Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you feed your dog?

Default what do you feed your dog?

Curious what brand of dog food everyone is using.

Raw "TRESPASSERS". Same thing I feed the bears.

I have sled dogs: Red Paw 32K.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

my dogs do great on Kirkland lamb and rice and one of them has a very sensitive stomach.

I use Taste of the Wild. I switch flavors around, but my dog seems to really like the salmon, and the venison one. Both are grain free, and the number 1 ingredient listed is meat.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

We've gone through a variety of foods over the past 3 years,mostly because my girlfriend likes to "experiment" to make sure the dog is happy. (He's a lab, I've seen him eat rocks. His motto is eat first, ask questions later.)

We started out with Iams, not the sport dog-the one with the shield on it. Our vet thought it might be causing a skin reaction and itching, so we switched him over to Blue Buffalo. (Plus, he just smelled bad when he was eating the Iams.) I liked the Blue Buffalo because it is the highest protein content of just about anything on the shelf. But that cause some serious loose BM's and really bad gas, so we switched to Natural choice. We messed around mixing Natural Choice adult and senior dog about half and half until we found a balance that ended the gas. Then, for some unknown reason, the girlfriend switched his food again to Nature's Recipe, but it was the Salmon flavor and it's the only food I ever saw this dog not eat. I mean, it was like he was on a hunger strike. He would only eat one meal a day. We took him the vet over it. (In fact, if anyone is local in Anchorage and would like to try this out with their dog, or if that's your brand/flavor, send me a PM, and I have about 10lbs or so here you can have.) Currently, we feed him Nutro Max Lamb and Rice, and that seems to be working well with regards to stool consistency, lack of gas, coat health, etc.

our vet advised us to look for foods with a minimum of ingredients, so we look at that, and a we look at the "guaranteed protein" content, and try to stay somewhere around mid 20's percentage. More than that and we start seeing digestive issues, but our dog is 9 yrs old now. The only other thing I look for is Made in USA food and treats. He doesn't get anything from China. (Incidentally, both Petsmart and. Pet Super Market recently committed to ridding the shelves of all Chinese food products by year' send.)

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Curious what brand of dog food everyone is using.
    What ever you do stay away from food with corn. Corn isn't good for dogs....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dr Tim's, decent price as well for a 44lb bag of premium dog food.

Kirkland chicken and rice, plus some canned pumpkin. Both my older Lab and very active young Vizsla (who has a very sensitive stomach) do well on this, and it's cheap compared to those boutique dog foods. For some reason they both get GI upsets from the lamb & rice formulation.

Have to say I like the salmon and sweet potato food at costco - Nature's Domain it comes in a blue bag. They also have a turkey and sweet potato variety. Has NO corn or grains. I do wish it had a little higher fat content, but not necessary if your dog is an 'average activity' companion.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The Kirkland brand is some pretty good food. We feed our lab that and the fat beagle Blue buffalo weight managment. We tried the Nutra brand and she puked everyday she ate it. Did some research and others had the same issue.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by AKRivers View Post
    Kirkland chicken and rice, plus some canned pumpkin. Both my older Lab and very active young Vizsla (who has a very sensitive stomach) do well on this, and it's cheap compared to those boutique dog foods. For some reason they both get GI upsets from the lamb & rice formulation.
    We just started giving our older lab canned pumpkin about 2-3 weeks ago on an "as needed" basis. Seems like every trip to the cabin, he eats a bunch of grass (nothing new there) then gets constipated (that is new), then we give him the pumpkin and he is usually okay by morning.

For any of the foods any of you are feeding, what research did you do? How did you determine what is best for your dog? Did you look at feed studies? Did the manufacturer actually do, or have done, feed studies to determine if their recipes were worth the money or not? Maybe some of you actually called the manufacturer to ask them? Who designed the food? Or rather, did a veterinarian trained in nutrition come up with the recipe? Or, did you read blogs and look at websites?
    It's pretty easy to assume what we feed is good, but how are you objectively measuring that? Honestly, for the most part, we can't. Sure, we can see some issues, but the assumption is that if the coat is glossy, stools solid, dog eats it, then by golly, we've done our part. Mushers, due to the number of dogs they feed, are likely going to come up with better objective evidence than the single dog owner.
    Do you know what AAFCO stands for? Do you really believe that the labels accurately portray what is in the bag? Well, on some bags, yes, on others, heck no. It depends on how the food was registered. I won't tell you what to feed, nor is what I feed important. But there is a lot more to the story than meets the eye.
    ARR

Last two Drahthaars have been wolfing down the SAMs Club lamb and rice or the Purina One stuff...first DD couldn't eat chicken. This one loves it and seems to be able to eat anything...Hunting or working dogs eat a lot more food than the recommended amount on the bag. 2X the amount listed is about right...super active metabolism....

I am surprised at how many folks are feeding their dogs the budget priced foods from the two big warehouse stores. That's not a criticism or sarcasm; I just thought more folks in this group would be feeding the higher end stuff.

budget priced? Same ingredients as the high dollar brands without the price of the name aspect...

But!!!!! One dollar a pound for a 40lb bag isn't exactly budget priced...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    budget priced? Same ingredients as the high dollar brands without the price of the name aspect...
    That's actually not true (when you look at ingredient lists, note the order - they're ordered by content weight) and it excludes looking at macronutrients (fat, protein: that is to say, fuel). If that were true, you can bet that those of us feeding upwards of twenty dogs would be feeding budget foods.

It's also the case that when you feed lower-quality feeds your dog is crapping out more of it (poorly digestible ingredients) than when they're fed better feeds.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

the high-end sams or cosco brands have the exact same ingredients as the Iams or Purina high end brands....go do your homework....we are not talking budget brands.. I've been raising and working hunting dogs for 35 years in Alaska...I know what works and what doesn't.... go figure it out... this isn't rocket science... go pay the premium price for the name if you want...I'll save my money, thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    That's actually not true (when you look at ingredient lists, note the order - they're ordered by content weight) and it excludes looking at macronutrients (fat, protein: that is to say, fuel). If that were true, you can bet that those of us feeding upwards of twenty dogs would be feeding budget foods.

It's also the case that when you feed lower-quality feeds your dog is crapping out more of it (poorly digestible ingredients) than when they're fed better feeds.

I think mlshore is talking about "exceptional" foods, not merely "high end". Purina or costco/kirkland is not an "exceptional" dog food, imo. If you want to be amazed, feed a 20 dog kennel Caribou Creek dog food. Your poop scooping will drop to 50% of what it had been. You will feel guilty about how little food you are giving each dog in the summer, but they will have good weight and obviously getting plenty of nutrition.

There is no way I can justify feeding dog food that costs a dollar a pound anymore. If I was racing, you bet. NOw I try to keep it around 60 cents a pound when I can. Kirkland green bag for mine. I fed the Redpaw back before it was "cool", (ie the Mackey dynasty). As soon as mushers started catching on to how good it was, the price jumped about 30%. Typical.

IMHO, if you expect serious work out of your dogs, feed them "exceptional' food. If they chase birds and kids around the yard for a living, then the kirkland types of food are better than good enough. The low end attaboy, ol roy type stuff is crap and that is what you will get alot of if you feed it.

NM....google is my friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast