Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Opinions

Default Tire Opinions

Picking up my new Foreman next week and am looking for some input/opinions on a new set of tires and wheels for it. I'm going to use the stock ones for around the house but want a top notch setup for the swamps and bogs up North where I hunt. Kind of between Mudlites or Swamplites at the moment but opinions on other great setups are also welcome. Thanks in advance folks.

I really like my Outlaws for the wet soupy stuff, they shined pulling my meat trailer around for the hunting season.

My Swamplites have been awesome so far in mud to mountains. No real directional slip when riding on top of slick ruts.

I am running 589's on our ATVs' that have a 6 ply side wall and Black water evolution's on our UTV, that have an 8 ply side wall rating. So far these have worked well for us. One of our ATV's has over 2300 miles on the tires and are still holding up well. While the 6/8 ply side wall tires have a stiffer ride, I like the fact that I can still ride them out if by chance one of the tires goes flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    Picking up my new Foreman next week and am looking for some input/opinions on a new set of tires and wheels for it. I'm going to use the stock ones for around the house but want a top notch setup for the swamps and bogs up North where I hunt. Kind of between Mudlites or Swamplites at the moment but opinions on other great setups are also welcome. Thanks in advance folks.

You CAN NOT go wrong with a set of Terminators from SuperATV. 2" lugs, smoothest riding mud tire you'll ever ride on guaranteed. They are gnarly, almost have to be trying to get stuck to have it stuck. I have them on my Ranger Crew and have been nothing less than impressed. I know another fella that has a set on his Crew and is equally impressed. With the tires size, I am not sure how small you can get them....but you might need a slight lift.....but you will go anywhere you little machine will want to go.

I would stay away from the mud lites. The side walls are way too soft and tear out easily on rocks and run sticks right through them. Swamp lites aren't much better. Get something with a 6ply or heavier sidewall on them. I have a year now on a set of xtr's and so far really like them.

Going to knock on wood here, but I have been running mudlites for several years and many miles, and haven't seen the side wall issues you have stated ultrarider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Whatever you do, save yourself big $$$ and buy them on-line. I got a set of Swamplites shipped free to Tacoma (Carlile Express) and they shipped them to Los Anchorage for $75 for the four. Figured I saved about $45 per tire then buying anywhere in Alaska (everyone seems to sell them at the same price).
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have searched high and low for the best muskeg tires.

The bottom line seems to be that Highlifter Outlaws seem to be the best for paddling.

Need proof to see what these things will go through?

Search ostacruiser on YouTube. The guy has tested outlaws like nobody's business.

As an all round tire I lean toward the Swamp Lite. Osta is turning a lot of horsepower with those Outlaws, in the skeg, you either stay on top or have a lot of ground clearance and horsepower.

Outlaws are heavy just like my silverbacks so like fishkill said unless you have the hp don't bother a plus for the swamplites is in the name they are light and will treat your drivetrain much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put some Dirt Devil X/T's (not sure if still available) on my Foreman S about 10 years ago. I think I originally ordered them through Shade Tree Powersports. Not sure if you have that option. I ordered them already mounted on some black ITP wheels. The stock tires wore out in about a year. The Dirt Devils have about 7/8" tread left on the back tires and slightly less on the front. I went with the 26x10.00-12 on front and 26x12.00-12 on back. I kept my original tires and wheels thinking I'd swap them from time to time. Maybe put some snow tires on original wheels. I have never put the stock tires back on. The Foreman is just so darn good. I skid logs, plow snow, do yard work, haul tons of firewood and trail ride with it. It has 2947 miles on it. The size of the tires has not affected the power. I have skidded a lot of logs up steep hills in sloppy mud in the rain. I can't say anything negative about the Foreman or the Dirt Devils.

been hearing that maxxis zilla's are nice and lightweight. they are a 6 ply tire. personally don't have any experience with them though.

I don't want to kill my Outlaws on every day trail riding so I bought a set of 27" STI Black Diamonds XTR's today to put on an extra set of stock rims I have. They look somewhat like the Pit bull Rockers I put on my Big Boss 6x6, hopefully they perform half as good...those Rockers are something else!

