Thread: Sitka Road System Fishing

Default Sitka Road System Fishing

I'm working in Sitka This week. Looking for some places I can drive or hike to after work for a bit of fishing.

PM sent !

I am headed to Sitka for a few days next week (6/29). How was the fishing? I would be looking to drive or hike as well. Thanks!

Thimblerry and Heart lake out Sawmill creek road have a good population of brook trout. Good fishing for small trout in thimbleberry, slower fishing for larger trout in Heart lake. Indian river in town has the occasional rainbow, dollys are good, and salmon might start trickling in soon. Same with Starrigavin creek. By far the best fishing off the road system (for trout) is to bike/hike to Green Lake road out passed the end of Sawmill Creek road. It's 5 miles passed the gate at the end of the road; but record breaking Brook Trout and also land locked King salmon can be caught. My buddy caught a 24" king there last year while only spending a couple hours fishing from the road side of the lake!

If your targeting rockfish or other bottomfish, just drive out Sawmill Creek road anywhere passed Whale Park, and hike down off the road onto the rocks and start casting/jigging. The same can be said for the HPR end of the road, though it seems to get fished more than the south end...Good luck!

Thank you Anythingalaska. I'm looking forward to the trip.