Thread: Lost my Pots in PWS

Default Lost my Pots in PWS

So, after shrimping in PWS for several years, I lost mine this weekend. I set them Friday morning in front of Squirrel cove near Decision Point like I usually do when making a long run out fishing. Well we stayed out a day longer than expected and they are gone. I dropped in 450 feet of water, have 600 feet of lead line and 200 feet of poly where all 5 of my pots are connected. I use a pretty big bouy so I seriously doubt they floated off.
    If anyone sees my bouy floating around, I'd appreciate a phone call. My number and all required info is on the bouy with my boat name of Knot Too Shabby. I can replace the pots if needed, but the worst part is losing my buddies brownie skull we had tied to the bottom. Thanks for keeping an eye out for us....

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That sucks on so many levels, sorry to hear it. I do want to give you props though for not accusing and blasting people with out knowing what happened. Good on you. I wont be out till next weekend but will keep my eyes open.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Aw that is really rotten. I have never heard of putting skulls down but I gess it is so crabs can deflesh them?

Quote Originally Posted by psychicrhino View Post
    Aw that is really rotten. I have never heard of putting skulls down but I gess it is so crabs can deflesh them?
    Works better then sticking them in the ground for the ants to clean them. The sand fleas clean them more then the shrimp do i'm sure.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Bums me out to hear that news...let's hope someone finds them bobbing around in the sound..it could happen! I often put all 5 on a string in what I consider to be fairly safe places, but I always get that "oddball sensation" when the last one goes over the rail...

Rob,
    Sorry to hear it.....really sucks. Losing the skull in the pot adds to the pain.

BK

Yeah the sand fleas clean them up pretty good. Yeah not too sure what happened, it was a huge tide swing this weekend so maybe they did get pulled away. I might take a trip out during the week when there are less bouys around and see if I can find them. Might even make up a drag of some sort and see if I can find them on the bottom if the bouy got cut too.
    MMSI# 338232859

Was it a wooden buoy?
    (couldn't resist)

Hopefully they turn up Rob. What color is the buoy?

Rob sorry to hear that, any chance a tug & tow could have got them ?? The tow wire goes real deep and those guys just run a straight course or maybe a cruise ship got them. If one of those guys got them its no telling how far they got towed before the rope parted off. If ya need any help rigging up a grapple let me know.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

It's a big faded red bouy with a big black smear on the top where I tried to cover up some old markings. I sure wish I would have tied on my tag line with little floaters to make it easier to see. But didn't this time since I was the only one in that spot.

Steve, I might just do that. If I can't find anything on the bottom, I'll be out for another set of your pots.
    MMSI# 338232859

Sorry to hear of lost pots. Had a two pot string set on south side of Blackstone last Saturday. Went out Sunday to pull and they weren't there. Had set in 400' with 600 feet of line. Thought a tour boat may have run over the line right after setting, and hoping to at least find the buoy, checked the North side of the bay and found the string in over 800' of water. Very doubtful they drifted there all on their own!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I lost mine in Blackstone this weekend too. One set was there and we had a 5 gallon bucket full of shrimp with only the 3 pots, so I bet the other set was pretty full too.
    Sounds like something fishy. I asked a guy who was pulling his pots in the area and he said they found some guy shooting the bouy's last year. Who knows but not cool. Last hope is someone finds them and calls.
    Boz

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    , but the worst part is losing my buddies brownie skull we had tied to the bottom. Thanks for keeping an eye out for us....

Rob

That really is a bummer...Hopefully it was a matter of equipment failure, cause it is no fun to think of people messing with other folk's possessions.....We found a buoy in upper knight passage this spring - from all the way over at Cordova..The ring had broken through and the line slipped out. We called the person who it belonged to - it turns out it was from a crab pot.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!