Thread: NRS LoPros & Oar Towers: New Forged -VS- Old Cast?

Question NRS LoPros & Oar Towers: New Forged -VS- Old Cast?

Anyone used or even seen the new forged LoPros & Oar Towers? NRS claims "25% lighter while still being stronger!"

http://www.nrs.com/product/91028.02/...frame-fittings

http://www.nrs.com/product/91040.02/...me-6-oar-mount

Anyone ever break one of the old cast ones? New ones are definitely more brightly finished. Too much so for hunting?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

GI bought a pair of new towers this year only because I wanted to move up to 8" vs my old NRS 6". After two short trips with my basic frame and a very light load they seem to work just fine. They are shiny, but I imagine they will dull with time. They also seem stout enough. However, without having to row a heavy load yet I can't comment on their ultimate strength. I'm curious how well the imbedded nylon bushing will wear. I'm happy with them so far. They are foreign made now.
    Sorry I don't have a close up pic.

25 percent lighter You Bet have put them on several frames so far had to change drilling methods for what we do the new lo pro's are hollow. No True test on them for load and overall durability however and mind you just shooting from the hip I would assume NRS ran some testing on the product to ensure they meet the standards must of us have come to expect from their products.

The old ones were probably strong enough but I did manage to break an oar tower and two LowPro fittings. All stories involved upside down boats and Sixmile Creek; an expensive stream.

The NRS website shows that a new forged LoPro weighs 0.8#, and a new forged 6" Oar Tower weighs 1.5#. Can't find what the old cast ones weighed? But, there are a few discounted complete frames listed that were built using old cast LoPros & Towers, and when compared to the same frames built with new forged parts, and the differnce in total weight is considerable:

Universal 66"x108" / old 102# / new 82#
    Universal 72"x120" / old 108# / new 83#
    Alley Cat 72" x 88" / old 73# / new 78# (don't understand what happened with this model?)

Interesting, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.