Thread: Homer Steamer and Butter Clamming

Default Homer Steamer and Butter Clamming

With the negative tides this coming weekend and razor clamming options all but nonexistent, thinking of taking the glass boat across the bay for some steamers and butters with the family.

Any advice for a newbie. More worried about where I can safely anchor the boat since I'm not familiar with the area. Plan on taking the dinghy and kayaks to shore.

Thanks in advance. AT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

It has been a good while since I've been there, but I used to do well in Jakolof bay. As far as anchoring goes, check the tide book for the variance from high to low tide and toss the hook accordingly. Since you have small craft to go ashore, there should be no need to push the anchoring envelope. Hopefully, others can provide more up to date information or better places to get your clams. Sounds like a fun trip.

Thanks for the reply Gary...I did a search and came up with the same location(s), more or less. More worried about where not to anchor due to tidal issues, floor bottom and/or boat traffic issues. Plan was to hit China Poot, but would imagine that would be a busy place with charter dropoffs. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I wouldn't hesitate to at least check out China Poot or any "beachy" area for that matter. If there was a drawback to J Bay, it would be that it is not a very large area...but at least folks were always cordial when I visited.