Thread: Kenai peninsula spirit/elephant lake

Default Kenai peninsula spirit/elephant lake

So my 2 yr old daughter has reeled up her first halibut and has the bug to get back out and catch more fish, she also loves going on the boat so on my next week off I am planning to take her out in my little jon boat to elephant Lake.. Maybe.... I have fished this lake in the past but never in the summer, never even been there in the summer, it has always been through the ice and it's been several years since I've been to the lake at all. So I have two questions
    1) is there a launch there I can get a 14' boat on the lake with?
    2) what's the best way to catch fish there

I remember this lake being great for ice fishing with lots of fish and I do seem to remember something about a launch there but not sure so that's why I'm hoping it'll be a good place to take her on the boat and to hopefully catch a fish or two. I was planning on just trolling spinners or bobber and eggs.
    Thanks for the help

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes there is a dirt launch there with parking at the top of the hill. Please be courteous and park so others can launch also.
    Occasionally it gets hard to launch/retrieve with all the cars parking at the bottom of the hill nearest the lake.
    We like to use spinners such as size 0 and size 1 Mepps and vibrax etc. For a kid a bobber with a split shot or two and Salmon eggs or raw shrimp on a hook should work well.
    I like the balsa slip floats or the balsa clip on bobbers. I have never been fond of the red/white plastic ones.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Is one place as good as another out there. I always fished the far back side but al as seen holes in the ice and people fishing right off the first point

If you see fish jumping then that is usually a good place to let the kids catch some fish. Rest assured even if they are small there are usually a few bigger fish in the mix and with the right gear you'll get a few bigger ones mixed in with the smaller ones.
    I also like to fish the edges of the weeds and the lilly pads as well as the dropoffs. There is a good dropoff on the back part of the lake that can be good fishing but I usually concetrate on the weed edges first.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Awesome thanks. I appreciate the info