Thread: Shotgun cove anchorage?

Default Shotgun cove anchorage?

Are there any good places in Shotgun Cove to anchor overnight? I know there are some buoys there, but I'm staying away from them.

Up near the head of the cove. We've spent a few nights in there on the hook, either late Friday when it was getting too dark to continue further out after launching, or Sunday nights when it was windy and I didn't want to deal with handling our boat in a crowded harbor with a stiff breeze blowing everybody around. One night, the wind was so bad I almost go seasick at anchor in Shotgun. We were wipping around on the line pretty good at times but the anchor held fine.

In the North East corner as you pass the big bouy, by the wreck is a great spot, especially when there is a north east wind. We spent 2 nights there a few weeks ago when there was a strong noreasterly front the whole weekend. Water like glass and a good bottom to hold to. You do get some occasional rocking from passers by, but not much.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I've anchored in the head of the cove several times. Lots of kelp so make sure your anchor is set. It seems like it takes me a couple of times to get the anchor to bite.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.