Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limiting Long-Liners in Prince William Sound

Sponsor

Default Limiting Long-Liners in Prince William Sound

There are movements afoot in both Whittier and Cordova to begin regulating the activities of commercial Halibut fishermen with-in the confines of Prince William Sound. What do you guys think of that?
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188

And the reason behind this is?

And the historical use of the area is by?

And the economic impact would be?

And the impact to the biomass has been?

And the creators of this "movement" are?

And their interests derive from?

Sorry, a few more details would be nice to see unless this is entirely based on emotion.

If I had to "off the cuff" this one I'd say it's yet another piss and moan from the mosquito fleet. PWS is limited entry for sable-fish, regulated for halibut via IFQ, not a hot bed for Grey Cod, and the rock-fish is undersized as opposed to the offshore reefs and sea-mounts.

Seems there are already ample "limitations" in place there....

How about a movement limiting the number of pleasure boats?

Or a movement that any boats rented must be rented only to Alaska Residents who hold a minimum 6 pack license?

Makes about as much sense. More, actually.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Seems there are already ample "limitations" in place there....

How about a movement limiting the number of pleasure boats?

Or a movement that any boats rented must be rented only to Alaska Residents who hold a minimum 6 pack license?

Makes about as much sense. More, actually.

I seem to agree on the limitations are already in place.

Struck a nerve on the pleasure boaters did it??? Down there stud!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I seem to agree on the limitations are already in place.

Struck a nerve on the pleasure boaters did it??? Down there stud!
    Didn't really strike a nerve, insomuch that the ulterior motives behind this post are apparent, and abhorrent. Those involved want to attack one sectors income and livelihood? Expect a likewise response if that's the case...
    Last edited by AlaskaHippie; 06-06-2007 at 12:49.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Default fair play

one sectors income and livelihood?
    ...one sector's...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I can't believe I just did that. Now, did I stoop or did I rise? Aye, there's the rub.

(It must be a boring day here in the office).
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default If yer gonna play...

..Get it right...

And before the "yer" is pointed out, I am aware of it, and it's common Internet slang...

<grin>

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    ...one sector's...
    Main Entry: 1sec&#183;tor
    Pronunciation: 'sek-t&r, -"tor
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, cutter, from secare to cut -- more at SAW
    1 a : a geometric figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle b (1) : a subdivision of a defensive military position (2) : a portion of a military front or area of operation c : an area or portion resembling a sector <bilingual sector of town -- David Kleinberg> d : a sociological, economic, or political subdivision of society <cooperation between the public and private sectors -- Peter Chapman>

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    I (It must be a boring day here in the office).

Yes it is! I would rather be fishing or hunting!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default educate me further

..Get it right...

And before the "yer" is pointed out, I am aware of it, and it's common Internet slang...

<grin>

Main Entry: 1sec·tor
    Pronunciation: 'sek-t&r, -"tor
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, cutter, from secare to cut -- more at SAW
    1 a : a geometric figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle b (1) : a subdivision of a defensive military position (2) : a portion of a military front or area of operation c : an area or portion resembling a sector <bilingual sector of town -- David Kleinberg> d : a sociological, economic, or political subdivision of society <cooperation between the public and private sectors -- Peter Chapman>
    Ok, sectors in the above quote is plural, "sectors" as you used it previously was possessive, right? Why doesn't the possessive use the apostrophe?

I think it is a great idea. The offlimits area should also extend offshore of the barrier islands.

How about there is a new reg made stating that there will be a per pound charge for every red salmon caught by a sportfishing boat in main bay?? a charge for every hatchery silver caught in the sound? a charge for every king caught around ester and whittier? and lets also throw in a permit fee to fish around the hatcheries? The sportfisherman DON'T PAY A DIME for those fish that are paid for by commercial fishermen to be raised and released. So lets not start a grab for the fisheries. I knew it would come some day "those are OUR halibut in the sound" and how dare those longliners want to catch them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well put potbuilder.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    .....The sportfisherman DON'T PAY A DIME for those fish that are paid for by commercial fishermen to be raised and released.....
    That's fairly accurate.

I knew it would come some day "those are OUR halibut in the sound" and how dare those longliners want to catch them.
    Where are the halibut hatcheries located?

Default Come On

Pot builder are you telling me that out of 7.6 million dollars paid to sportfishing license last year, none of that money went to hatcheries?

I'm not saying they should limit the sound to L/L but lets keep this real. Both sides contribute plenty of dollars for the fisheries.

my boat has pulled enough sport snagged reds from main bay to justify paying a fee.

Default Great Idea

IMHO it is a great idea to limit commercial fishing inside the sound for one simple reason. Sport fisherman generally have small boats and it is impossible to make a 100 mile run to catch fish. Whats wrong with allowing the average family man to take his family out on his 20' yacht to catch fish that they themselves will eat at their table. I dont think i should have to have a 100' fishing vessel to go out and catch a halibut for myself. FOR CHRIST SAKES THERE IS A WHOLE OCEAN OUT THERE FOR COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN TO FISH IN. Why must you insist on taking the fish right out of our mouth and suggest that we have no right to be able to feed our family or have the pleasure of fishing on our private boats?
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Pot builder are you telling me that out of 7.6 million dollars paid to sportfishing license last year, none of that money went to hatcheries?

I'm not saying they should limit the sound to L/L but lets keep this real. Both sides contribute plenty of dollars for the fisheries.
    Not a dime of public money goes to support those hatcheries, they are supported by "cost recovery fish"caught by a hired seiner and thru a tax on all the users, aka commercial gillnetters and seiners in PWS. Sport fisherman contribute NOTHING to the hatcheries but sure know how to show up to get the fish.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Perhaps the issue of salmon fisheries in the sound should be sidelined, as this post concerns bottom fishing.

As to the issue of bottomfishing, and specifically halibut, the commercial industry has had it's catch increased, yet they are also pushing in some parts of the state to reduce the limit on sport caught fish.

I understand with increased fuel costs that the commercial fleet has a much larger incentive to run their skates as close to port as possible, but that is going to cause a huge backlash from the sports fisherman and guide industry if that continues.

Is there anyone on here that sport fished halibut in PWS 30-40 years ago?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Not a dime of public money goes to support those hatcheries, they are supported by "cost recovery fish"caught by a hired seiner and thru a tax on all the users, aka commercial gillnetters and seiners in PWS.
    Think that might have something to do with the salmon fishery crisis years throughout the 1950's due to commercial overfishing?

You know..........right afterwards was when the state hatchery system was created and built. There was virtually no sport fishery then, as well as being no state income (depleted salmon stocks and no oil yet).

Frankly, I would like sport fishery money to build more hatcheries and take that lame argument away from the commercial industry. Sort of like the Pittman-Robertson Act did with wildlife (although that certainly doesn't keep the hunting guide industry in check up here..........).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast