Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan guide model tent

Default Alaskan guide model tent

I bought a 4 man cabelas alaskan guide model tent, aluminum poles and have 2 questions.

First when I set it up the last 2 rain fly hooks were very hard to get hooked into the rings. To the point I have to really pull on them to get them hooked? Set up looked right, not sure what I could have done wrong? How tight is your fly when you set it up?

Second mine did not have a vestibule. From what I see the new model does and the old ones do not, trouble is I cannot find the vestibule for sale at Cabelas online. With extreme hose test (to simulate hard wind/rain) water got around the door, and into the tent - mostly where I sprayed water one areas designed to breath. Assuming proper setup with door out of the wind this is not a problem but a vestibule would assure no water hitting any part of the door to get in. Does your have a vestibule?

Default Cabelas

I have owned several guide tents, thay are all tight. It's what I want actually as the water tends to roll right off of the fly and not puddle. I would just call them 1-800-237-8888 if you bought it from them they will solve the problem in prompt order. They always have for me anyway.

Thumbs up

Don

I have the same model that I bought this year .
    They have two models for sale the older one that you can add a vestibule and the new one that has it built into it , I have the newer one .
    I also had a tight rain fly . I unhooked the fly hooks and re centered and all was well .

I had mine over on Kodiak this spring for two weeks and did a hard rain test there for 4 straight days and no water leaks at all .
    I was a happy camper to say the least .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thanks, I figure the fly is tight for above reasons, sheds water better (big plus) and will stop wind from catching and possibly unhooking hooks (if wind bows tent and they are loose it could produce enough slack to unhook it, then when the wind subsides it is free).

I cannot find the vestibule on their website? I have no idea how to get one, I think they discountinued them when the new model came out, and I think I remember them being on clearance.

I saw one for sale on ebay a few days ago I cannot find it now

Woody

Default tents

I used them on our caribou trips out west and the first trip it poured every night for 6 nights and no water. the second time we got in to 80+ mph winds and once i was smart enough to use the upper guide lines the tent held up to that too. best tent i've ever used. I went out and bought my own when I got home from the last trip. Used it three times since and I still love em.
    Justin

Don,
    Are you still looking for a vestibule. I'm sending an email off the one of my buddies who is a Product Design Engineer for Cabelas. I know for a fact he has been to the factory where the tents are made. Perhaps he can help.

F2T

Don,
    Are you still looking for a vestibule. I'm sending an email off the one of my buddies who is a Product Design Engineer for Cabelas. I know for a fact he has been to the factory where the tents are made. Perhaps he can help.

F2T

I think I might, depends on what they cost. Thanks and let me know.

Default I would recommend the vestibule.

On my last trip we used both the 4 man and 6 man versions of this tent. The 6 man was like a condo, but it was quite heavy. Even the 4 man has plenty of room for two people with 2 cots, a dry goods box and all our gear. Quite a bit of the gear is stored under the cots. Without being able to store stuff under the cots of in the vestibule, I think you might be tripping on stuff if you had to spend any length of time inside. I never really noticed not being able to fully stand in the 4 man version. I think you made a good choice with the 4 man version. But I would recommend the vestibule. Should it get nasty, it makes a good cooking facility, or a place to get out of the rain. Not to mention a place to store things that just keep getting in the way inside. I'm one of those types that like to keep everything organized.

While there might be better tents onthe market, for the money this tent is a great buy and should adequently suite your purposes. IF I were spending my money, this tent would definietly be on/near the top of my list.

F2T

Exclamation Vestibule Beware

I Bought My Vista One Year Later From The Time I Bought The Tent And Could Not Get It To Attache Correctly So I Sent It Back For Another One. That One Also Didnt Work So After Talking To There Pro Staff I Ended Up Sending The Whole Thing Back With The Tent. And Recived A New One Where Every Thing Worked.(heres The Best Part) The Reason Why It Didnt Work Is Because The Rain Fly On The First Tent Was A 2000 Model And The Vista Was A 05. But I Bought The Tent In 04, The Tent Stayed On The Shelf For 5 Years And They Changed Hook Up Designs So Beware If You Buy A Vista On Ebay

The only reason I love the guide tent is because of the deluxe vestibule. It simply changes everything about hunting out of a tent. I have a 4 man with the deluxe vestibule and she'll be getting her first test this fall on a Kodiak goat hunt. I have no doubts in the ability of this tent as we survived near 48 hours of 60-70+ mph winds last spring on the Peninsula in a 6 man guide tent and the 4 man has less surface area to be affected by wind because its shorter.

I know exactly what your saying about the fly being tight. I know this is gonna sound crazy but if you put the fly on tight and then use a garden hose to spray the entire fly top to bottom the material will actually expand and it wont be sooo tight. I have had this issue as well before when I dried the fly off the guide tent instead of while still on it.(ie breaking camp in a heavy rain and then drying the fly out a day or two later).

Please send address to me as well.....mine got stole and can not find replacement...yabbayarrow@yahoo.com

Isn't the vestible part of the rainfly, and isn't it included with the purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    Isn't the vestible part of the rainfly, and isn't it included with the purchase?
    On the newer model guide tents it is part of the fly but on the older models it was separate and much larger.

I'm in the exact same predicament. I have an older 4 person guide model tent that does not have the small vestibule on the fly. I would like to get the small vestibule or get a whole new fly with the vestibule. Where are you guys finding the newer fly/vestibule? I can't find it on Cabelas web site or ebay. I have the older separate vestibule by the way. Thanks, Ed F
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (110.2 KB, 192 views)

I have the six man guide tent with detachable vestibule. What I have found with the rain fly is to 1) attach it before staking the tent down. 2) When attaching it start with one corner then go to the opposite corner. Similar to when you tighten lug nuts. This seems to help instead of going in a clock-wise or counter clock-wise direction and ending up with the last one being too tight to hook.

I have a 4 man that I received as a gift in 1996. The tent has seen major usage over the years in all kinds of weather from Alaska to North Carolina. It's obviously too heavy for backpacking, but works well for car and motorcycle camping. About 4-5 years ago my rain-fly was damaged. A quick call to Cabelas had a new fly on the way, with the built in vestibule. The attachment system has changed a little bit, but the fly fits fine. It is tight and requires some effort to connect, but my original one was the same. In my opinion, this is the best tent you can buy for the money. 15 years old and still going strong. I will need to retape the seams on the tent floor in the next year or two and some of the pegs have gotten bent over time, but it has no other issues.

If you need a tent, give one of these serious consideration. If you need parts for yours, just call Cabelas.

Mike

As others have mentioned. I would reccomend that you get the vestibule if only for the added protection during heavy weather. I have both the older and newer model and I am not sure how I would keep rain out of the thent on the older model without the vestibule attached.
    Here is a link to my Cabela's Guide Model Filed Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM
    This was on Kodiak Island. The most rainfall ever recorded in a 24 hour period. Camping weather I say! :-)

I have had the same results with my Guide model tent . Lots of rain outside none inside .
    Thanks for the video looks like you had fun !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast