Thread: 50hp jet

Default 50hp jet

So I just bought my first "real" boat, a 1860 G3 with a 50 yamaha 4stroke with a prop. I know this is a bit heavier boat but I'd like to put a jet on it at some point. Good idea or will it be a dog and under powered?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

My uncle has an 18' smoker craft Kodiak with a console with a 50hp effinrude and an electric jack plate. It is a dog with the jet. It runs shallower than the prop will though.

It'll feel like a 35hp prop.

sent from my igloo

Not sure to validity of it, but I heard a rumor that the 50 horse 4-stroke could be hopped up to similar HP as the 65 Yami. Again, not sure about it, but it might be worth an inquiry if you're looking to swap over to a jet.
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

I know the 50hp mercury and the 60 are the same all but the computer. And for about a grand you can convert it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I.dont think you will be happy!....what is the weight
    Of the boat with engine?

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

it will be okay if he has the light weight tiller model, runs only two people. other wise he might have big trouble getting on step. on step he will see about 22 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by boondockinak View Post
    Not sure to validity of it, but I heard a rumor that the 50 horse 4-stroke could be hopped up to similar HP as the 65 Yami. Again, not sure about it, but it might be worth an inquiry if you're looking to swap over to a jet.
    I have heard mention of this before as well. Might have actually been on this forum. I'd certainly be interested in learning more and what all it entails. Any info anyone??
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I've got the same G3 w/a 50hp yami. When i got it the engine had been detuned for the 35hp kenai restriction, it went ok with 2 guys in it, the previous owner had given me the original 50hp brain box that came with the motor so i asked at Deweys what it took to change the motor back to a 50. Well they told me it was a "big job" very involved and expensive so i said never mind and went home. That winter i did some research and it turned out all i had to do was swap brain boxes, plug & play and readjust the linkage a bit, total time maybe 1 hour and i didn't know what i was doing !! so so much for the "big job". Next year i bought a jet pump from Gary at Greatland Welding(great price) for the boat and installed that myself also in about 2 hours & boat runs great with 2 guys and some fishing gear in it but not as fast as the 50hp rating with the prop. I've heard there is a restricter in the carb that if removed will give you 60hp and i'd bet it is a easy mod to do, might have seen it on youtube or just googled it. Boat would be a lot faster if it didn't have all the extra trim and seats in it.
    20140526_141521[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692