Thread: Bear Baiting/hunting

Default Bear Baiting/hunting

I have not had the opportunity to set a bait station this year but I have did some hunting for black bears in the white mountains, Olnas pond area, and Chena hot springs area with no success. I am looking for any pointers to bear hunting or any good areas I can scent or set a barrel. Just recently hung scent rags in Olnas Pond area and hunted over them for 3 days with absolutely no sign. I have been hunting black bears for 3 years now with no luck I feel like I am doing something wrong. Any help would be great

Scent with no bait seems like a tough go, bears are extremely nocturnal so they probably checked your scent tag while you were sleeping. With no food for them they have no reason to stick around or come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by armydoc4 View Post
    I have not had the opportunity to set a bait station this year but I have did some hunting for black bears in the white mountains, Olnas pond area, and Chena hot springs area with no success. I am looking for any pointers to bear hunting or any good areas I can scent or set a barrel. Just recently hung scent rags in Olnas Pond area and hunted over them for 3 days with absolutely no sign. I have been hunting black bears for 3 years now with no luck I feel like I am doing something wrong. Any help would be great
    Find a person with a bait who will let you hunt with them.

Quote Originally Posted by armydoc4 View Post

If you have hung scent rags and are bear hunting over them then you ARE Bear Baiting and need to register it as a bait station and follow all the Bear Baiting rules. Olnas Pond is a campground, gotta be at least a mile away.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/wildliferegulations/pdfs/bear_baiting_regs.pdf

You MAY:
    -place bait at only two bait stations at the same time. All bait must be biodegradable. The parts of fish and game that may be legally used as bait are heads, bones, guts, skin or other parts of legally taken game not required to be salvaged (see current Alaska Hunting Regulations). In Units 7 and 15, fish or fish parts may not be used for bait.
    -You may also use scent lures, but only with a baiting permit.

You MAY NOT:
    -set up a bait station within one mile of a:∙house (including your own home),∙school,
    ∙business,

∙developed recreational facility,
    campground, or
    ∙permanent dwelling including seasonally-occupied cabins(including your own). Establishing bait stations within
    1 mile of seasonally occupied cabins is allowed in someareas. See page 2 for the list of places this is allowed.
    -set up a bait station within one-quarter mile of:
    ∙a publicly maintained road or trail,
    ∙the Alaska Railroad,

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/107120-Bear-Baiting-and-Sent-Lures

Q. I was interested if scent is considered baiting. I'm including off the shelf type products and I'm also including the use of "honey burns" basically burning honey in a pan. Does using these scents require you to register a bait stand?

A.

Thank you for your question. This is a very common question that we field each year near the start of the baiting season in the spring. If you are using bait or sent lures for black bear, you must obtain a permit. The regulations in this area are changing constantly, so make sure that you contact your local office of Alaska Wildlife Troopers annually before you hunt to make sure that regulations have not changed. Thanks AWT

5 AAC 92.044. Permit for hunting black bear with the use of bait or scent lures.

(a) A person may not establish a black bear bait station to hunt black bear with the use of bait or scent lures without first obtaining a permit from the department under this section.

Additionally...

5 AAC 92.085. Unlawful methods of taking big game; exceptions
    The following methods and means of taking big game are prohibited in addition to the prohibitions in 5 AAC 92.080(4) with the use of bait for ungulates and with the use of bait or scent lures for any bear, except that black bears may be taken with the use of bait or scent lures as authorized by a permit issued under 5 AAC 92.044;
    Last edited by Snyd; 06-12-2014 at 23:29.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Guess its a good thing I didn't see anything LOL thank you for clarifying that for me.