Thread: Fishing for halibut in Valdez

Default Fishing for halibut in Valdez

Just got my first boat to fish in Valdez. Would like to fish for halibut but new to this type of fishing. Im sure there are very few halibut in close this time of year. Been out to Jacks bay and sawmill bay and nothing so far. I was wondering if anyone thinks that a boat like mine, a 22 ft c dory, would be safe enough to go out to knowls bay or 2 moon bay for halibut. Dont want to die but would sure like to catch some halibut. Am currently at Eagles rest for the summer. live in Tok.
    Thanks
    Jim

Yes as long as you keep an eye on the weather. I took my 22' Aurora out to the gulf all the time. Not afraid to run out there in my SeaSport either. You should be able to fish those waters easily. Heading to the gulf, just watch the weather on Orca Bay. Have always made it. But I carry a sleeping bag and 6 days of food too. You just never know

Best advice: If you don't think you can do it, or doubt your ability, don't do it. Wait for a better day.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just what I need to hear. Probably to take some extra gas too.
    jim

Just what Daveinthebush said. I take my 20ft searunner out all the time. I have gone out past Goose Island without any issues. Just watch the weather and make sure to have supplies handy if you have to wait it out in a bay. I have caught a few 40lbers by Bligh and out Past Goose.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Like the others have said, just watch the weather and you will be find. I used to fish my old riverrunner out by Goose Island and we never had a problem.

There are fish close to Valdez. My biggest fish, 149 pounds came from inside Port Valdez near Un-named cove. You have to have more patience, good bait, more patience, location (structure)and time. But they are there. I have seen one 160 pounder caught in the Narrows in a 16ft skiff in September in a 2-3 foot chop. A little farther out near Un-named Bay a friend caught a 200 pounder in 12 foot Zodiac. The concept that an area is fished out that has depths of 700+ feet is not true. I rarely fish in under 200 feet of water. Most people don't. You probably should not try to find a 60" moose in Wal-Mart's parking lot either.

Dave,

Where is un-named cove?? I'm going to Valdez this weekend to target halibut and rock fish. I have never been there so it should be fun...

Unnamed Cove is exactly that. It was meant as a pun. I don't tell where I hunt or fish.

Does anyone have any GPS spots to try and hit for halibut that they would be willing to share? Inside Bligh reef?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Unnamed Cove is exactly that. It was meant as a pun. I don't tell where I hunt or fish.
    Get yourself some charts or a chart plotter. You can see all the un named bays or coves on the charts. There are only so many. Just have to go fish them, there is really no secret where they are. Fish may or may not be there. Out by Goose island It is probably where all the boats are.
    Just like silvers, wherever the boats are circling is probably where the fish are.

doing any good jkswor ? heading down with cdory thursday can't wait

caught this 150 lb guy just outside the narrows three years ago. They are there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

would be happy with some 15 lb ones but don't have it figured out yet. being an inlander

Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    doing any good jkswor ? heading down with cdory thursday can't wait
    Went out to Goose island Sunday AM. Spent a lot of time looking for the shelf where I was told halibut would be.
    Caught one small halibut , threw it back, and 2 rock fish and a huge stingray. However, wind came up out by knowles bay and could not stay, so no not doing so good as of yet. It is about 40 miles one way. Will try again when weather says 5 kts or less for several days.

how far past the narrows did you go?

How did you do last summer? I have an 18' skiff and ive fishe dmy butt of in Valdez, I caught a ton of shrimp but no halibut yet. Do you have any pointers to share?