Thread: Russian River set up?

Default Russian River set up?

Hey, my daughter is running down to the Russian this weekend with friends. She wants to try fishing. What is the legal set up for there? I have never fished there in my life, won't deal with the crowds. I seem to remember something about weights having to be a certain distance from your hook? Is there weight size limits? Thanks for the help!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

See page 50. It will answer all your questions and probably provoke some more.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Hey, my daughter is running down to the Russian this weekend with friends. She wants to try fishing. What is the legal set up for there? I have never fished there in my life, won't deal with the crowds. I seem to remember something about weights having to be a certain distance from your hook? Is there weight size limits? Thanks for the help!
    Fly fishing only area. But all that really means 3/8" gap on hooks and weight has to be 18 inches above the fly. Obviously no bait or scents. You don't need to use fly fishing gear. The simplest set up is a handful of russian river flies and 3/8 oz to 1 oz twist rubber core sinkers. Don't need swivels or any other hardware. Fancier set up would be a three way swivel to pencil lead to hook with 24 to 48 inches of leader depending on water conditions. Am I missing anything?

Had not fished there in over 30 years! Went yesterday, my 9 yr old son limits in an hour...on a 6wt flyrod no less. I don't have a single fish on shore yet! But over three hours, I manage a limit for me and my proxy. MY GF on a shortened day (2 hours) manages 2. I was a couple of hundred yards downstream of the ferry. Seemed a good pod of fish would move through every 30 minutes or so. So not lights out fishing but it was hard to complain! Pretty much everyone had at least a fish or two on the stringer.

Half the days haul!
    photo+%u0025252842%u00252529.jpg

Man I hate looking at the fishing regs anymore. Almost like they set you up to fail. Anyway, looks to me that all she needs to worry about is the hook shank distance. I didn't see anything about wieghts but I swear there was a reg years ago about keeping your weight a certain distance from the hook?? Thanks Danner!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Check the bottom of page 51.

Hey thanks for the info and report Kardinal! Hope she has fun!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Man I hate looking at the fishing regs anymore. Almost like they set you up to fail. Anyway, looks to me that all she needs to worry about is the hook shank distance. I didn't see anything about wieghts but I swear there was a reg years ago about keeping your weight a certain distance from the hook?? Thanks Danner!
    There is a reference to the weight location on page 51 in the red box for the "Gear in Fly-Fishing Only Waters". That restriction depends on what area you/she is intending to fish in.

It is right there on the page dealing with with Russian River: weight can be no closer than 18 inches to the hook. DO use a weight and bring polarized sunglasses so you can see the fish. Had some folks practically standing on fish yesterday. They were dropping un-weighted flies in the current, with predictable results.

We were the guys fishing directly upstream from you. I was the one who was fighting the fish that spit the hook and sent the weight into my buddies nuts. It was great watching your kid catch all those fish by himself. He's well on his way to becoming a great fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Fly fishing only area. But all that really means 3/8" gap on hooks and weight has to be 18 inches above the fly. Obviously no bait or scents. You don't need to use fly fishing gear. The simplest set up is a handful of russian river flies and 3/8 oz to 1 oz twist rubber core sinkers. Don't need swivels or any other hardware. Fancier set up would be a three way swivel to pencil lead to hook with 24 to 48 inches of leader depending on water conditions. Am I missing anything?

Had not fished there in over 30 years! Went yesterday, my 9 yr old son limits in an hour...on a 6wt flyrod no less. I don't have a single fish on shore yet! But over three hours, I manage a limit for me and my proxy. MY GF on a shortened day (2 hours) manages 2. I was a couple of hundred yards downstream of the ferry. Seemed a good pod of fish would move through every 30 minutes or so. So not lights out fishing but it was hard to complain! Pretty much everyone had at least a fish or two on the stringer.

Half the days haul!
    photo+%u0025252842%u00252529.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    We were the guys fishing directly upstream from you. I was the one who was fighting the fish that spit the hook and sent the weight into my buddies nuts. It was great watching your kid catch all those fish by himself. He's well on his way to becoming a great fisherman.
    Hey hey! That was pretty funny. My GF who took off earlier got a hook in the shoulder past the barb. She had someone yank it out. Ouch. My kid was doing better until I snapped my/his six weight. It's really too light for reds but easier for him to handle. He could hook up a lot easier himself with the lighter outfit. By the time we moved up, he was already done and I hadn't even landed one of the six I needed to fill my proxy. Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Hey hey! That was pretty funny. My GF who took off earlier got a hook in the shoulder past the barb. She had someone yank it out. Ouch. My kid was doing better until I snapped my/his six weight. It's really too light for reds but easier for him to handle. He could hook up a lot easier himself with the lighter outfit. By the time we moved up, he was already done and I hadn't even landed one of the six I needed to fill my proxy. Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
    Hooks past the barb are best delt with using a piece of string/fishing line - not a pair of pliers. Wrap the line around the hook at the point of penetration. Pinch the eye of the hook to the skin. yank line straight back. The hook will pop out with hardly an OUCH. Google "fish hook removal"; there's a pretty good video demo on the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Hooks past the barb are best delt with using a piece of string/fishing line - not a pair of pliers. Wrap the line around the hook at the point of penetration. Pinch the eye of the hook to the skin. yank line straight back. The hook will pop out with hardly an OUCH. Google "fish hook removal"; there's a pretty good video demo on the technique.
    Fifty years ago, newly married and my wife's uncle invites me to go flyfishing for sea run trout.

Up to the top of my waders, tide going out, wind blowing and I'm changing flies. A #4 saltwater fly. Well, while cinching the knot, my cold fingers lose their grip and I bury this fly in my thumb.

Actually no pain was felt. I managed to reel up my line and waddle my way to shore.

Uncle Ray says "what's going on " I got a fly past the barb in my thumb, I need to go to the hospital. Well, he reels up and comes over and says "I JUST READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT HOW TO REMOVE IT EASILY " He wrapped a line told me to turn my head and gave it a yank. whew, I say, glad that's over as my knees start to recover. No, I need to yank harder he says. Well being young and somewhat na´ve I say do it right as I can only stand once more. Another big yank, I guess we need to go to the ER he says. They numbed it, passed it thru and cut it off.

The real sad part of that day was neither one of us caught a fish.