Thread: Caribou Hair slip on shoulder mount ?

Default Caribou Hair slip on shoulder mount ?

I received my caribou back from my taxi yesterday that I took in on September 12, 2012. She said that I did a real good job of turning and fleshing, except that I cut it too short on the bottom of the chest, and I didn't turn the ears far enough, and I cut the inside of the ears too short. She had to patch the bottom of the chest and it is visible.

The weird part is that I tubed out the front legs and came 1/2 way back so I know it was not short. I specifically recall taking the ears out to the very bitter end - tediously, accurately, and painstakenly (for me) until there was literally almost no fold. I may have cut the ears interior short, but I remember being warned prior of that, and was conscious about it while fleshing. She told me she could not get clay up into the ends of the ears and so they are soft.

To rub a little sand in my eye she did not fix the couple inches of one piece of horn that got squirrel damage like she said she would. She also wanted an extra 125$ that was not discussed prior to stain the antlers so they are just stripped of velvet and that's how they look. I told her I would do the staining.

The hair seems to come out very easily - is that typical of caribou? I have not seen this on any other animal.

The next issue, but maybe not so important kick to my chops, was that she forgot her checkbook at home for my refund that she owes me for the down payment that I gave her on the Griz that she forgot to take to the tanners. She's gonna mail it. I could live with not having the 325$ refund I am owed if the mount was really good quality that I would be proud to hang on my wall until my last day - but I am not so sure that it is all of that.

At this point I am most likely just screwed.

If anyone wants me to PM them the name of this business I would be more than happy to send it along.

Geeze, it really doesn't sound like she knows what she is doing.. Clay up into the ear and it is still soft is wrong on many levels...Is she filling the entire ear with clay?

It also sounds like she may have not used your cape. Although it does happen that sometimes a hunter will skin lots of the 'sides' of the critter but not get the brisket quite right...is this an extended shoulder mount?

Lastly short earbutts can be fixed by sewing leather into place of the ear butt. I do it all the time. It is one of the more common skinning mistakes. No, the inner ear never looks quite right, but it is not an impossible fix

loose hair is not uncommon on caribou - but it should not be VERY loose...sometimes the tannery (ar taxidermist) will shave too thin and cause hair to completely fall out - this is called a false cut...if it is 'almost' too thin, it can result in loose hair...lots of other things can result in loose hair as well...near slippage, hide wet up too long before mounting and drying, poor tanning/pickling process...
    I hope you are able to get your money back...what a drag for you.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

It is NOT an extended shoulder mount. It is shorter than I thought it would be. It is clearly not my wife's cape. I am pretty disappointed at this point. It really isn't about the money for me - this was my wife's first big game animal.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I was in your position, I would be seeking/demanding a 100% refund.

Scenario: If you took your car in for maintenance, and you when you got it back you find they didn't fix the problem properly, and caused body damage in the process, certainly you would raise hell / get the situation resolved to your satisfaction. This is no different. Please DO NOT just accept this lady's shoddy work...and you **** sure shouldn't pay for it!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    If I was in your position, I would be seeking/demanding a 100% refund.

Scenario: If you took your car in for maintenance, and you when you got it back you find they didn't fix the problem properly, and caused body damage in the process, certainly you would raise hell / get the situation resolved to your satisfaction. This is no different. Please DO NOT just accept this lady's shoddy work...and you **** sure shouldn't pay for it!!!!!!!
    Even more so it's like all of the above but then they also scabbed some parts off of it and touched it up with bondo!

Rule of thumb for turning ears before tanning...as you get to the edge of the cartilage you will see very small holes or 'perforations' in the cartilage of the inside of the ear - when you reach these small perforations you can stop turning - there will be about 1/8" of ear that is not turned..That is ok, because it helps prevent the ear from being blown out during the tumbling process at the tannery....small mammals are especially prone to ear blow outs (where the ear splits along the edge)..The taxidermist is responsible for finishing the turning of the ear during the mounting process...

I think you probably did a fine job of turning the ears and am baffled as to why your taxi said that about the ears and using clay in them...She should have turned them all the way after they were tanned...and she should not be using clay as an ear liner...hopefully she meant bondo (as that is one accepted way of making an ear liner).

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Stuff sometimes happens at tanneries with capes and your original might have become unusable. The taxi should have notified you of the problem and offered options. There is no excuse for getting surprised at the time of pick up. Caribou hair is fragile but there isn't any coming off my shoulder mount after 5 years. I'd love to know who it is. I want to make sure I avoid her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Stuff sometimes happens at tanneries with capes and your original might have become unusable. The taxi should have notified you of the problem and offered options. There is no excuse for getting surprised at the time of pick up. Caribou hair is fragile but there isn't any coming off my shoulder mount after 5 years. I'd love to know who it is. I want to make sure I avoid her.

Well said, Bill,

I would also like to clarify that by 'normal' loose hair I don't meanjust the occasional couple of hairs here or there as you run a brush with the flow of the hair. If you are pulling a brush through and getting lots of hair in the brush, that is a problem.
    Taxidermy IS art!

I home tanned two caribou hides last year, they were NOT well handled prior to my fleshing, salting and tanning. They have a couple small spots where the hair totally slipped, but aside from those spots (2" x 4" or so) the hair has to be pulled very firmly to get it out. I didn't care because it was tanning practice for me. Never the less it sounds like the hide on your mount is definitely suspect, as far as slipping is concerned.

I want to wait until I see if I get my refund for the bear before I say anything bad about anyone.....if it is not too late.

Overall the mount looks good. I am hoping the hair slipping is just because it is not totally dry.

It could have been me cutting the cape short....I cannot find detailed enough pictures to prove anything.

I was pretty ticked off when I posted this thread...kind of wishing I had not now.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I want to wait until I see if I get my refund for the bear before I say anything bad about anyone.....if it is not too late.

Overall the mount looks good. I am hoping the hair slipping is just because it is not totally dry.

It could have been me cutting the cape short....I cannot find detailed enough pictures to prove anything.

I was pretty ticked off when I posted this thread...kind of wishing I had not now.
    While I admire your optimism, if she gave you that (notice I didn't say "your") caribou mount and it wasn't even dry yet, then she gave you a mount that isn't finished. It's during the drying process when the taxi brings out the anatomic details (muscle definition etc) as well as making necessary adjustments (re-tucking eyes, ear position, nose and lip details etc. etc. etc) on the critter. Also, the mount has to be dry before the finishing work (waxing, paint etc) is done...that's taxidermy 101.

It's not about saying anything bad about anyone, but I would be done waiting for anything at all from this person, including my refund. It would surely be time for action if I was in your shoes.