Thread: 300 win mag brown bear round?

Default 300 win mag brown bear round?

I am planning on hunting with my brother in law this fall. We plan on hunting brown bear and moose on the Kenai Peninsula. I am looking for a good powerful factory load with a quality bullet for my 300 win mag. Does anyone on here have any recommendations? Reloading is not an option for me at this point. Thanks.

Federal Premium loaded with your choice of Accubonds, Partitions or Barnes TSXs, they all have killed bears and moose for me with my 300 WM
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Factory ammo,
    sorry never touch the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Federal Premium loaded with your choice of Accubonds, Partitions or Barnes TSXs, they all have killed bears and moose for me with my 300 WM
    Bingo!...also the Trophy Bonded Tip or Trophy Copper (which is Federal's new name for the TSX).

In today's ammo market- it'll likely be the first suitable box you find.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The first box of federal premiums with TSX has still shot better than any hand loads I've produced in two rifles. Pick a big one for the bears and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I currently use federal 180gr power shok speer hot cor sp in my 300 min mag browning BLR. I live in Idaho and have taken several mule deer, an elk, and a moose. The moose and elk were a little over 400 yards and the deer have been between 75 and 350 yards. It took 3 shots with for the moose. All three were in the "boiler room". I recovered two rounds out of my moose this year and one out of my deer. A friend weighed all the bullets and found that only 95 grains were left from 180 grain bullets. Obviously for bear and Alaska moose I want to use bullets that retain their weight better than what I have been using. I haven't used the federals with better bullet selections before. I will have to check them out. The other round I was looking at was Hornady's 180gr Super Performance SST. The energy at the muzzle and along every 100 yards seems to be 200-400 ft lbs higher than any of the federal loads. Does anyone have any experience with Hornady?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnejs View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I currently use federal 180gr power shok speer hot cor sp in my 300 min mag browning BLR.... I recovered two rounds out of my moose this year and one out of my deer. A friend weighed all the bullets and found that only 95 grains were left from 180 grain bullets...... The other round I was looking at was Hornady's 180gr Super Performance SST. The energy at the muzzle and along every 100 yards seems to be 200-400 ft lbs higher than any of the federal loads. Does anyone have any experience with Hornady?
    I have found the Hornady bullets to be too soft for high speed impacts in general, but I switched to Nosler years ago. I wouldn't get wrapped around ft/lbs either since it's only a rough approximation of wounding potential. Bullet construction is far more important.

I'd love to tell you I weighed an Accubond with 95% weight retention...but I can't- they've always shot clear through only leaving a big bloody, gaping exit wound. TSX or TBBC would be the same I'd imagine. A friend did recover a TBBC from a moose...174gr after penetrating something like 6' of moose, found under the hide in the rear quarter. I was impressed.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would NOT use SSTs up here, I like most hornady bullets, but not that one...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I would NOT use SSTs up here, I like most hornady bullets, but not that one...

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on going by Sportsmans today and seeing what they have for Federal Premium loads. Thanks again to everyone who gave me some feedback.

I would look for a Barnes X, Swift, or Nosler Partition that is at least 180 grains, preferably 200 grains. Most of the factory .30 caliber magnum loads are all about speed, so they are usually 180 grains. That does not bring out the potential of a big .30 caliber case in my opinion. I have used the Barnes X since 1985 with good results. They stay together and dig deep.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I would look for a Barnes X, Swift, or Nosler Partition that is at least 180 grains, preferably 200 grains.
    Been only using hand loaded 200 grain NP out of my 8mag for all AK. game for years and years.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A few of the Accubonds I have recovered from bears over the years... Don't over think it, get a quality bullet that your rifle shoots well.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've killed brown bears and moose with my 300 win mag using 180grn swift scirroccos, I love those bullets out of that gun, very accurate and very deadly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I love the barnes x and I found barnes vorTX at sportmens last year. I spined a moose and the bullet had excellent retention although I haven't weighed an unshot one to compare percentage.

I use the Remington factory load with 200 gr Swift A-Frames in my .300WM. 2 dead bears so far, no issues.

"I use the Remington factory load with 200 gr Swift A-Frames in my .300WM. 2 dead bears so far, no issues."
    If I could find them around here I would get them. I went with Barnes 180gr