Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does a Hamilton 773 jet perform?

Default How does a Hamilton 773 jet perform?

I'm looking at getting back into jet boating. I used to have a T-jet with a Hamilton 212 and I really liked the way it performed. Looking on Craigslist and Alaskaslist I see a few boats with 3 stage Hamilton 773's. How does that model jet run compared to a 212? Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I'm looking at getting back into jet boating. I used to have a T-jet with a Hamilton 212 and I really liked the way it performed. Looking on Craigslist and Alaskaslist I see a few boats with 3 stage Hamilton 773's. How does that model jet run compared to a 212? Is there a noticeable difference between the two?
    Huge difference. The 212 will get bigger loads on step, burn les fuel, have better steering and reverse. With that said, the 773 will work just fine depending on what your doing with it and as long as you don't expect 212 performance.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks! I will be hauling fairly large loads at times (lumber and other building supplies) up the Yentna so that is good to know. I'd prefer to stay with a 212 but most of the boats with them also come with a premium price. Not sure if I'm willing to pay that much.

You get what you pay for. Paying for what you want / need the first time is cheaper than doing it over when you are not happy with the 773. I found out the hard way.

Thanks! I will be hauling fairly large loads at times (lumber and other building supplies) up the Yentna so that is good to know. I'd prefer to stay with a 212 but most of the boats with them also come with a premium price. Not sure if I'm willing to pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    You get what you pay for. Paying for what you want / need the first time is cheaper than doing it over when you are not happy with the 773. I found out the hard way.

Good point and I keep telling myself that exact thing which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. There is one boat out there on Craigslist that I really, really like...T-Jet, 212, 8.1L, hardtop. Almost a perfect boat in my eyes except for one thing....left hand stick steering. If it had a steering wheel I'd probably have bought it by now. Just not a fan of stick steering. I know a lot of guys love it but I'm just not a fan of it. I want a boat that friends or my daughters can drive. Stick steering has too steep a learning curve for those occasional times you need somebody else to do the driving.

That boat is a nice one. I wouldn't let the stick steering deter ya. It's easier for your daughter too learn then someone with a lot of steering wheel time. Running the big Su and Yetna doesnt allow you to get the full benefit out of it but everyone who switches seem to love them.

Default How does a Hamilton 773 jet perform?

Stick steering in heavy equipment is so much nicer. I wish I could get it in my car.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Disconnect the stick steering and install a helm and cable if you really like the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Disconnect the stick steering and install a helm and cable if you really like the boat.
    Thats A good idea. It isn't that much to do. Less then $500 and pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Thats A good idea. It isn't that much to do. Less then $500 and pretty easy.
    I don't really want to buy a boat for that much money only to have to retrofit it to meet my needs. It's a moot point anyway, pretty sure it sold as I don't see it listed on Craigslist any more.

I don't really want to buy a boat for that much money only to have to retrofit it to meet my needs. It's a moot point anyway, pretty sure it sold as I don't see it listed on Craigslist any more.
    I wish you luck finding and buying a used boat that will suit your needs perfectly and without having to do some kind of work to it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I wish you luck finding and buying a used boat that will suit your needs perfectly and without having to do some kind of work to it.
    Why do people have to be such smart asses on this forum? No boat is perfect but I just don't see the point in buying a boat where you have to redo the entire steering assembly. Maybe to you it's no big deal but my time is money and I am not willing to drop close to 40K on a boat that I have to do that work to. I'll wait for something else to come around, there are plenty out there.

Why do people have to be such smart asses on this forum? No boat is perfect but I just don't see the point in buying a boat where you have to redo the entire steering assembly. Maybe to you it's no big deal but my time is money and I am not willing to drop close to 40K on a boat that I have to do that work to. I'll wait for something else to come around, there are plenty out there.
    I am not being a smartass, I am totally sincere. Why do people jump to the conclusion that someone is being a smartass when all they are doing is trying to be helpful while expecting nothing in return, and at the same time, speaking from experience!

Have a nice day!

Mr. Arcticwildman,
    Please see the attached link. This might be more your style.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4525027213.html

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Mr. Arcticwildman,

Tried to rep you Laker Taker, but the system won't let me!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Mr. Arcticwildman,

Sweet! That is my dream boat :-)

BTW...do you run a 22 ft 2005 Alexis Classic, blue with the full hardtop? If so, I'm the one who sold it to you. Wish I had kept that boat but my divorce forced me to sell it.

Sweet! That is my dream boat :-)

BTW...do you run a 22 ft 2005 Alexis Classic, blue with the full hardtop? If so, I'm the one who sold it to you. Wish I had kept that boat but my divorce forced me to sell it.
    That was my boat, bummer about the divorce. I put 400 hours on it and sold it last November. We loved that boat but I wanted to get out while the gettin was still good. Now we run a 21' Duckworth Advantage with a 5.7 and a 212. Don't get an inboard with anything but a 212, expecially after you've already owned one, you'll be disappointed.

How do you like the Duck? There are a few I've been looking at but they all come with 351's. Never have owned a Ford marine engine so I'm a little leary of going with one. I really want a big block this time around so I can make a run up to the koyukuk for moose or haul building supplies for my cabin and handle a big load. That Alexis ran good but it wasn't really powered for the kind of load I want to run.

The 22' hard top TJ was definitely underpowered with the small block and a heavy load. The Duckworth is a lot lighter boat and performs well with the Vortec 5.7 and the 212.

I've seen this boat posted on and off for almost a year now. I'd guess maybe the owner would move a little on the price. It should be a high quality boat. It's not a big block but its still looks really nice. http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4476697776.html

I had a 20 foot Almar with a 351 and a 773 jet. Being my first river boat I thought it worked pretty well. I wouldn't be to worried about Ford Marine engines, I'd guess they are just as good as any GM product of the same vintage. I had a Duckworth with a Marine Power 901 jet and I'd never do that again. I've gone to outboard jets at this point which is working pretty well but I can see myself owning another inboard someday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast