research time. Even though I'm planning on using my XF zoom this year, the fixed is hopefully on my list for next year. Are you packing a tripod on your hunt, if so what are you using? The tripod is an item on this years list.

Thanks again for the eyepiece info. You can't go wrong the the 65ED, it compliments my Pentax SP binos perfectly.

Well I have a 60 lb pack and about 4 miles of trail waiting for me tonight. Less than 2 months until sheep season.

Thumbs up The PF65 ED XW14 combo

I just got my scope today! I messed with it a little this evening at my house and all I can say is WOW! I am AMAZED at how much detail I can see with 28 power. Just amazing. I'll give a more detailed review after I spend some time with it identifying known objects at known distances. I will say this, I was upstairs in my house with the scope pointed out the window. Looking through the double pane glass at birch hill 3.3 miles away ( I google earthed the distance) and I could make out the detail of stove pipes and the caps and roof vents on the roof of a house. I could also make out the slats in a wood fence. It was red too! I could not even see the house with my naked eye. I could not see the birch hill radio tower with my naked eye but could see tremendous detail with the scope. I could see the little dark round marks on birch tree bark 3 miles away. All this is while looking THROUGH the window glass! I was in the yard looking at some hand railings on a tower about 5-600 yds away and could CLEARLY see all the fastener bolts holding the handrail together. Some were square headed and some regular bolt heads. They could'nt have been any larger than 1/2 to 5/8 inch. This was all under darkish overcast skies. Not bright sunlight. Everything I read about the XW eyepieces resolving amazing detail appear to be accurate.

For a tripod I actually have a 20 dollar one I bought at walmart. It is solid, goes from 6 inches to about 3.5- 4 ft and weighs 25ozs. It folds up to about 12 or 13 inches.

Way to go with the hiking. I did the same this afternoon with AKCub.

8 WEEKS TO SHEEP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Way to go with the hiking. I did the same this afternoon with AKCub.

8 WEEKS TO SHEEP!!
    Yeah, and boy am I glad we did!

Default Pentax Spotting Scope

Does anybody know what the difference is between the Pentax- PF 65ED A and the newer model Pentax PF 65ED A II. I found a good deal on the older model but was just wondering if I should pay the extra for the newer model. I haven't found any info on the web that tells what the 65ED II has over the 65ED.
    Last edited by Snyd; 07-26-2007 at 10:01. Reason: whoops, hit the wrong button. I did not edit your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Humphrey View Post
    Does anybody know what the difference is between the Pentax- PF 65ED A and the newer model Pentax PF 65ED A II. I found a good deal on the older model but was just wondering if I should pay the extra for the newer model. I haven't found any info on the web that tells what the 65ED II has over the 65ED.
    PENTAX press release-
    "High image performance-
    The new 65mm spotting scopes have been improved over our previous models by modifying all optical systems and improving lens quality and layout. This new optical design enhances the overall performance of the spotting scopes but specifically assures high quality results when attached to a PENTAX digital camera."

Here's a thread that talks about it some. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=74362

Nothing wrong with the first one. I bought the II just becuase I figured "since I'm doing it"... One thing I would suggest though is to buy the scope body only and look at either Pentax fixed eyepieces (XF's or XW's) or other astro zooms if you want a zoom. The XF zoom is the weak link with that scope, for me anyway. Now the other zoom they make is top of the line but a little too big for the 65.

Unless of course you buy the first version bundled with the zoom. Doug at Cameraland has a good price on them. Then, in addition to that get either the XW14 or the XF 12 as your main eyepiece and use the zoom for times when you want a little "mo powa". Doug gives discounts on the eyepieces when you buy the scope.

The Vixen and Teleview zooms are supposed to be great on the 65 and also the Proxima zoom. You can get any of these for around $150. But, the fixed Pentax XW EP's are top of the line AND waterproof and have the PENTAX lifetime warranty. I just ordered the XF 8.5mm to compliment my XW 14mm the other day. I just don't like messing with a zoom. Next week I'll see if I even NEED the extra power. The XW 14 is pretty sweet.

If your in the Fairbanks area we are going to get a few of us together next week I think to compare different optics.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again