Thread: pics of some spots on the obrien creek to haley creek trail

Default pics of some spots on the obrien creek to haley creek trail

Screenshot (51).jpgthis is a screen shot from the go pro that is right as im coming up the worst slide. It really isn't that bad, just don't fall off... Screenshot (61).jpg
    and the other shot is the rock everyone talks about. That's a little Yamaha 350 bruin that makes it up and down just fine with a little push from behind. It does look like some one hammered in a anchor that people use to pull them selves up the rock.

Thanks for the report and photos.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Just curious, why don't some of you that use this trail move some rocks from one side to the other to make it safer for all? I have always fished the point or the bridge as the trail is to crowded for my taste.

Just wondering.

In most of the bad places, if you pick a rock up from the uphill side and place it on the downhill side it will fall off the cliff and into the river. There may be a few opportunities for trail improvement, but the only thing that will really fix that road is a new cut.

If anybody is interested, I have a 40' portable bridge that could be used for the rock site. ( 10' pieces that pin together with adjustable legs. you would need the planks for it though ) I don't know what they want to do with the trail, or even if they want to keep it open.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingprosaria View Post
    In most of the bad places, if you pick a rock up from the uphill side and place it on the downhill side it will fall off the cliff and into the river. There may be a few opportunities for trail improvement, but the only thing that will really fix that road is a new cut.
    If you're dip netting below those bad spots, do you need to watch for falling rocks?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Just a fyi, about 1.5 miles from O'Brien creek there was a slide the other day.. we missed it by 20 minutes. So yes, be very alert and watch for falling rocks.

A guy put a wheeler in the creek trying to go up that rock in the second picture on Saturday. He ended up right side up where the bikers left hand is in that picture. I made quite a few trips past the tunnel in my Commander with no problems, but I winched up that rock every time.

Drove down and back up that rock sat. Others were doing it as well. Helps to have a 2nd person to push and differential lock is a plus!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by climbingprosaria View Post
    A guy put a wheeler in the creek trying to go up that rock in the second picture on Saturday. He ended up right side up where the bikers left hand is in that picture. I made quite a few trips past the tunnel in my Commander with no problems, but I winched up that rock every time.
    I never saw any sxs climb it, but I assumed you had to winch. the wheelers with diff locks went up fine.