Thread: King Strike

Default King Strike

Fairly short video, but I thought it was worth sharing this from last week trolling. A fairly clear video of a king hitting (and missing!) a troll herring. This is from a GoPro mounted to my downrigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCX5JoO8vMc
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Sweet!! Fish on!! How deep you running that camera? Good light. Did you land the FISH!!?

That's super cool! Always interesting to see what you normally can't. Thanks for posting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Sweet!! Fish on!! How deep you running that camera? Good light. Did you land the FISH!!?
    That one did get away, but others didn't. The camera was at around 25ft. I was running live video up to my Garmin, so this cable adds lots of drag and I can't get much deeper than that, but it is nice since you know if you herring is still there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

How do you get the go pro hooked to you garmin unit. I would love to do that with mine.

Wow! Awesome video! It's amazing how fast fish can move. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    How do you get the go pro hooked to you garmin unit. I would love to do that with mine.
    Here is the case I am using to get the video out:

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.co..._p/euvh-3s.htm
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jrogers. Are you happy with the way it works. I really want to order one now.

Yes, I am happy with it. Doing it again I might get one with a 100' cable. I have a 50', and then run a barrel connector and another 50', making sure the splice never goes into the water. You should be aware that this cable that is at least 1/4" in diameter adds a lot of drag to the downrigger, and really scopes things out, although you can still catch fish with it on, as evidenced by the video.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

That is way awesome!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

What attachment do you use on the downrigger to mount the GoPro? Way cool video and how nice to have a live feed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Vessel View Post
    What attachment do you use on the downrigger to mount the GoPro? Way cool video and how nice to have a live feed!

I have a 12 or 15lb downrigger pan weight that has a fin. I drilled a hole in the fin and bolted a gopro mount through that. I will try and take a picture sometime if this is unclear. I also built a tethering line out of heavy leader that I attach in case it comes free somehow that attaches to the downrigger cable. It seems to track really well since the downrigger ball has a big fin on it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Good idea! i will have to give that a shot. I can picture it but if you willing to share i wouldn't mind a photo.