Thread: PWS Question

Default PWS Question

I'm not having much luck consistently finding rockfish in PWS. When prospecting around a small to medium sized island or structure, is it generally better to be on the East (Gulf) side, or the West? Does it matter much? Does the tide or weather affect where the fish will congregate? I've mostly targeted spots around Port Wells, Cochrane Bay, Culross Island, and Perry Island, but with spotty results. Do I have to head out farther, maybe to Naked, Knight, or Montague?

I've done quite well around points of islands outside of Resurrection Bay, but PWS has me stumped!!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

I've found the further out in the Sound I head, the better my results. I typically do quite well around the N end of Knight and associated islands. I've fished all around the East and West sides, Northern tips and passages between the islands. Tides and current will affect the fishing, but generally when I drift over the pinnacles and ridges I do fairly well. If you're targeting yellow eye, 200-300 feet is a good depth and the larger fish seem to hold deeper.

Just look on your charts for several areas that are fairly steep and rocky and if you're not catching fish within 15-20 min, try another spot.

I've fished closer in and do catch some fish but the fish tend to be smaller and the fishing is slower.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I too have a question .... Are the REDS stacking up in MAIN BAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've found the further out in the Sound I head, the better my results. I typically do quite well around the N end of Knight and associated islands. I've fished all around the East and West sides, Northern tips and passages between the islands. Tides and current will affect the fishing, but generally when I drift over the pinnacles and ridges I do fairly well. If you're targeting yellow eye, 200-300 feet is a good depth and the larger fish seem to hold deeper.

Just look on your charts for several areas that are fairly steep and rocky and if you're not catching fish within 15-20 min, try another spot.

I've fished closer in and do catch some fish but the fish tend to be smaller and the fishing is slower.
    Paul H, this is great! Thanks so much for the info.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's