Thread: Grayling flies...

Question Grayling flies...

What are everyone's personal favorites for grayling flies? I've been usinng mosquitos and black ants with pretty good success...thanks for your thoughts in advance...

Happy fishing...

Beadhead Hares Ear Nymphs, Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tail Nymphs.

Elk Hair Caddis, PMD's, Light Cahill and Adams (parachute and standard).

griffins gnat, deadly on the finfish, it has always worked for me, the only time i dont use them is if i run out of them, and then mosquitos seem to work pretty good, i have caught a handfull when fishing for rainbows with egg patterns too

Tangle Lake teaser (a variation of elk hair caddis) kills in the waters near Paxton. A Green Domino is my favorite nymph, but they are almost impossible to find. Generally speaking I find grayling are not real selective.
    LBenz

The zug bug works great for me and I also like Pheasant Tail Nymphs

Default lol

If you come out to the denali highway ,,im pretty sure a piece of fuzz with a hook will bring you in a grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1
    If you come out to the denali highway ,,im pretty sure a piece of fuzz with a hook will bring you in a grayling.
    Yup. My wife tied a brown and white fly using some of my Springer Spaniels hair one day and caught fish with it. His name is Zach so we named it the Zachiebugger. It looked like a miniature brown and white wooly bugger. Hence the name.

I always see how many different flys I can catch them on. Dry and wet.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Wooly bugger

has been one of my favorites along the Denali. For dry's I like the mosquito, Brown hackle peacock and the gray hackle peacock. The Adams is a winner too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default grayling flies

Most any dry pattern will work. In chop, pick one you can see and follow, otherwise about a size 14-16 black gnat with white hair wing or clipped foam wing. A friend spent a lot of time studying that very question- trying lots of patterns and his opinion (one I have a great deal of respect for) was that the black gnat seemed to be preferred. Other than that anything can/will work if they can get their mouth over it- small leeches, smolt patterns, wolly worms, egg patterns, beads, caddis, stoneflies, etc.

Default Wooly buggers for Grayling?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    has been one of my favorites along the Denali. For dry's I like the mosquito, Brown hackle peacock and the gray hackle peacock. The Adams is a winner too.
    Akmud,
    What size WBs for Grayling? Maybe #10?
    I haven't fished WBs for Grayling, but a guy told me once he fished "bourbon" colored WBs. At least I think he meant color...

Smaller than #10?

Thanks.

Elk hair caddis and all its variations. Stimulator when they are really turned on. Bead head Hare's ears in natural for sub-surface. Thunder Creek's and Clouser's in a brown olive color.
    Sizes
    Dries are all 12 and under.
    Nymphs are 12 and under
    Streamers are 8 and under

Default In my grayling box

Elk Hair, Tangle lake teaser's, and mosquitos with a light body. Did really well with black nats up on the dalton highway for the arctic sailfish

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Beadhead olive WB like in the bottom right of this box...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Big 'uns, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Beadhead olive WB like in the bottom right of this box...

Box is a beauty. These look like 4,6's, maybe 8's?

Talking fly box

Dang Dan, I think you need to spend more time fishing, and less time organizing your fly boxes. Better yet, you could spend more time organizing my fly boxes like that.
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Dwight,

They are actually #2's. I mostly feed them to dollies/grayling in NW Alaska. Big grayling up there and even with their small mouths, they hit the #2's fine. Up there I feed them whatever I am throwing at the dollies. Many are in the 2-3 lb range and some bigger. Works like a charm. That olive wb in the middle water column has caught my biggest grayling.

Jake,

You are right man. I do need to fish more. My problem is I spend 11 months a year planning the 3 weeks or so a year I can spend in Alaska. I look like a crack ho chasing down a rock getting ready for these trips. Being sure everything is just perfect, analyzing every aspect of the food, flies, gear, etc.. But the three weeks or so I can spend in Alaska makes it all worth it. The crack ho turns into Ghandi for a few short, yet sweet weeks

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Dwight,

Jake,

You are right man. I do need to fish more. My problem is I spend 11 months a year planning the 3 weeks or so a year I can spend in Alaska. I look like a crack ho chasing down a rock getting ready for these trips. Being sure everything is just perfect, analyzing every aspect of the food, flies, gear, etc.. But the three weeks or so I can spend in Alaska makes it all worth it. The crack ho turns into Ghandi for a few short, yet sweet weeks

Just teasing Dan,
    I spend all winter doing the same thing. Looking forward to fishing with you in a few weeks.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Same here man. Can't wait. Getting close to that start losing sleep time. Then there is the butterfly in the stomach time. Then the down right nauseaus time 2-3 days before I fly out. Any place that makes you feel that way is certainly worth visiting as often as you can