Everybody has an opinion and this is just mine from personal experiences. I started my search for the ultimate Alaskan tire with Mudlights, I had them a short time before I gashed the sidewall on a rock on top of Monument coming out from a couple days in....the didn't impress me at all with traction either. From there I went to ITP 589's and was happy enough with them I put them on my wife's 300 Fourtrax as well and that's what we used for many years....they wear as made of iron.
    A few years back my hunting partner put a new set of Outlaws on his stock Foreman and absolutely schooled me through the moose season yanking me out of holes left and right....his machine stock and mine with the 589's,gear reduction,Detroit Gearless Locker,Gorilla axels etc etc etc... The next season I was sporting Outlaws which actually do pretty well in rocky situations as well as the of course mud/muskeg.
    I bought a new Big Boss for hunting trips only and tried something new altogether, Pit bull Rockers in 8ply radials. Quite spendy for an ATV tire and 6 at that but wow, I know that extra 2 tires on the ground make a difference but the tires seemed to stick like glue and with a bull in the bed and a trailer behind me we got tired of winching the Outlaw wearing Foreman through holes and up hills that we just hooked a strap to him and I pulled him through and over all the bad stuff. I love the Rockers period.
    This year I sold the Wife's old Honda 300 and bought her a 2012 Grizzly 700 with less than a hundred miles and already wearing a new set of Swamplites. My impression of the Swamplites from her machine and others I have rode with is I plain don't like them. They don't seem to do anything real well yet the dealers are pushing them hard just like they did the Mudlites in there heyday. There's Swamplites on every other machine it seems because the salesmen are pushing for the tire upgrade on new machines and the Swamplites can be bought at big savings on big orders through the distributorship here in town...that's my opinion anyhow. If her tires weren't so new I would get a set of something else for the Grizzly.
    Now I have heard good things from a few people that they like the STI Black Diamond ATR and XTR's. Both are radial 6 ply but the ATR's have 3/4" tread and the XTR's have 1-1/8" tread. The kinda remind me of a PB Rocker only a little less aggressive and not as expensive.
    Like I stated in my previous post I wanted different tires for my Foreman since its not my dedicated hunting rig now and will see leisure riding more often.... I will save my Outlaws for certain "mud trips" we may make. I would have loved to buy PB Rockers but didn't want to spend a grand on more tires(well I did but didn't want to get in trouble) so I got a real on the STI Black Diamond XTR's in 27-9-12 and 27-11-12. I just mounted them up and dropped the pressure to 4 psi in all four. Online reviews are saying they like to run 2.5 psi as it smooths out the ride and has no issues of popping a bead as the tires are meant for heavier sxs's. I don't feel comfy with 2.5 psi so I'll try 4... Besides they will be much smoother on hard pack than Outlaws garenteed.
    That's just my take on the tire subject, hopefully these Black Diamonds will be a good purchase,we shall see....

How well does that forman turn those 27's in the mud? do you feel like you need more power? I've got 26" mudlites on my 2013 foreman right now and kind of wish I went with 27s, the fenders sit so high it makes my 26's look like 24's! And dang it if honda didn't come out with diff lock for 2014, I was bummed
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I can only give honest feedback for the Foreman 450 but I believe the 500 Foreman isn't as low geared as the 450, or at least the older 500's weren't (05'-09'). With 27" 589's I found myself in 1st gear more than I really wanted to be so I went with a 14% gear reduction which is basically a primary gear and clutch basket/secondary gear from a Honda 300 fourtrax. There is also a company called Armor Tech that puts the bits together as a kit.
    The 14% made a great improvement towards spinning the larger tires...don't get me wrong,you can turn them fine stock you just find yourself in the lower gears and higher revs more.
    I sold my trusty 02' Foreman this spring and put all my aftermarket parts I've collected over the years that was on it onto my backup 03' Foreman 450s although I left the gear reduction in the one I sold and went a little further on my 03'.... The 300 primary is a 27 tooth, through research I found that the first run of 1985 Honda Big Reds had a 26 tooth so I sourced one and had it machined to fit my crank and had new bushings made for it. Along with the 300 clutch basket it is now a 17% reduction and I like it. My top speed is only 36 mph but the low end is great for pulling the Outlaws and meat trailer around.
    There was a kit for the older 500's out there at one time but I'm not sure what it entailed....if its simply changing primary/secondary I would go for it. My hunting partner has the 14% on his 400 Foreman and pulls his Outlaws and meat trailer every year back in the hunting grounds......
    Ha, guess I got long winded and off track. Ya you can pull 27's with some change in performance.

Cant wait to hear your review on the Black Diamonds. They have been on my short list for some time but have yet to pull the trigger on a set for the GFs 550 grizz
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Big fan of the Dirt Devils, just don't know if you can find them any more. I have a set that are on their third atv, they are my small (27") set for my XMR. They are a popular pulling tire and are very good all around tire.

I went with the Maxxis Zillas for both my 07 400 Big Bear and the wife's 08 400 Arctic Cat. I based my decision on them being lighter than competitive tires on the market since both our wheelers don't have a lot of grunt. I've run them for 3 seasons now and don't really have any complaints. I ended up puncturing one of them with a piece of metal back at the knik glacier. Rode all the way back on a rear flat, had the tire patched, and there was no damage to the tire at all. The only complaint I've heard about the Zillas are that they run a little smaller than their advertised sizes.

Just picked up our first SXS, a 2011 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 HDX, and I'm probably going to go with 27in Maxxis Zillas on that. Although I'm looking closely at the ITP Mega Mayhems as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast