Thread: Boat trailer tire change

Default Boat trailer tire change

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have been using google more than three days and struck out on this one. So I did think this up myself, but I bet someone somewhere thought of it before. What I needed to do was take both tires of my boat trailer. I tried wheel chocks. I tried setting a bunch of weight on the bunks where my boat is supposed to go. I finally came up with an inexpensive clamp that works. I came up with it on my mom's birthday, so I named it after her.

I spaced the two eyebolts 14" apart, close enough to hopefully work if I am ever dealing with tire framents on mostly bare rim, but far enough apart that I can torque down the spare without poking a hole in it. Tighten up the ratchet strap like you mean it, and stand on whichever end of the 2x4 is being lifted into the air by the lug wrench.

Happy birthday Mom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I must be missing something. Removing all the wheels for a vehicle should require nothing more than jack stands. What is it that your clamp is supposed to do?

keep the tire from rotating when you try to loosen the lug nuts

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    keep the tire from rotating when you try to loosen the lug nuts
    Exactly so.

what do you want to bend the axle or the frame ????? hard to tell SID

Always good to know another way, but my basic version is a little more straight forward.

I hitch the trailer to my rig to keep it stable, then break the lugs free on one or both sides, depending. If the trailer is so light that there's not enough ground friction, I just shove in a wedge or rock where the tire hits the ground. Jack it up, remove the tire(s), replace, tighten the lugs as much as possible, then drop the trailer and finish the job.

Interesting. Why not just break all the nuts loose while it's still on the ground, before jacking?