Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broad heads

Default broad heads

just wondering what is every ones favorite broad head is, and why

In my short (2 yrs) bowhunting career... I use montecs G5's (100 gr) - like them so far, except they don't have a razor edge and apparently are not supposed to (which is really weird!) also wish they had a little bigger cutting diameter. Have killed 2 whitetails and 5 pigs with them. I am thinking about switching to the montecs with replaceable blades as they look really sharp and have a little bigger cutting diameter...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Montec G5 too, 100 grainers...I like the one solid piece 3 bladed broadhead, killed a couple moose and black bears in the past and just recently a really nice Griz. these broadheads work well for me, so I didn't bother trying anything else, I'm sure others have worked as well.

Pretty close to the Monotec I shoot Magnus Stainless Steel Snuffers. Same basic design though. No moving parts, nothing to fail and they blow through everything.

As far as sharpness..... I do it. The only blades I have ever found sharp enough to hunt with out of the box were the newer Slick Tricks.

Sitting on the boat waiting for a bite? Take the broadheads along, fletch arrows, sharpen knifes.....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    As far as sharpness..... I do it. The only blades I have ever found sharp enough to hunt with out of the box were the newer Slick Tricks.
    Long ago when I hunted with a recurve (took about a 15 yr break from bow hunting) I always got my broadheads as sharp as I could. When I tried sharpening the montecs, I found it near impossible..Yes, you can get them a little sharper out of the box, and certainly put a new edge on them if they've been used...but the angle of the cutting edge is such that it is impossible to get a razor sharp edge, even following the company's sharpening guidelines. Still, I got a two for one arrow killing shot on pigs and pass through on one deer, near pass through on the other (fairly sharp quartering to) with them. I do wish they had a larger cutting diameter.

Watched a video last night that tested the newer 'clover leaf' type broadhead..toxic broadhead I think....crazy...might be worth investigating a little more.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Been using Slick Trick Magnums 100 gn. They are super sharp out of the box and you can get replacement blades. The other nice thing is they fly exactly like target points so no messing around when going to the hunt mode. Have taken a couple moose with them and they worked great.

thanks for the info guys. trying to decide on a new broad head. i have used the g5, thunderhead 100 and 125 and fixed two blade. i always trying to find one that flys like target points.

I ve been shooting g5 montecs for 9 years. 3 bou and 1 grizz. All but one were complete passthroughs out of the box w/o any extra sharpening (couple shots per animal) including shattering the shoulder blade on one bou and still completely going through. The far shoulder blade on the grizz stopped the arrow but the broad head was lodged so deep it took a bit of work to get it out. I'm hooked. I did buy a set of the toxic broadheads to try them out. They look wicked.

100gr T-locks : 9 black bears and 1 big bull caribou, all pass throughs.

I have been shooting muzzy 125 grain 3 blade broad heads since the mid 1990's. They have performed well on 2 elk, 2 moose, 3 caribou, 4 whitetails, and a black bear. I don't bowhunt as much as I used to but I see no reason to change away from a broad head that has never let me down. I still shoot aluminum arrows and an Oneida bow too so you should consider my opinion to be a bit dated. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    I have been shooting muzzy 125 grain 3 blade broad heads since the mid 1990's. They have performed well on 2 elk, 2 moose, 3 caribou, 4 whitetails, and a black bear. I don't bowhunt as much as I used to but I see no reason to change away from a broad head that has never let me down. I still shoot aluminum arrows and an Oneida bow too so you should consider my opinion to be a bit dated. Lol

Not really, I shoot an Oneida too and your set up is lethal. I use a 475 grain arrow and usually Thunderheads.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    I am also shooting aluminum arrows and muzzy broad heads and have been since mid 90s with complete success. Hard to change when it works .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

got tired of sharpening. Got tired of blood trailing Decided to go with these instead.

http://theactionelite.com/2012/11/th...rrow-head-set/

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    got tired of sharpening. Got tired of blood trailing Decided to go with these instead.

http://theactionelite.com/2012/11/th...rrow-head-set/
    I have to get some of those. I could shoot AND gut my deer at the same time!
    When I first started bowhunting there were poison pod tips. Sucsynilchlolinecloride [sic?] was the drug [I think]. Supposedly made animals die quickly.

I use 125gr Shuttle T-locks. I've found them to be field point accurate out to 70yds. I'm sure they can go father but I'm out of pins. On top of CE Piledrivers out of a 70lb Bowtech Destroyer 350

Slick Trick magnums or standards. They are very sharp right out of the package; all of my family and friends have found that after tuning with field points, that the Slick Tricks hit right in the center of our groups all of the way to 50 yards with no additional tuning (the only reason I specify that distance is that we haven't shot them further); they are very strong (every one I have checked after killing an animal still looks brand new, and can be reused with only touch up sharpening); the blades lock in EXTREMELY well with no tools needed; they are inexpensive (especially when you consider that they can be reused); they are deadly on animals, leaving a big hole, the four blades add to this.

If anyone in the Fairbanks area has a G5 on hand, I'd like to try and sharpen it.

I WILL be changing the angles.....I do believe these are very sharpenable. The reason they're hard to sharpen is steel hardness, not angles, but being I've never done it with this head I would like to try!

Juli I'll be passing through in 2 weeks, if I don't come up with one, do you have one I could tinker with? I don't mind shipping it back, or if you're coming through holding onto it until you pass through. It would be a learning experience.

I do the 'scary sharp' method (plane blades) on 3 blade heads and have had success with it. Its not fast, but it is easy. Its part of the joy of shooting non replaceable blade heads....sometimes I regret having to sharpen them, but in the end I do enjoy it. My arms and legs on the other hand don't LOL! If I was smart I would have used it on my melon, I might have staved off a shiny scalp....wait wait, let me patent that first!!!

[QUOTE=Longbow6360;1400525]I have to get some of those. I could shoot AND gut my deer at the same time!
    When I first started bowhunting there were poison pod tips. Sucsynilchlolinecloride [sic?] was the drug [I think]. Supposedly made animals die quickly.[/QUOTE

I thought that those, like exploding heads, were always illegal. Not so .......... ?

[QUOTE=Grizzly 2;1401272]
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I have to get some of those. I could shoot AND gut my deer at the same time!
    When I first started bowhunting there were poison pod tips. Sucsynilchlolinecloride [sic?] was the drug [I think]. Supposedly made animals die quickly.[/QUOTE

I thought that those, like exploding heads, were always illegal. Not so .......... ?
    Unbeknownst to the fish and game, some hunters were using them in the '70s down in Idaho. It was like spearing bears over bait at that time. It was legal (I suppose) until the fish and game found out about it. Poison pods were never a good idea anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKLABSOCIETY View Post
    just wondering what is every ones favorite broad head is, and why

Howard Hill broadhead. At 165-grains and on an 11/32" wood shaft, it will penetrate 3" of green bone . . . and you cannot make one of them windplane!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast