Thread: In the last 10 days..

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default In the last 10 days..

We blew the trolling motor, then broke down rigger base and lost the ball and swarm flasher, then another ball with swarm flasher, then blew a head gasket on the main....but we been also catching fish and have a backup boat! the Refuge Rock, ROCKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Hopefully you are done with the bad stuff and can concentrate on fishing the rest of the summer!!!
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Roe View Post
    Hopefully you are done with the bad stuff and can concentrate on fishing the rest of the summer!!!
    Im lucky my wonderful wife is dealing with the blown engine and the bank etc...and I can concentrate on where the fish are!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Sam and the boys said they had a great time with you, even with spending a couple extra days with weather.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sorry to hear about all your troubles Jeff but glad to hear you are persevereing. And catching some fish to boot.
    If you ever need some downrigger weights I know where you can get some 8# and 10# fish shaped ones. They even come with a forum members discount.lol
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles Jeff but glad to hear you are persevereing. And catching some fish to boot.
    If you ever need some downrigger weights I know where you can get some 8# and 10# fish shaped ones. They even come with a forum members discount.lol
    Id have to learn how to fish all over again with the lighter weights. just the other day I tried a 10lber and wondered why the fish weren't releasing from release. I bury the lines in the release with 12-15pound weights. I learned you gotta go kinda light with the 10lb weights or the kings swim with the weights for awhile. Thanks guys.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Man, those are FISH! Right now we're swarmed with the fish from the road system plantings. Lotta fish and lotta fun, but mostly popped out of a mold in the 27" to 34" range.

Good point on the releases versus ball weight too. These little guys can't bust free if you bury the line much at all, but meanwhile don't set the hook so well when popping free.

Interesting side note- We've done a 2x or 3x on our catch rate switching to mooching recently. Tapping out in under an hour more often than not with 4 fish for 2 rods. And for some reason it's been best while anchored rather than drifting. It all started by "accident" while anchored for halibut and seeing midwater bait. Tried drifting the same water without luck, but the minute we anchor, we hook up almost immediately. And boats trolling around us aren't scoring.

Just plain weird, but it might be an interesting experiment for you down at RR.

Default limit of smallies

limit of kings today, but nothing over 30lbs, sorry about the blurry pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Id have to learn how to fish all over again with the lighter weights. just the other day I tried a 10lber and wondered why the fish weren't releasing from release. I bury the lines in the release with 12-15pound weights. I learned you gotta go kinda light with the 10lb weights or the kings swim with the weights for awhile. Thanks guys.
    Hmmm....
    I may have to invest in a 12# mold then. I had been considering it but wasn't sure how many people use that large of a weight.
    Thanks for the info.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"