Thread: Kodiak Reds best timing & best streams

Default Kodiak Reds best timing & best streams

My son in law wants to fly fish for reds in Kodiak in 2008. What is the generally best timing for fresh, bright reds in freshwater? What are the best streams? What fly tackle and flies are recommended? How is saltwater fishing for halibut, kings and cohoes at the peak time of the year for reds ? Thanks!

Default Saltery River Hand Down

The best time for Reds are the start of July usually the 4th. Pasagshak and Saltery have good returns with Saltery getting the best. Limits for Pasagshak are two a day with Saltery being 5 a day.

Common tackle are a good 8 weight fly rod with sinking tip. Flys are usually green and red, red and white horse hair. The biggest producers are usually 2/0 red hooks with a little dark green or light green krystal flash. Another good producer is the green apple nymph. Once you get to Kodiak stop in to Macks and talk to Jesse, he can set you up with whats working that year.

July is usually a great month for all types of Kodiak fishing. Halibut can be found off shore with good numbers as well as the Kings and Lings. The Silvers are just starting to show and run about 8-9 pounds.

Good Luck

Default Kodiak's smorgasbord...

Shawn is right on. I have hit halibut, lingcod, silvers and kings all in the same day on a single charter.

It simply doesn't get any better than that one, and I've had that platter served up to me more than once...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    The best time for Reds are the start of July usually the 4th. Pasagshak and Saltery have good returns with Saltery getting the best. Limits for Pasagshak are two a day with Saltery being 5 a day.

Common tackle are a good 8 weight fly rod with sinking tip. Flys are usually green and red, red and white horse hair. The biggest producers are usually 2/0 red hooks with a little dark green or light green krystal flash. Another good producer is the green apple nymph. Once you get to Kodiak stop in to Macks and talk to Jesse, he can set you up with whats working that year.

July is usually a great month for all types of Kodiak fishing. Halibut can be found off shore with good numbers as well as the Kings and Lings. The Silvers are just starting to show and run about 8-9 pounds.

Good Luck
    Shawn: What do you charge for a one day Saltery River ATV excursion?

Default Please PM me

Can you please PM me or visit my site. I don't like to try and sell things via the forum.

Don't forget the Buskin! Even though this river is close to town you can get some great fishing. The red run may only a quarter of the fish that Saltery does you can walk to it from the airport. The last three years the run has been so strong that the limit has been raised to five fish per day in the latter part of June.