Thread: Over whites?

Default Over whites?

Preparing for my first sheep hunt this August. Headed to the Chugach range on a backpack hunt. Just wanted to see what the best lightweight over whites are? Tyvek coveralls? What are you all using?

Frogg Toggs used to make a " Packable Rain Gear" in white, they were my favorite, lightweight and fairly tough, had many rams walk within a couple feet while wearing them. Unfortunately they are no longer made in white. I have used Tyvek which works but is not very durable.

I have a Tyvek suit, and although I haven't used it yet (can't speak to its durability or lack there of) it was cheap and only weighs 9 oz.

Military surplus over whites......@ 907 SURPLUS (907) 677-9780 about $20.00 for top and bottom.

I like the Tyvek suits. Besides the obvious they keep you clean and you can burn them before you head out....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks guys, I'll get a suit ordered. Amazon has them for $7. Beautiful ram 4mer, gets me super pumped to go.......only two months now!

I always liked to soak them in black tea for a few hours, gives them the off white color, little less bright.

If your Rifle hunting I don't see a need for wearing whites for Dall Sheep, but that's My opinion, Every sheephunter/guide I know here in Alaska with the exception of Stid (whom may have used it occasionally), I know, haven't used white suits, and are successful every year after year. The key to a great stalk on sheep whether at close distance or from afar is to control movement and scent control. Sheep have the keenest set of eyes and can spot you from over a mile, but if your movement is suttle and not to purposeful they will just stare you down until they go back to feeding again, I've come within bow range to some sheep almost to the point they have a sense of curiosity somewhat like our mountain goats.....just my thoughts, you could replace the extra 9 ounces with another Mountain House meal.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    If your Rifle hunting I don't see a need for wearing whites for Dall Sheep, but that's My opinion,
    True, and for the most part you really don't "need" them. I didn't use them on all the hunts either. But I've had, lets just say, "interesting" things happen on the very beginning, and the last few moments of a stalk that I believe "may" have allowed me to be successful wearing the whites. You just never know what can happen up there, and to me it doesn't really "hurt" to have them along if, of course, you don't mind not having that extra mt. house they would replace........lol

I once remember seeing a sub-legal ram laying down on a small patch of snow towards the top of a ridge. He had already pegged us and I knew it, but I don't think he thought we had seen him. Because he wasn't legal it was no big deal, and we didn't approach him, in fact were moving away from his direction. He laid there the longest time as we headed across an open area. But as soon as we moved behind a couple large boulders, in a split second he vanished. It was a long distance between us and I've often wondered what he would have done had we been wearing the whites...???

I haven't used whites personally, but my dad occasionally does on guided hunts. His long johns double as his whites so he's not carrying something extra for that purpose. Sometimes he'll jury rig game bags as well.
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. -- Sarah Williams

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Faerlyte View Post
    I haven't used whites personally, but my dad occasionally does on guided hunts. His long johns double as his whites so he's not carrying something extra for that purpose. Sometimes he'll jury rig game bags as well.
    I've heard of a similar approach. I carried the lightweight pants from sportsmans and had a white synthetic shirt as my base layer last year.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I've never used them, and while I don't doubt the success stories that people share when whites were used, I have to wonder if they wouldn't have been just as successful without and if they haven't blown some stalks that might have been otherwise successful. I just can't see a situation where I would choose to put the whites on over simply being more patient and/or moving incredibly slowly while exposed. My first sheep was taken after stalking across a shale/boulder field where I was totally exposed. The last 100 yards across the rocks took me more than an hour, moving one limb at a time as delicately as possible. That same stalk might have worked with whites, but then again, it might have just made me obvious when I was able to avoid detection without them.

I'd like to go spend some time playing with whites in the park sometime in the off-season. Without personally experiencing their effect and working out when to use them and when not to, I can't envision a time when I would take that risk rather than the slow, patient approach that I know works. I'll save those 9 oz. for a nalgene full of blueberries that I can pack out of the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I can't envision a time when I would take that risk rather than the slow, patient approach that I know works.
    Sometimes, no matter how patient a guy can be to try and move incredibly slow and undetected, there's just those few instances where the unforeseen happens.....a small slip that gets their attention, another animal that hadn't been seen, etc... These are the times that I believe the whites can be invaluable.

I would think that if a guys hunts long enough, eventually he's going to make a stalk where he feels the animal is almost a given. Then, usually at the last possible moment, something absolutely crazy happens to blow the whole dang thing into the crapper. It makes you shake your head and wonder how in the hell did that happen???!!! We all like to think we are masters at stalking animals, but good ol' mother nature is always out there to try and prove you wrong....and will do just that whenever given the chance.

Oh, I'm not saying that I've never blown a stalk or that I won't many times in the future, but just as you describe, there's no way to foresee when that might happen. As such, for me personally I feel like putting on whites is something of a hail mary and just can't see a situation where I would make that choice. I'd prefer to go slow and steady, wait things out, etc. rather than put on the whites. Again though, I have no experience with them and could be woefully wrong.

Glad to hear all the experiences and input on these. I'll most likely be taking them since my outfitter recommended that I do. Still like hearing about what everyone thinks of them, keep it coming

Ok I'll share my two cents for what it's worth. First off elk tyvek is the best option out there. You'll want to dirty them up a bit but your guide will likely just have you roll in the dirt a bit... Lol (sorry inside joke)
    Whites are simply a tool and only work in certain situations. Problem is since ole Russ put it in his book every novice sheep hunter out there threw a pair on for every situation and simply educated the sheep in most areas. The other problem is they mostly never worked on big lone mature rams. They know who is supposed to be around them. Brian funny you mention the park. That is one area we used to use them on regular basis but that was back when sheep populations were through the roof. They worked great to get across bowls amongst lambs and ewes. Times have changed though. I have only ever used them once in the alaska range in more trips then I can remember. It was an odd situation where a big ram was hanging with a lamb and ewe and we needed to get past her to him and it worked. I pretty much never rely on them or even use them but pretty sure they are still in the bottom of my pack. I know lots of sheep guides that still carry them for that what if situation. 9 ounces don't me squat to me when it comes to a successful hunt for my hunter. You have no worries as you will be with a guide so he will know what and when. If you do use them remember sheep don't carry backpacks or have black heads..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying that I've never blown a stalk or that I won't many times in the future, but just as you describe, there's no way to foresee when that might happen. As such, for me personally I feel like putting on whites is something of a hail mary and just can't see a situation where I would make that choice. I'd prefer to go slow and steady, wait things out, etc. rather than put on the whites. Again though, I have no experience with them and could be woefully wrong.
    Well I never really thought of them as a "hail mary"....as I still hunt with them on the same why I do without. I never actually decided I would do something to put them to the test during a hunt.....if they may help me out then fine, but I surely don't count on them. I kinda just put them on and forget about them. It was AFTER the fact that I thought they may have helped. Like I said before though, after the kill, they sure are nice to get all bloody instead of your clothes, then light a match to them. THAT was one thing I hadn't counted on that I thought was cool.....

Great cammo right now, besides Sheep hunting, snow or no snow, if you hunt Bull Caribou in unit 23, their near white and the loose hairs are "Poof!" ............ even when hit by an arrow.

Just sayin'
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....