Thread: Still untouched.

Default Still untouched.

So here we are at just about the end of the baiting season and I am still without a sighting. My station has had all of the right ingredients. A couple of fellas just up the road from me had a small Grizz on their bait once and then nothing. I have tried molasses , dog food, doughnuts, cupcakes, anise and a couple of honey burns with 0 success. The only thing eating my bait are **** squirrels. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bait site of 3 years and a few bears taken off of it has yet to get hit this year. Not that worried, the end of season is at the end of the month and a lot can happen between now and then.

Two years ago I didn't get a single hit till the last week of season. Then I got a couple of pictures and verified that it was a couple of blackies so I got the smaller one for a meat bear. Small rub but was better than the other bigger one. Unfortunately I haven't set up at that spot since. Hoping for a better next year.

Patience young grasshopper, they will find it your not out yet, do not over pressure check it once a week to keep your scent down. Our died down a bit but Im confident it will pick back up again they know where its out just aren't coming around to often kinda skiddish when they do come in but no bigge good things come to those who wait.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Do you have a lot of scent? Stink bait? Doing grease burns? Burning marshmallows? I am talking so much smell that you, with a cold, can smell it 1/4 mile away. Sure, the bait is always working, like a trap in the winter, but the more it smells, the further away it can be smelled. Getting a big grease burn going (BE CAREFUL TO NOT START A FIRE) and having that smoke roll for a long ways down wind can only help.
    Best of luck,
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Do you have a lot of scent? Stink bait? Doing grease burns? Burning marshmallows? I am talking so much smell that you, with a cold, can smell it 1/4 mile away. Sure, the bait is always working, like a trap in the winter, but the more it smells, the further away it can be smelled. Getting a big grease burn going (BE CAREFUL TO NOT START A FIRE) and having that smoke roll for a long ways down wind can only help.
    Best of luck,
    ARR
    Great advice for sure. Consider a second site. Increase your odds. Help a friend and set more.

Its amazing that small distances between sites can have dramatic results. There is a reason bears travel the way they do. There is a reason why they linger in certain areas. From nothing to something ... or from something to less but better shot opportunities.

As Vince has said, "try something new".

I decided to change the scent to maple...

Still nothing but another SD card full of squirrels. So last ling my buddy and I decided to give it one last shot on the stand. Nothing but more squirrels so from here I think we are going to switch to a spot and stalk on Chena Hot Springs Rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a small blackie coming in every few days then he just stopped for two weeks, just saw him again a few days ago on the camera, not sure what to do now, very frustrating for sure!

We ran a new stand this year, and up until two weeks ago, we were skunked. I was surprised given the area. We stuck with it, and as of yesterday had over 200 pictures on the camera and 4 different black bears. Next year should be grand!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans