Thread: Danielson four door crab pots

Default Danielson four door crab pots

Anyone used these? They look pretty well made and I'm intrigued by the "glow" model. I wonder if crabs would be attracted by the glow or if it is just a gimmick. Thinking about buying one and would really like to hear what others think. Fisheries Supply in Seattle carries them: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/danie...crab-trap-glow

Dunno about that one, but I can offer this in general:

If you're in stronger currents and there's a door or fingers on the up-current side of the pot, the current can blow them open and all your crabs will exit once the bait is gone. Watched them do it. Best is to tie shut the up-current doors or fingers. Crabs are going to come at it following a scent trail (from downcurrent) in any case, so you won't be missing much action except in slack water periods.

I don't know about the glow version, but the Danielson box trap is the standard for day fishing for Dungeness down here (San Francisco). They fish faster than commercial style pots, a 4 to 8 hour soak is usually ideal. If there are lots of crabs around they can load up in an hour. They do "leak" more crab than commercial style pots, so you will see your catch rate fall after leaving them out for several days . You will want to add some weight to them to keep them from walking unless you are crabbing in very protected water. Lots of guys use foot long chunks of re-bar zip tied to the trap. Make sure the traps you buy have the right size of escape ring in them.

Big_E

Can't find anywhere at the FS site or Danielson site that sezz they have the right size escape rings for Alaska. I'd be wary about spending $ until you got a definitive answer. Cheaper in the long run.

I had to add larger rings to mine, but that was 10 years ago. I just cut the wire out then wire tied in the larger rings.

I assume you are targeting Dungeness?
    Never tried them but looking at this brands in the store they look like they are cheaply made.
    If you want someting painted glow in the dark that isn't hard to do. Either with powder paint or vinyl then clearcoated.
    I even have glow paint in a rattle can that would be easy enough to add to a crab pot door.
    In reality I honestly think the glow on the pots in question is a gimmick to attract more fishermen than crabs.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    I don't know about the glow version, but the Danielson box trap is the standard for day fishing for Dungeness down here (San Francisco). They fish faster than commercial style pots, a 4 to 8 hour soak is usually ideal. If there are lots of crabs around they can load up in an hour. They do "leak" more crab than commercial style pots, so you will see your catch rate fall after leaving them out for several days . You will want to add some weight to them to keep them from walking unless you are crabbing in very protected water. Lots of guys use foot long chunks of re-bar zip tied to the trap. Make sure the traps you buy have the right size of escape ring in them.

Big_E
    I can attest to this. Here in Southeast, I fish Danielson square pots regularly, and agree that a short soak (4hrs to 24hrs) is ideal, compared to a long soak. These pots catch great, are inexpensive, collapsible (although I never collapse mine) great pot for the price, and are also much lighter compared to the commercial style ones. I recommend them. I don't think the glow makes a difference. Although one thing that does make a difference is blacking out your pots by putting burlap over the meshed sides. The crab prefer the dark-hole habitat that the blacked out pots provide; keep in mind though that there are regulations deciding how you can go about this for both crab and shrimp.

Lot's of good comments - thanks. The traps I'm looking at are octagonal and have a built in bait cage. They aren't the folding type. I currently use stainless steel round pots that work pretty well. I have used them in a string with the cheap folding traps and the catch was about the same.

Well, I was searching via key words and came upon this thread. I have been looking at the Danielson traps for dungeoness crabs for a trip to POW coming up and found the following on Amazon - a "Pacific" model and an "Alaskan" model. I have searched all over but can not find the dimensions on the escapes. Looks like the Pacific model has the escapes on the top - horizontal plane where as the Alaskan has the escapes on the top half of the vertical planes "sides" which would appear to conform to what I read on the regulations on the Ak fish and game site if...if they have an escape that is 4 3/8" I.D. Can not find any info to confirm this though. It is interesting that the "Pacific model is $20 delivered whereas the "Alaska" model is $35 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-Fold...b+trap+pacific

http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-24-I...ab+trap+alaska

Wondering if anyone can confirm that these are the same trap but with the escapes in different planes. If so, why couldn't a fella just buy the pacific model and braze up some rings from brazing rod and tie strap them on to convert them to the AK regs? Just wondering, I like to tinker, hate to spend more than I have to and wanted to buy several for the multi-week trip.

Hopefully some one will be along directly to straighten me out. And yes, I know I could wait until I get to Ketchikan to look for some but I really want to have my camper all packed up and ducks in a row when I leave Texas for Prince Rupert--->Ketchikan--->Hollis - POW.

@Big Jake - sorry, hope I am not hijacking - I thought my questions went along with yours so decided to add them rather than start a new thread.

PsychicRhino

Quote Originally Posted by psychicrhino View Post
    Well, I was searching via key words and came upon this thread. I have been looking at the Danielson traps for dungeoness crabs for a trip to POW coming up and found the following on Amazon - a "Pacific" model and an "Alaskan" model. I have searched all over but can not find the dimensions on the escapes. Looks like the Pacific model has the escapes on the top - horizontal plane where as the Alaskan has the escapes on the top half of the vertical planes "sides" which would appear to conform to what I read on the regulations on the Ak fish and game site if...if they have an escape that is 4 3/8" I.D. Can not find any info to confirm this though. It is interesting that the "Pacific model is $20 delivered whereas the "Alaska" model is $35 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-Fold...b+trap+pacific

http://www.amazon.com/Danielson-24-I...ab+trap+alaska

Wondering if anyone can confirm that these are the same trap but with the escapes in different planes. If so, why couldn't a fella just buy the pacific model and braze up some rings from brazing rod and tie strap them on to convert them to the AK regs? Just wondering, I like to tinker, hate to spend more than I have to and wanted to buy several for the multi-week trip.

Hopefully some one will be along directly to straighten me out. And yes, I know I could wait until I get to Ketchikan to look for some but I really want to have my camper all packed up and ducks in a row when I leave Texas for Prince Rupert--->Ketchikan--->Hollis - POW.

@Big Jake - sorry, hope I am not hijacking - I thought my questions went along with yours so decided to add them rather than start a new thread.

PsychicRhino
    I can confirm that both of those pots are the same; aside from escape ring location. I made the mistake a few years ago of ordering a couple pots with the rings on top/bottom, and the Troopers pulled my gear and gave me a $240 ticket for having the rings on the wrong sides. I went home and cut a couple thin pieces of 4 1/2" OD ( 4 3/8 ID) stainless tube and cut away part of the side mesh and wired them in, and had my pots in the water the next morning. They said "It's a shame we had to pull your pots, they were loaded with crab!" Go figure! The escape rings on the pots are the correct size.

It makes no sense to me why there would be escape rings on the bottom and top anyways. The Danielson pots are $40 each here in Sitka, which is pretty affordable for a good fishing crab pot. Also, don't forget about your biodegradable cotton twine. The easiest thing to do is to cut off hooks on top of one side of the pot, and secure the side with a loop of untreated #30 cotton twine on each side.

@Anythingalaska- thank you for the confirmation on the dimensions and the ability to convert. That sounds like a hard lick on the fine too.

The Danielson's will catch crab for sure. Western Auto has 'em for sale for $20 this week.