Thread: Moaning & Groaning and thanks.....

Default Moaning & Groaning and thanks.....

I have been playing on the Kenai for almost 50 years and have lived in Kenai for 34 years. I hope some good comes out of the recent fire. Last fall I made my first trip to the Caribou Hills since the big fire there. I started hunting there in 1990 and was blessed with a bunch of success over the years. Most of the burn area looks like a sea of grass to me, what eats that grass? Maybe it will turn into moose browse some day, maybe this last fire will. The moose hunting is sorry again on the Kenai and will stay that way for a long time. Bear hunting is really good if you are a good hunter and in good physical condition. Darn brown bear sow and 2 cubs came through again a few days ago and the 3 moose calves that I knew of are gone. Since I am retiring June 30th I will be able to spend more time in interior Alaska where I can leave a big carbon foot print and many tire tracks. So many trails and new areas to see. My wife and I are in our 60's now and we rely more on the ATV's then we used to. The best memories of my hunting career are moose hunts and sneaking down trails on a frosty morning with her, we can still do that. The King fishing here is sorry and controlled by the most influential user groups and the heck with what is best for the rivers and the King's. I sold our big boat 3 years ago and we will do the charter thing a couple of times a year. I would move to the interior but the daughter's family is a couple hundred yards from us and my wife would miss them to much if we moved, so would I. So it looks like a big fuel bill is forever in my future as we drive to where we hope to find moose and caribou. I am really going to enjoy the freedom retirement gives on time restraints. Thank you God for countless blessings!

338 mag; retirement is very good!!!!! We hunt a lot on the Denali Highway and since we are both retired, we have no time line to come home. Last year we set up the motor homes and travel trailers (friends of ours) and spent three weeks there. If the weather was nasty, we could stay warm and comfortable. When the weather got better, we all were out on the trails stopping and spotting for game. We all had a good time!
    One can only hope that with the recent fires on the Kenai, that the hunting could improve. Only time will see. Who knows, since we also rely on the ATV's more these day, we might bump to you all on the trails.

Retirement can be outstanding but you have to work at it. Every day is the same,no weekends or vacation and sick days just all the same Holiday. You worked and earned every memory you make now and sharing it with the wife is great.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Retirement can be outstanding but you have to work at it. Every day is the same,no weekends or vacation and sick days just all the same Holiday. You worked and earned every memory you make now and sharing it with the wife is great.
    Astute observation ... and very true! Take note and benefit.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have been playing on the Kenai for almost 50 years and have lived in Kenai for 34 years. I hope some good comes out of the recent fire. Last fall I made my first trip to the Caribou Hills since the big fire there. I started hunting there in 1990 and was blessed with a bunch of success over the years. Most of the burn area looks like a sea of grass to me, what eats that grass? Maybe it will turn into moose browse some day, maybe this last fire will. The moose hunting is sorry again on the Kenai and will stay that way for a long time. Bear hunting is really good if you are a good hunter and in good physical condition. Darn brown bear sow and 2 cubs came through again a few days ago and the 3 moose calves that I knew of are gone. Since I am retiring June 30th I will be able to spend more time in interior Alaska where I can leave a big carbon foot print and many tire tracks. So many trails and new areas to see. My wife and I are in our 60's now and we rely more on the ATV's then we used to. The best memories of my hunting career are moose hunts and sneaking down trails on a frosty morning with her, we can still do that. The King fishing here is sorry and controlled by the most influential user groups and the heck with what is best for the rivers and the King's. I sold our big boat 3 years ago and we will do the charter thing a couple of times a year. I would move to the interior but the daughter's family is a couple hundred yards from us and my wife would miss them to much if we moved, so would I. So it looks like a big fuel bill is forever in my future as we drive to where we hope to find moose and caribou. I am really going to enjoy the freedom retirement gives on time restraints. Thank you God for countless blessings!
    Sorry but I'm just not understanding the "moaning & growning" part of your post.......lol.

Good luck on your retirement. I'm not far behind you, but haven't got a clue as to when I'll actually be able to retire........a lot of times I wish it was yesterday.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I hear your moaning and groaning quite well. We use to have a stable moose population and it sure was fun to harvest a 50- 120lbs of king salmon every year out of the river. 2011 is the last time I tasted fresh king from the Kenai river. We all hope that we can bring back the king run and also our moose numbers. Its still a great place to iive and raise a family though. I am afraid if they do bring the gas pipeline to Nikiski its going to be way more busier here than we are use to. That's probably 10 years off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Retirement can be outstanding but you have to work at it.
    Pure magic, right there.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today