Thread: wild game only diet

Default wild game only diet

I wanted to ask this question on this web site but don't know which forum to put it under. I want to go on a one month trip, late in the season. I want to eat only meat that I shoot. I don't think there will much for plant life late in the year. Any thoughts on that? Anybody do a month on meat only?

That's pretty rough on the body, expect to loose about a pound a day. My bigger concern would be knowing an area well enough to subsist on an all meat diet. Probably a good idea to take some vitamins to supplement your diet.

What's your definition of late in the season? You can often find berries into the late fall early winter.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

People that live off the land eat the fat and "sweet meat" organs like liver and kidneys. If you just eat the muscle meat you are going to have issues. Before you head out read up on the paleo lifestyle that is trending in the health nut and diabetes circles. Start getting your body used to those food systems and then plan ahead. Also look into ketosis. Its a new trend in endurance athletes for better body fueling, that can fit into backcountry travel if planned out well. Also make sure that there is something to eat out there where you are planning on going. People are usually surprised to find that the tiaga is closer to a desert than a jungle when it comes to "food". If your area is further south and has oaks then get used to finding acorns and eating them. Off the ground there could be an issue with mold or germination compounds, so do some research. Does the area your are going have wild onions/leeks?

Before you go, you should be carb free for about 10 days. This isn't life or death, rather just for comfort. No need in having that "pit" in your stomach that comes from not eating carbs for a couple days. Also, the mind can be foggy from days 3-5 of ultra low carb, something that would be convenient to have out of the way before practicing survival.

Good Luck!

Ive been watching a show where these 9 people were dropped of in the talketna wilderness and had to survive. The game isn't as plentiful as one would think. I've only lived in the bush for going on three years now and I've only seen one rabbit. I've seen plenty of spruce chickens and moose. Good luck with your adventure chute i recommend carrying a little food with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Ive been watching a show where these 9 people were dropped of in the talketna wilderness and had to survive. The game isn't as plentiful as one would think. I've only lived in the bush for going on three years now and I've only seen one rabbit. I've seen plenty of spruce chickens and moose. Good luck with your adventure chute i recommend carrying a little food with you.
    There's game and then there's legal game. I've got a cabin west of Talkeetna and I've seen lots of moose, but never one that was legal to shoot. I think a lot of these "I'm going to survive off the land" types don't understand that.

Shhhhhhhhhus, You guys are messing up this golden opportunity.

Come on up and live off the land with the rest of us.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhus, You guys are messing up this golden opportunity.

Come on up and live off the land with the rest of us.
    I don't think he has plans to leave Newfoundland. He has lots of opportunity for adventure right there in his back yard.

Handy Newfoundland survival guide.

I agree, if I could shoot what ever I see when I am out I would have lots of game in my freezer. I am fully aware of this issue, I expect it to be tough and I have a very reasonable plan to back out if it proves to be impossible. I am also very familiar with the area I am going to be staying. If I don't make it then fine. I like stid2677's signature line. "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can." I can go and try, I can back out, no shame in that and if I can't do it then at the very least I was out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker View Post
    I agree, if I could shoot what ever I see when I am out I would have lots of game in my freezer. I am fully aware of this issue, I expect it to be tough and I have a very reasonable plan to back out if it proves to be impossible. I am also very familiar with the area I am going to be staying. If I don't make it then fine. I like stid2677's signature line. "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can." I can go and try, I can back out, no shame in that and if I can't do it then at the very least I was out.
    Fair enough, but give us a few more details if you want useful information. Which month are you thinking and what region in Alaska are you looking to take this trip?

Plenty of places in coastal SouthCentral you can subsist quite well on shellfish....mussels, oysters, clams, etc..... oughta be no problem for a Newfie.....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg