Thread: where to fish the copper river

Thumbs up where to fish the copper river

I would like to go down that way next weekend to fish for salmon im just wondering where do I go ive never been to that river before what towns have access points to it?

Hey Mike, how are you fishing? Are you driving a 4wheeler or going out on a Hem charter? Most people drive down to Obrien Creek. Drive through Chitina until the road takes a turn to the left, you will see where the road goes through a narrow gap in the rocks. Don't go through the gap. Take the turn to the right that runs along a lake. This is the road to Obrien Creek...you will be driving down the old Kennicott railroad bed that runs alongside the Copper River.

Thanks for the reply and i could ride a 4 wheeler i sapose but i was hoping to just be driving into the area is this area your describing drivable?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I believe he wants to fish the Klutina river, a copper tributary, not the copper itself- no need to fish the copper, I'm not even sure it's possible and is highly dangerous besides being hard to access. The Klutina intersects with the highway and there are campgrounds on either side that provide good access. I don't know the exact milepoint but others will chime in.

Oh OK that makes more sense thanks fishwhacker I'll look into that. Would this up coming weekend be a good time to attempt that?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Head towards Valdez from Glennallen and the Klutina isn't far, maybe ten miles. I'm assuming by fishing you mean rod and reel? Most people dipnet the Copper. It's fast and super silty so catching a fish would be dumb luck or snagging, so you fish the tributary rivers like the Klutina and Gulkana. There should be reds in the Klutina confluence and campground area off and on for most of the summer, though I'd watch reports for the good times to go.