Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Pistol Permits

Default Alaska Pistol Permits

Once you have gained your residence in Alaska is it diffilcult to obtain a pistol permit?

Permit? Are you talking concealed carry, or ownership?

A permit is not required for either.

However, if you want a concealed carry permit for use in other stares, you just sign up for a class, get fingerprinted, and submit paperwork to the Troopers.. Takes a couple weeks.

Again, no permit is required to own a handgun, and, within the state, any person who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed without a permit.

(Except of course in the standard no-carry places like schools, federal buildings, etc)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ahh, I wasn't sure if it was like New York State. So, you don't need to have the permit. Good enough.

Just wondering if I have to have a permit to purchase a handgun once I have my residence or is it that I can go to a gun shop in Alaska and purchase a handgun like a long gun. Seems I would feel more safe in the bush with back-up.

There is no permit required to buy any gun in AK... as long as you are a resident of Alaska you can walk and purchase one. The only paperwork is the federal paperwork that you would have to do anywhere. Your not in a gun hating state any longer...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Federal paper work (meaning the background check), like when you buy a rifle?

Yes, the same form you do when buying a long gun. Then the dealer makes a phone call and assuming everything is good you get to buy the gun.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

This has no bearing whatsoever on hunting.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

That is what it is all about.

I apologize, but I just had to know if I could cover my b*** in the Alaskan woods. I do understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Yes, the same form you do when buying a long gun. Then the dealer makes a phone call and assuming everything is good you get to buy the gun.
    Thanks JR2

I'm quite sure an Ak driver's license is all that's necessary not a year of residency to clarify a resident in this instance

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    Ahh, I wasn't sure if it was like New York State. So, you don't need to have the permit. Good enough.
    Completely different than NY. I had a concealed carry permit in NY, long process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is nice about getting a CCW permit here in Alaska, is that you can request to be NICS exempt, which is a BIG plus when you want to purchase any firearm.

Contrary to all the latest reality shows (supposedly) about Alaska, there is not a dangerous beast behind every tree. However, a can of bear spray may be a better bet if you are scared of what may lurk in the woods.

Ahh, I wasn't sure if it was like New York State.
    Dear God no,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    I'm quite sure an Ak driver's license is all that's necessary not a year of residency to clarify a resident in this instance
    Correct, you must currently be a resident to buy a handgun and must have been a resident for the last year to hunt as a resident.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm pretty sure theres a big "But", and thats that you DO NOT have to be a resident to carry a pistol concealed, only legally allowed to own one, even if your from another state 4 hours ago. Brig yers with you , the Dali Lama could.....I figure, and you dont have to be a resident to by long arms, either, so if you need a rifle, you can buy one here , when you land, I do believe,.

Oh ya, in this state the Cheif of Law enforcement MUST sign off if you legally qualify for NFA controlled silencers, machine guns and short barreled rifles, no bottle neck there, either, just cant hunt with a machine gun, but short barres and silencers are legal, for sure
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What is nice about getting a CCW permit here in Alaska, is that you can request to be NICS exempt, which is a BIG plus when you want to purchase any firearm.
    NICS exempt?

NICS exempt?

NICS is short for the FBIís <National Instant Criminal Background Check System> that does the Brady Law background checks in about 30 states. You can get a concealed carry permit that does a slightly deeper background including taking finger prints. If you get this you donít need a new background done every time you buy a gun, you are exempt from the point of sale background.

You are moving from one of the most oppressed states to one of the least oppressed and most free states, Alaska isnít at all a nanny state, you are pretty much on your own to thrive or fail here and most thrive . . . you will have culture shock at first but please donít try to change Alaska to be more like New York!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast