Thread: Questions Sag River Caribou

Thumbs up Questions Sag River Caribou

I am considering a hunt off the haul road for Caribou. It looks like I will have to cross the Sag River to get 5 miles off the road (not a bow hunter). Has any of my fellow hunters out there done this? What should I expect? Another question I have regarding boat access to the Sag River. Is it navagable? I have a 20 foot Wooldridge Alaskan II. Is there a place to launch?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

there was a great thread on one of the sites, thought it was here or on bowsite could not find it right off.
    not easy, not like walking anywhere else you have walked. ......bad idea most folks that have would not do it again.
    you can drive 100 miles and not see 'bou so how do you pick the spot to walk in at???????
    at least one person died crossing river in last 4-5 years
    boats put in 50 miles south of Deadhorse, need jet, air boat or go-devil type motor. or raft and pay transporter to drop you off up the Ivashak and float out.
    if i locate the thread i mentioned i will post link...

also most common ticket written is people shooting caribou less than 5 miles off.....thought they were!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 06-06-2007 at 06:58. Reason: added last line
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Pump 2

North of pump two there are two pull outs people use to launch. Alyeska has built a very nice launch before happy valley but I do know if it is OK to use by non-Alyeska personnel. You can run 5 miles up the Ivashak to get your 5 miles back to hunt. Go early in the season to ensure you will have water. Good luck.

Default Haul Road Hunt

I think this is the link that AK NIMROD is referring to:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12297

Young grasshopper go left off the road and you won't have to cross a river..... Crossing the sag can be very dangerous. Like Aknim said do a search and you will find allot of threads about this.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Don't worry about the negative post

Their only trying to save your life. Dave

Alaska Gray makes a great point.... no need to cross the river when you can look at it...then real subtle-like...turn 180 degrees. There will be just as many caribou behind you as in front of you. No need to even chance the river....especially for a hunter who's walking.

Five miles will suck on the tundra...no need to throw in a river crossing.

One other tip (and this is not to insult your intelligence). Take multiple waypoint markings of the road on your GPS. Wherever you decide to park, go a mile+ up and down the road taking multiple waypoint indications. Then as you reach the five mile corridor, take distance reading from the different waypoints. You may be five miles from your truck, but not five miles from the road (as it isn't a straight line).

My hunting partner and I ran into three guys; that had three bou (nice bulls BTW), their gear, their guns, and their souls taken by ADF&G for taking bou within the corridor. They had set a cookie trail on the GPS and walked five miles (as indicated), but they weren't five miles from the road.

Also, if you walk five miles from your truck/road, but the road cuts back towards you, the five mile mark is from the "road" (period) not necessarily your truck. So do your homework, get some maps, get a good GPS, get in shape, read every thread you can get your eyes on, ask as many questions as you see fit to inform yourself. Then walk five miles, then another 1/2-3/4 just to give you some wiggle room.

ADF&G can be like Jedi Masters at times. They use the force. They know where your at, and where the corridor is. You may get lucky, but don't be surprised if a cub lands where you are, circles you, or you see some friendly uniforms walking out to check out your kill (which they will do if your illegal)
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default just my thoughts

OK, lots of good inputs, but don't be scared, just know your abilities, we camped out about 7 miles past pump station, there was a road that led about a 1/2 mile from the sag, anyways, there were lots of bou on the other sag. It comes down to how bad you want something, I hunted with a friend for bou with our bows for 4 days, on day 5 we decide to go in the 5 miles with the rifles, wouldn't you know it, it got socked in and the report said that it was there to stay, is it tough walking, probably, but in the end how bad do you want a bou??? One day bowhunting we did 7 miles of hiking, I would recommend going in 3.5 miles off of the road, and take a kids red sled, that you can use to drag behind you. You probably have heard the horror story of the airman who drove their trucks in to retrieve their caribou, that is an example of a lack of intestinal fortitude, its only as tough as you make it out to be, unless you are under a time constraint, it is putting one foot in front of the other, 2 trips for a total of 20 miles, that is two days work, if you cant do 2 days worth of work, then you shouldn't make the trip--side note, I killed my moose by myself 1.5 miles from camp, it took 4-10 hour days to get him home, not a land speed record, as I am sure many could do quicker, but the bottom line was it sucked but it still got done!! Carry a GPS, and get some maps of the area, know where the corridor is and take a friend for company, help if needed

yes SHPHTR THAT IS THE THREAD. THANX

F-16 I BELIEVE THE LAUNCH AT 45 MILE IS TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL TO USE.....MORE THAN 1/4 MILE OFF AND NOT LISTED. BUT STILL USED HEAVILY
    HOPEFULLY NEW LAUNCH AT "ICE CUT" WILL BE OPEN.......BUT THAT IS NOT NORMALLY THE CASE WITH THE ONES THEY BUILD.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Great Info!

Thanks to all who have offered their inputs and expertise. Going west does make more sense. I should just get smart and become bow certified and hunt in the corridor! Has anyone out there ever motored a boat up the Ribdon River (Flows into the Sag River from the east)