Thread: Any Bear Viewing this time of the year

Default Any Bear Viewing this time of the year

On Floats and not comfortable landing in the open water like the pros do down in Hallo. Can't get any definition on the Brooks but I may be too early. Friends up for the week and looking for something fun.

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might find more information by doing a google search on Alaska bear viewing. Naknek Lake is the usual floatplane beach parking area for viewing the bears at Brooks Falls. But June and August are no good there for bear viewing. July and September are best.

Most bear viewing destinations rely on the return of salmon to spawing streams and some lakes. Bears congregate seasonally where the fishing times are predictable year after year.

Sometimes the wind at Naknek Lake makes the water too rough to land. So Brooks Lake, upstream about five miles, becomes the best place to land. But even then when it's blowing too hard on Nakenek Lake, Brooks Lake has pretty flat water, but lots of gusts.

So, for some kind of an optimum bear viewing destination this time of year...I don't know. A little more research could provide an answer.

It may be as easy as a quick trip to Big River Lakes. Probably a little early but it's close.

Chinitna Bay has a lot of bears in it right now

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Chinitna Bay has a lot of bears in it right now

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yep, Chinitna Bay seems to always have a lot of bears . . . especially up West Glacier Creek at the head of the bay.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Yep, Chinitna Bay seems to always have a lot of bears . . . especially up West Glacier Creek at the head of the bay.
    Confirmed.. we were out there earlier this week. Lots of bears - 15-20 or so around the bear camp area. Mom and 3 cubs hanging near there is pretty cute..

Be sure to check kodiak tide table and land in the low tide zone where it's more firm. I found that about 3 hours plus/minus of low tide worked well.. though if you land 3 hours after low tide, you won't have much time for viewing before the tide creeps back up.

Seldovia tides plus ten minutes is pretty accurate for Chinitna. Chinitna is usually really good bear viewing with spring cubs almost every year. I don't know how appropriate it would be on floats though. You can land in Clear Water Creek but the mud is really really slippery.

Just talked to the rangers at Brooks the bears are in the falls now.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.